1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Deck Reno

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by EMTDAD, Jun 3, 2019.

1. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

I've got a deck, roughly 12x16 or so built with the house back in 2001.. Mahogany, but solid stained. It's in direct sun from about 10am to 4pm during the summer. It's starting to look pretty beat up, with the flooring starting to rot in a few places, the steps are in need of re-treads and the tops of the rails are in need of replacing. The under-framing and posts seem to still be in very good condition, so this is more of a cosmetic update than a re-build.

Thinking of going with composite, rather than keep patching the wood deck. I'm pretty handy, and due to limited funds, it'll be a DIY project. Thinking of replacing the floor and steps this year, then doing the rails next year. Anyone have any potential pitfalls I might encounter by doing it in 2 phases? Hoping to lean on others' experience so I don't make the same mistakes.

2. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

1. Synthetic-composite-trex gets HOT.
    2. I don't think doing it yourself in 2 phases is a big deal.

this one gets sun almost all day

icehouse deck 1.jpg

Our front porch is trex as well, and i stepped out to get the mail in barefoot, and regretted it instantly....

MAGG likes this.
  3. qqac

qqac

Except that one time you take a picture of it, and it is in shade. ;) Seriously though, that looks like a nice spot.

ToddDubya, MAGG, EMTDAD and 1 other person like this.
  4. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

damn, i thought someone took out Janet!

Daddy Mac, Twigg, amm5061 and 2 others like this.
  5. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

HAHAHAHA right?

MAGG likes this.
  6. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

I've had good luck with PT decking. Just remember that it will shrink, so put it down with no spacing between. Jack.

MAGG likes this.
  7. nstassel

nstassel NES Member

If you're going to use compost railing or actually any type the 4x4 usually tie into the joists so there is some planning to do if doing in two phases.

8. crazymjb

crazymjb

We did the home depot brand in the back with the hidden stainless fasteners and multi-colored textured boards. It looks good, but it's only been 2 years. I think HD warrantees the boards for 15 or 25 years against fading. We'll probably do the front porch with the same stuff.

9. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

I did the HD composite on my front porch, and it DOES get hot. I used a dark walnut color, when I do the back deck, which gets even more sun, I will use a light gray to help with the heat. If you want to see how hot it will really get, buy a board or 2 and lay them on the deck during a couple of hot sunny days. For people that like to go barefoot on the deck you want to be sure it's not going to be like hot pavement in the summer.

10. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

Yes.. there are currently 4x4 railing posts already up (obviously). They would likely be covered with post sleeves, rather than replaced..

11. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

Light gray gets plenty hot too. I'm kind of hillbilly in that I love walking barefoot as soon as the temp is above 60. The front porch (light gray) was hotter than the driveway Saturday..... Much hotter.

richc and EMTDAD like this.
  12. NickyB

NickyB

Just did mine in Azek, one thing you might run into is joist spacing. Wood can span further than composite so not sure how the builders framed the original.

Daddy Mac and EMTDAD like this.
  13. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Good point. When I did my front porch it's not that big, I changed the spacing to 12". Another thing that is a bit of a pain with composite is the ends that are cut. I opted to picture frame around the edges, which then required adding a joist to accomodate the boards going the opposite direction. But it looks nice doing it that way.

14. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Good to know, will have to do some more research before making the change on the back deck. Don't want to make it too hot for the dog to lay out there in the summer.

15. EddieA

EddieA NES Member

This is a very timely thread, I'm in exactly the same boat.
    Thanks for the advice from me, too.

Junior314 likes this.
  16. widnerkj

widnerkj

You neglected to mention how damn slippery that Trex decking gets as well. I’ve had both feet shoot out from under me like a cartoon so many times.
    But yes, damn hot.

CoastieRon likes this.
  17. EC1

EC1 NES Member

for composite decking (have something like trex) use the fake grass carpeting where you plan to walk, keeps the soles of your feet from frying.

CoastieRon likes this.
  18. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

was alcohol involved in said slipping?

CoastieRon likes this.
  19. widnerkj

widnerkj

Sometimes, back when I used to drink. But when that stuff gets a little frost on it, it’s dangerous

20. MAGG

MAGG NES Member

there's nothing worse than an unsuspecting slip.....I have wretched my back just catching myself before falling...and tailbone injuries suck too

CoastieRon likes this.
  21. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

here's another question.. whoever built the deck, made one corner not 90°. It's shaped something like this:

can the composite rails be fitted to an angle other than square to the post?

22. JDL

JDL NES Member

We had the deck done early fall late summer last year we had the contractor use a composite the brand was Wolf because my wife liked the way the material looked. This is a nice premium product, however any of the composits are somewhat the same. I like the idea of no maintenance. The deck was original made of Cedar and was a pain to keep up. These guys did a great job. deck7.JPG deck9.JPG

andrew1220 and CoastieRon like this.
  23. Aaron[MA]

Aaron[MA] NES Member

I've done a few using composite railing assemblies from cape cod lumber (I forget which brand) [Edit: TimberTech railings Trademark Railing Colonial-Style Rail] and yes, the brackets that connect the top and bottom rail to the post have a pivoting almost hinge-like design. You have a lot of play as far as the angle at which the railing comes off the face of the post.

In fact for the stair railings, you rotate the bracket 90 degrees so it can be angled up/down instead of side to side...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    EMTDAD likes this.
  24. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

I am replacing my deck this fall as well. My parents had a screened in Gazebo built out of the Trex stuff. I will be using it on my deck.

25. Coda

Coda NES Member

I actually purposely planned for about a ½” gap in my deck boards. That way the spent .380 and 9mm shell casings fall through in between when I sweep my deck. :)

CoastieRon and andrew1220 like this.
  26. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

I hate my front porch with that fake crap. I used mahogany on the rear deck and love it.

27. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

It seems like a step backward to go from mahogany to composite

Composite is nice as far as maintenance goes but I agree that it gets stupid hot and mysteriously slippery with very little warning.

28. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

finally got this project done.. decided to just bite the bullet and do the entire project. Found a few posts that were rotted and a rim joist that was eaten by carpenter ants. Rest of the framing was in good shape. So.. 6 weekends later.. here's the before and after pics. Not 100% perfect, but I think I did a pretty good job for a non-professional. Only thing not pvc/composite is the stair stringers.

Cost about $3000 in materials overall I think.. Wondering what the pros here would've charged me to do it.. Deck is 12x20 roughly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

Nice work. I cant wait to get mine done.

30. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

I'm going to need to replace my deck boards next year. I was going to use trex until I stepped off my boat barefoot onto the gray trex boards this year to tie up, and immediately had to jump back on the boat.

I can barely get my 5yo to wear clothes in the backyard, nevermind shoes. It wouldn't end well for me.