1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Decent Trailer light kit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by terraformer, Dec 1, 2018.

1. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

I have a utility trailer that the lights are crappy and not all working. They are incandescent, the lens crack in the cold and some of the lights are already dead. I want to replace them and I can't find anything that gets decent reviews. Everything from aluminum core wires that disintegrate, DOA units, etc; Typical chinese crap problem. I just want something that isn't brittle, preferably LED and will last. Anyone have good experiences with a particular brand, or kit?

2. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

I bought a complete kit from trailerparts.com a couple years ago - still going strong, I replaced everything including the connectors.

3. deerdad

deerdad NES Member

Plenty of LED trailer light kits with harnesses on ebay. I had gotten a kit with enough ribbon wire to rewire my boat trailer. It had two ground wires already built in to the plug so there was no splicing to do for either side of the trailer. Sorry I can't remember the name but there's many to choose from.
    (edited)
    Just looked it up and it was two purchaces. One for the light kit and one for an extra wiring kit. Wiring kit was from a Hopkins towing and the light kit was a generic LED kit. I didn't use the wiring that came with the lights.
    trailer lights.jpg trailer lights wiring.jpg

Greg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. MP-In-The-Wind

MP-In-The-Wind NES Member

Ayuh...I bought from trailerparts.com also.... decent working lights...no issues!

5. Spanz

Spanz

Led ones at auto zone seem to hold up well

6. Talon3

Talon3 NES Member

Check for boat trailer rated or submersible as these should be totally sealed. Do check and seal any defects for using gasket sealer in a tube.

7. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

Sending me to eBay made me find a brand called Optronics and I found a set that seems to be well rated. I skipped buying the set and just bought the rears and the side markers separately. I am assuming the wiring of the trailer isn't toast but if it is, I would re-wire the trailer from individual wire and not buy anything like a kit anyhow. The trailer is one of those off the shelf utility trailers where they take angle iron, diamond mesh grating and a cheap axle, weld it all together and it makes a decent platform. They actually thought out the wiring pretty well so I would be surprised if they used copper plated crap.

Anyhow, thanks for the pointers. I have been noodling on this for months and took the trailer out last night and the rear right brake light was out. I knew a marker was out but with the brake light out, I couldn't wait any longer.

ETA: Optronics International > PRODUCTS > LED Lighting > LED Stop/Turn/Tail
    The glolight rears with 2" on center mounting and the MCL95 markers. They had some really nice lights but most are overkill for a utility trailer. We shall see how they work out.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  8. grey

grey NES Member

Dont use the crappy clip connectors or wire nuts found in most wiring kits. Instead use waterproof butt connectors. It takes a few extra mins but it's worth it in the long run. Other than that the l.e.d. kits should be fine since you won't be submerging it in salt water

garandman likes this.
  9. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Trailer Parts Superstore dot com has so good products and sales all the time.

10. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

KC highlights is highly rated and the company is owned by a gun guy. He was tight with Matt Burkett, at least before Matt went to the big house for spending a $50K deposit rather than using it to build guns.

garandman likes this.
  11. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

12. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

garandman likes this.
  13. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

After working with boats in salt water for years, we solder any wire connections we can, with shrink wrap over the insulation. We don’t solder the last connection to the light in case it has to be changed. We coat it with dielectric grease and use self-sealing tape.

14. terraformer

terraformer NES Member

I soldered these. They won't see salt but they shouldn't need changing all that often either.