• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Decent 5 person tent for camping with kids.

mac1911

NES Member
Been a long time since I looked at tents and basically only had the large colman tent my dad bought in the 70s which gave way to serious seam failure and rot in 2001. Kids are now 8-11 and wanting to go camping.
any suggestions. Would be light use with about 80% most likely in tbe back yard

My brother has a Marmot Halo 4 person he likes. There is a 6 person version. Not too pricey for the size and quality. That said, I have been using a Kelty Outfitter 4 person that was about half the price and is holding up well. If this will mostly be back yard, look at the ALPS models. They are affordable enough that leaving it set up for the kids to use seems reasonable.

we tent camp.. get 2x the size.. , if you have 5 ppl.. get an 10 person tent MINIMUM.

we have this one... about 5 yrs old now... served us well.. love the hinged "door". Wife & I have a queen air mattress and my younger kids slept on 2 twins.. We still have plenty of room for all our clothes and crap. There's enough room to stand in the middle and I'm about 6'.
WeatherMaster® 10-Person Tent

floor is still in good shape and we spray the rainfly every year..

My older teen sleeps in his own tent now, the green one which is a 3 person I think.. he likes the privacy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LgSUERyZFbJhtMcA8
AF1QipPW8zoStKrbxUr7bOkdclJ_GcTKn0qbRZTGoflF

Last edited:
+1 for exactly what EMTDAD has recommended. The Coleman 10-person Weathermaster is the closest to what we have been using for ~23 years. Two boys in Scouts, lots of family camping sometimes with big dogs, all kinds of weather. It's held up very well. Last fall I was the only tent camper at the CMP matches at Camp Ethan Allen. One night rained so hard that my pop-up canopy collapsed due to water weight. Tent was perfectly dry inside.

You definitely want to double the number of people. 'Sleeps 5' means 5 people crammed against each other.

Something worthwhile that's a PITA and looks a little ugly would be to apply liquid seam sealer to all seams. I don't care who makes the tent and what they claim for waterproofing, I apply seam sealer. When backpacking, having a place to keep dry is important for survival. If only family car camping, keeping the wife and kids dry is important for your sanity.

For backyard use with kids, I’d just get a Coleman tent or something off of Amazon in that price range. And like bfm said, get a footprint for it or a tarp. If you get a tarp, make sure it fits the tent perfectly or a little smaller. If the tarp is bigger than the tent, the rain will puddle between them.

If you want better, I recommend an REI Kingdom 6 or 8. I had a Kingdom 6 for years and I loved it, I wish I’d never sold it. Easy to set up, great in bad weather, roomy as heck because of its shape.

Not my pics but this is how it looked.

14836EBE-FCD0-4F70-ABC2-261F276D65E0.jpeg
98392758-D3B3-4488-80E0-56F12E7321C2.jpeg
13E63C84-ACB3-4B6F-A109-587AED5F2B39.jpeg

REI Co-op Kingdom 8 Tent - 2018 | REI Co-op

Kodiak canvas. Run about $500 to $700 depending on the model. Can be set up by one person in about 5 minutes. They don't ever leak. Breath very well as they are real canvas. Pricey but worth the investment. Had one for 10 years. Use it 2 to 3 times a year. Still in perfect shape. No need for a tarp or footprint underneath....the floor is wicked thick rubber material.

Used it at rolling thunder rally with some army buddies slept 5 big burley bikers for 4 nights and was comfortable. We used 5 army cots and could store gear under the cots. Down poured 2 nights during thunderstorms. Not a speck of water leaked in.

10 x 14 ft. Flex-Bow Canvas Tent - Basic - Estimated Restock Date 7/25/19

Tents are like gun safes. The real-world capacity is half as much as advertised.

Depending on finances, your family composition and how well everyone gets along, consider getting two smaller tents instead of one bigger one. Might be worthwhile to have some separate space.

Tents are like gun safes. The real-world capacity is half as much as advertised.

Agree with this. I have a Coleman Sundome 6 person that I use when I camp alone. It fits a 42" wide cot and all my gear comfortably. It may have room for another person or 2, but it would be tight. I have been able to get a couple of queen size air mattresses in it, but it was tight with gear bags. I think when they size tents they take a standard sleeping bag and orient them to get max SLEEPING capacity with no consideration that people need to move around or stow gear. For example:
What-Is-Camping-Tent-Sleeping-Capacity-Wenzel-GrandView-9-tent.jpg

This is the Wenzel Grandview 9 person tent. Imagine having to take a leak in the middle of the night and your the one farthest from the door.

For car camping and backyard camping, I agree with many others, Coleman is a great deal. Now, if you were hiking somewhere, then totally different story. I use Tyvek for tent footprints. They work very well; very durable. A big old blue tarp with a roll of string is also great to have so you create a canopy for your site. Waterproof or not, rain sucks when you are camping and anything you can do to keep water away is a huge plus.

