Decapping splindle slipping

I have a brand new set of Hornady 9mm dies and as hard as I try, I can't get the sizing/depriming die setup right.

For some reason the spindle keeps slipping and won't lock in place and as a result it won't knock a primer out.. I've adjusted it and have tightened the spindle lock with a wrench over and over again and I keep getting the same result, a slipping spindle.

The die and it's parts look perfect but some thing is wrong.

Any suggestions on how to cure this would be welcomed.

No oil and the dies are real clean. I think I'm going to swap the spindle with one from a different set.

Pull the die apart and make sure there's not something keeping the nut from fully seating. If not, put it back together and tighten it up. Lean on it, those things need to be tight.

Maybe try a drop of semi permanent loc-tite on the stem? I dont see what it could hurt. t will still let the stem slide up before you break the decapper. Just dont use the permanent stuff, its like super glue. I have had the same problem with my lee dies. You really have to get them tight as EC suggests. The sand paper scuff might work as well. Clean it really well with a solvent to remove any residue to get a good grip. Good luck.

Jeez Bugs, I thought only the blue people were treated nicely when it came to repairs etc.

Glad you are up and running again, I like Hornady dies.

Hornady sent me a new die body and it works fine now.

Back
Top Bottom