Decent cheap wifi cameras?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My wife and I will be moving down south for the next year. A friend is renting a room from my house, so it will be occupied, but I'd like a couple cameras to watch the garage, basement (utilities), yard, etc. This is mainly in the event that he has to move out for any reason and I have a gap getting someone else in, but also given he probably won't be going in the basement or garage much I want to make sure nobody sneaks in and grabs anything, basement floods, etc, dehumidifier takes a shit, etc. I have a ring doorbell and for a few bucks more a month I think we can get unlimited additional camera storage, but the Ring cameras aren't super cheap. Also when we move back I'd like the keep the driveway, garage, yard, etc monitored.

Also wondering if I should go with something like this with an internal DVR that is remotely accessible:
View: https://www.amazon.com/ANRAN-Security-Wireless-Megapixel-Weatherproof/dp/B07XYP3TBY/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=anran+wireless+security+camera+system&qid=1581801260&sr=8-5

Thanks

Last edited:

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Wyze cameras are cheap ($25 or $35) and work decently, and can be bought at Home Depot. People in China with the virus may be watching you though. But, if the subject is boring, you may be okay.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
They can watch my garage and basement and driveway lol. Some of the systems with the included dvr seem attractive at 200 bucks with 2TB and 4 cameras

knoxy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I put up a bunch of Blink cameras.

They're simple to set up but only store to the cloud. No local storage if wifi is down.

They work well for my uses. Good enough if you can live with their limitations.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Not sure about that brand but Amcrest has comparable setups and have been good for the money. Also go wired if you’re going to be a plane ride away.

NES Member
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Depends on what your house and belongings are worth to you $219.99?
Ask you home owners insurance agent for recommendations, and review coverage for an absent owner.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Not sure about that brand but Amcrest has comparable setups and have been good for the money. Also go wired if you’re going to be a plane ride away.
Agreed — this is kind of an afterthought though at this point. I dont think I’ll have time to run wiring the next few weeks before we head out. For $200 the wireless system, even if it only makes it the next 18 months should do enough. I’m gonna take a look tomorrow and see if there’s a good way to pull the wiring the couple places I want cameras. Wife might kill me.

The house will be occupied by a friend who is renting/taking care or snow and landscaping. He only is on a month to month lease, however. All high dollar items will be with us courtesy of the army. This is mainly to watch some of the tools, yard, driveway, and utilities. I have an alarm system.

Brewer

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have Arlo Q, equipped for both wired and wifi, micro SD card in each for backup. Been very happy with them except occasional needing a hard reset (unplug and replug), so I have wifi plugs to do so remotely. It's a known issue and they've made it less frequent but still occasionally happening. QSee is another brand that interests me because you can display multiple feeds on one screen. But haven't looked too closely as I've invested heavily in Arlo and they're coming out with a security alarm too, so I want to see how it integrates with existing cameras before jumping to an all-new setup.

quiller

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wyze cameras are cheap ($25 or $35) and work decently, and can be bought at Home Depot. People in China with the virus may be watching you though. But, if the subject is boring, you may be okay.
Second on Wyze. Cheapest and best option I could find. I have several and all work great.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Been rethinking the wired camera idea and I am now looking at this setup from reolink:
Amazon Link

I don't really have a ton of time to be doing hardcore wire pulling, but I already have a pretty established chase from the garage to the basement, and this would allow me to monitor the driveway, garage interior, behind the house, and the basement. When I get back and have more time I can add 2 additional cameras on the other corners of the property if I decide I want to keep the setup running. Anybody use this stuff, seems to have good reviews on amazon/youtube.

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a couple of blink cameras up north. They are working good. The batteries are close to dead after 6 months though.
Not a big deal for me to head up and change.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
We had a 200$ amazon gift card so I ordered the ReoLink setup I linked to above. It seems to have pretty good reviews. 8 Channel DVR that records to a 2TB drive and is accessible remotely. 4 WIRED cameras that get their power/video over IP, so all I have to run is an ethernet cable. Additional cameras are 50 bucks, but this should be enough to monitor what I want to monitor when I'm gone. When I get back I'll bury another wire to the back fence so I can see the whole rear of the house and run a wire to the lamp post in the front yard so I can see the whole front, and that should do it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI5eCSMLGM4

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
hey, didn't i see a set of 4 cameras being sold as a security kit at that job lot place or harbor freight? one of the two, anyway i don't shop either place but do scan the circulars when i get them. i sorta remember the price being decent for 4 of 'em...might be worth checking out just because.....

Top Bottom