Coleman, like all other USA brands is NOT nearly what it used to be, but it's still fine for your average backyard/occasional camper. Good advice above.
I Agree. Coleman 10 person weather master tent is affordable for occasional family backyard use.

we tent camp.. get 2x the size.. , if you have 5 ppl.. get an 10 person tent MINIMUM.

we have this one... about 5 yrs old now... served us well.. love the hinged "door". Wife & I have a queen air mattress and my younger kids slept on 2 twins.. We still have plenty of room for all our clothes and crap. There's enough room to stand in the middle and I'm about 6'.
WeatherMaster® 10-Person Tent
^This. CostCo (Nashua) had some Coleman tent with a hinged door
~2 summers ago, and I was very impressed to look at it.

Not a bad deal.

Kelty Discovery 6 Tent | REI Co-op

Be sure to get a footprint, or at least a tarp to put under it though.
Both our backpacking and car-camping tents have footprints,
and we put a blue tarp underneath them.

And The Bride uses the teentsy hand-rake from her overpriced Brookstone gardening set
to remove all the sticks, pebbles, and acorns before we lay down the blue tarp
before we erect the tent. Because poking a hole in the floor sucks,
and poking a hole in the footprint is almost as bad - it doubles the odds
you're gonna get water pooling that will desperately seek a way inside.

Frankly, be sure to get every damned accessory they sell when you buy the tent.
Because tent-makers change tent designs like car makers change body styles.
And if you decide you want the accessory after purchase, you probably can't get it.

In particular, if there are optional vestibules that add overhang
or storage space outside the door, get them immediately.

We got the optional vestibule for our car camping tent, and it's big enough
to sit in with two lawn chairs in a pinch. (You need that to doff/don shoes anyhow,
to keep the mud out of the tent). By the time I realized that REI had a meta-vestibule
that added an igloo tunnel that we could have run to the dining canopy,
they'd changed the tent design, and the V2 tunnel isn't compatible with the V1 tent.

Hell, the V1 tent came with instructions that refer to some strange not-included
(and not sold separately) frob that would hold up the center panel of the roof fly.
I have to wonder if it caused capillary leaks (see below) or premature wear.
But that center panel fills with over a gallon of water in a heavy rain anyhow.
Stupid thing ought to have a grommet with barbed drain
and a few yards of surgical tubing.

You definitely want to double the number of people. 'Sleeps 5' means 5 people crammed against each other.
And you don't want gear or people touching the side walls, at all.
In the days of canvas tents, that would initiate a capillary leak through the fabric,
and you couldn't stop it until the fabric dried again.

That may not be the case for modern nylon cloth, but why tempt fate?

See more about air mattresses below.

Something worthwhile that's a PITA and looks a little ugly would be to apply liquid seam sealer to all seams. I don't care who makes the tent and what they claim for waterproofing, I apply seam sealer.
Well, apply it to all the seams that are supposed to keep water out.
I went nuts and applied it to seams
above the level of the bottom rim of the mesh roof,
before I realized it was absolutely pointless. Duh.

I'll second what EMT said, bigger is better.
We also have a separate easy-up shelter to go over a picnic table-cooking area.
A good thing when it's wet out.

For the picnic table, we have the 10'x10' PahaQue.
pahapicsr101_1024x1024.jpg

It's the only shelter I could find with screening
and opaque walls that flip out to become awnings,
on all four sides.

Turns out there's an optional floor, which is out of stock when I look.
I wouldn't use it camping because NFW
am I going to slide a 400 pound Dannemora Prison-built
log picnic table atop a piece of fabric, let alone walk on it with shoes.

But I might buy it on general principle if only it would go back into stock.

Also, I got a gen-u-wine 10'x10' pantograph E-Z Up without walls
for short money at Ocean State Job Lot before the Dayton/Xenia Hamvention this year.
Was vital because my secondary elmer's deluxe E-Z Up w/ walls
has acquired a hole the size of a bucket at the apex. It'll be the size of
a bushel basket next year, too.

I am almost tempted to bring the E-Z Up as well as the Paha Que,
because setting up or breaking camp in a downpour is insane...
36eu6e.jpg

...and while an E-Z Up is going to fail first in wind or heavy rain,
it gives you someplace temporary to stand and fold stuff,
yet can be closed in less than 2 minutes.

I have a Coleman Sundome 6 person that I use when I camp alone. It fits a 42" wide cot and all my gear comfortably. It may have room for another person or 2, but it would be tight. I have been able to get a couple of queen size air mattresses in it, but it was tight with gear bags. I think when they size tents they take a standard sleeping bag and orient them to get max SLEEPING capacity with no consideration that people need to move around or stow gear.
Cot in tent by noon, hole in floor by evening?

It took two Queen-sized airbed failures
before we found a merely Full-sized replacement.
Which is what we should have had in the first place,
except they're rare in stores in our preferred design (no built-in motor).

The Queen made it almost impossible to fit gear inside the tent,
and the extra sleeping space was useless.

I use Tyvek for tent footprints. They work very well; very durable.
Interesting.

EmperorsSteelTent_Wallpaper.jpg

Note Sardaukar for scale, in front of the door.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom