Deals and steals

3 years ago I replaced my 15yo ryobi drill with a drill driver combo kit, nothing wrong other than bad batteries, the kit was only a little more than two new batteries, I was able to use my good old batteries. If I was in the trades I would go with Milwaukee or DeWalt but for my occasional use they work just fine. It's a crime to rarely use premium tools, like buying a ma deuce and leaving it in the safe
I have Ryobi and Milwaukee corded drills and they both work well. I have a Rigid cordless that is a tank and will drive deck screws all day long.

If those were quality tools, they would be over $100 each. If you want tools that will work and last, buy Milwaukee. Buy once, cry once.
The regular price is $299 so it's $100 off for a special purchase price. I had to buy the Ryobi for that price. It seems to work well so far. Plus it's always cheaper when you bundle purchase stuff. I like all the other tools they have that's compatible with their batteries. I also have the Porter Cable equivalent that cost me $320 almost 5 years ago.

Last edited:
How is Ryobi quality these days? I have almost all those tools, but corded. Dayum, that's tempting.
Short answer, I think they are a great value.

Long answer. I worked at HD back during college and I remember the end of the old blue Ni-Cad Ryobi tools. They would set up displays with Milwaukee, Dewalt and Ryobi to show it had the power. It may have had the power, but I found if you needed an ounce more, you would let the smoke out. That hasn't been my experience with the newer Ryobi tools. I have had a set and been slowly expanding during sales, or when I need it. I bought and original set with charger, two of the small batteries, Drill, flashlight, and small circular saw. I have added a right angle drill, recip. saw, Impact driver, 1/2 inch impact wrench and several of the big 4 AH batteries and another charger.

Flash light sucks, but I still use it all the time, but it is incandescent as that is what came with my starter kit. My kit also had the cheapest and smallest circular saw. Great for luaun, 1/4 ply and quick cuts on 1x3, 1x4s. I would consider one of the newer bigger ones. The 1/2 in impact has exceeded my expectations and then some. In fact yesterday I had a friend ask for help replacing struts on the front of his Ford Explorer. His Porter Cable 400 ft-lb air impact wrench wasn't working right. He got most of the way through the passenger side over 3 hours with hand tools and a long breaker bar. My cordless impact took care of the other side in 45 min start to finish. I had left to get another battery and charger if he needed it and he had it apart before I got back 10 min later!

The Recip saw has also been well used. From cutting drywall, plastic and steel pipes, demo work, to pruning trees, it has been great. Even this past winter when my Japanese maple didn't drop leaves before a rain/ice storm. Lost three branches that were leaning against one of those Intex 4 ft deep pools. very close to collapsing it. Luckily the recip and pruning blade were right on the basement stairs and I ran out in a 32 degree rainstorm to cut all the branches up and pull off the pool. Worked great.

I would NOT get Ryobi if I built a deck or house every day. I would get Ryobi if I do my own or help a buddy with his addition or deck, fix random stuff, etc... This is a great heavy DIY homeowner range of tools. Even within the range, there are different level of quality and price, but the value is there and you get more than you pay for, I think.

Except batteries. Best deals are Black Friday, and possibly about now just before fathers day. Best Deal I saw was this based on the use I have gotten out of it. Not the strongest Impact, but if you know the limits. 300 ft-lb + the bigger battery for $99! Great deal. Again, not for a mechanic. But for me who spends 1/4 of my weekends a year under the car, perfect.

RYOBI ONE+ 18-Volt Cordless 3-Speed 1/2 in. Impact Wrench Kit with (1) 4.0 Ah Battery and Charger-P261K1 - The Home Depot

My table saw is a Ryobi. It's quality is pretty low. It does what I need, and I didn't pay much, but if I were a contractor it would go in the dumpster. I mainly got it because it folds, so other than the few times a year I use it, it is taking up almost no space in my garage. The clamp holding the blade's angle is so weak I have to keep checking it to make sure it didn't shift. Most of the screws and nuts are black-oxide coated an they started rusting after 1 year in the garage.

Home Depot has Ryobi 6 piece tool kit for $199
I need to unsubscribe from this thread. It's not just the money. I'm trying to thin out the clutter in this house and this isn't helping[laugh].
Good find @akma.
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. I don't have a reciprocating saw or impact driver and my old Rigid cordless drill still works but has puffed smoke out the motor vents twice recently. I'm a home owner, not a contractor, so this will do.

My table saw is a Ryobi. It's quality is pretty low. It does what I need, and I didn't pay much, but if I were a contractor it would go in the dumpster. I mainly got it because it folds, so other than the few times a year I use it, it is taking up almost no space in my garage. The clamp holding the blade's angle is so weak I have to keep checking it to make sure it didn't shift. Most of the screws and nuts are black-oxide coated an they started rusting after 1 year in the garage.
I'll agree on this. I wouldn't go for most of the Ryobi plug in stuff.

1621874620855.png1621874678398.png1621874694402.png

How is Ryobi quality these days? I have almost all those tools, but corded. Dayum, that's tempting.

I've been a Ryobi guy for about 20 years, and here's why:

1. The 18 volt tools I bought back in 2000 are still able to run on the same batteries all the new ones use. That's a long time for a company to keep the same platform, and Ryobi has committed to not changing this policy. That means not having to buy different batteries every time you buy newer versions of tools.
2. No other line offers the same variety. I have a weed whacker, hammer drill, 5 speaker set, pool vac, glue gun, and more that all use the same batteries. All work well for cordless tools.
3. At least 2x per year, Ryobi offers promotions where you buy something (kit, batteries, or a tool) and get something free. These are great times to pick up additional batteries, or to buy some of the more expensive brushless tools.
4. Many of the tools work surprisingly well! I love the 1/2" impact wrench. There's a video somewhere on Youtube of some guys who took one to a junkyard and tried to bust loose every rusty nut and bolt they could find. They were successful.

The tools offered in these kits are generally the lowest tier models in the Ryobi lineup. For quite a few tools, like drills and impact drivers, there is usually a better model available, and then there's the best, which is brushless. There will be a big sale going on starting this weekend, which will include a deal where you buy a battery kit and get a free tool. There will probably be sets on sale as well.

Also keep an eye on Directoolsoutlet. They are an authorized Ryobi distributor, and often offer great deals on "blemished" items. Rumor has it they can;t sell below HD prices, so they need to mark things as blemished in order to skirt the system. I've picked up some over the years, and there's never been an issue or a blemish.

Last edited:
Home Depot has Ryobi 6 piece tool kit for $199
This cost me money today.

I picked up the 4pc kit as I thought the 5.5" circular was a bit small and I didn't need the multi-tool, but $130 for the two drills, a pair of batteries, and a sawzall wasn't a bad deal.

View attachment 485468
How does one NOT buy it just for the airsoft icon alone??!? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Best is the infographic. " JUST TRY AND SHOOT ME IN THE TAINT, BRO! I DARE YA!"

The regular price is $299 so it's $100 off for a special purchase price. I had to buy the Ryobi for that price. It seems to work well so far. Plus it's always cheaper when you bundle purchase stuff. I like all the other tools they have that's compatible with their batteries. I also have the Porter Cable equivalent that cost me $320 almost 5 years ago.

I had teh old blue Ryobi set. The batteries were crap but the tools were fine for a homeowner. Hell, for a homeowner, Harbor Freight is usually fine. Not all of us need to build 8 decks this week.

View attachment 485621View attachment 485625View attachment 485626

I've got a set of the originals. It has to be a decade or more ago. Early days of Etsy. Some guy cast and painted these things. I've got AR guy, AK guy, Flamethrower guy (with cigar and goggles) and mortar guy. Plus from somewhere else I got SamLJacksonGnome. AR and AK are interchangeable as the guns are removable. I've got one prone and one kneeling.

All of mine are painted traditional garden-gnome colors. They are on the bookshelves in my living room.

Anyone see recent or Memorial Day promo codes for Shooters Connection or Ben Stoeger Pro shop, or any similar place that has competition gear?

Anyone see recent or Memorial Day promo codes for Shooters Connection or Ben Stoeger Pro shop, or any similar place that has competition gear?
Benstoeger pro shop just sent out an email about sig red dots being on sale…that’s about all I’ve seen.

Pic 4 of that AMZN link - how do they get teh reticle leveler to balance on the bbl like that? LOL

And how do you know it's on level when you put it on????
the picture is retarded. it is a chinese knock-off - but, should work, and, a $7 is ok.

Back
Top Bottom