Deals and steals

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
MassSave is selling smart thermostats at deep discounts:

Basic NEST thermosat for $9.99, EcoBee3 Lite $19.99, Emerson and Honeywell thermostats for $10 to $20. Top of the line NEST for $79, top of the line EcoBee for $99.

That's up to $150+ off retail pricing.
Are these the real ones? Must be from MASSSAVE right?

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
☦️ Boston Gun & Rifle and Braintree Rifle & Pistol
Can you install and run those without connecting them to the Internet/WWW/cloud? Would like a programmable thermostat, and would be OK with programming it, and then disconnecting from network. Anyone know?
You don't have to connect them to your local utility, that's an opt-in thing. Once set up if you want them disconnected from the internet you simply disconnect them from your home-wifi and control them from the touch screen.
No. They need to phone home. If they're not connected to wifi they get upset.
Oh they get sassy, but HAL9000 they are not.

I'd keep my old thermostat in a closet as a back-up, but these smart ones allow you to tweak your HVAC system to run so much better they are worth it in savings. Moreso when its an opportunity to recapture your extorted tax dollars.

Boghog1

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Anybody got a lead on Athlon optics black Friday deals? Looking to grab a Cronus with the aprs6 mil reticle. MK machining had a 25%off deal but only aprs1 reticles available ☹️

not sure if they have what you need

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No. They need to phone home. If they're not connected to wifi they get upset.
How so? If I shut down my wifi router, does my heat stop?

Do you have proof that they NEED to be connected to the Internet in order to work?

The .gov has a back door on these thermostats allowing them to turn down heat/cooling as the grid requires. Don't go online for anything important like this.
Cite?

You don't have to connect them to your local utility, that's an opt-in thing. Once set up if you want them disconnected from the internet you simply disconnect them from your home-wifi and control them from the touch screen.

Oh they get sassy, but HAL9000 they are not.

I'd keep my old thermostat in a closet as a back-up, but these smart ones allow you to tweak your HVAC system to run so much better they are worth it in savings. Moreso when its an opportunity to recapture your extorted tax dollars.
This seems to contradict the two quotes above yours. Right now, I have a slightly older, yellowed Honeywell RTH230B. It is a "5+2" I think, which was working fine for me. The buttons are not quite as responsive as they used to be, and it does not light up at night. At some time, I want to replace it. The only thing I would change would to be add lighting at night. Can't seem to find that, everything has tons of bells and whistles.

Mesatchornug

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
How so? If I shut down my wifi router, does my heat stop?
Do you have proof that they NEED to be connected to the Internet in order to work?
I have a pair of Nest thermostats in my home. They complain when anything is wrong: wifi disconnected, power isn't reliable on the c wire, etc.

It'll probably work without internet connection. But you won't gain any of the benefits of having smart devices - learning, optimizing to your schedule; remote controls and alerts, etc.

I've been talking with a colleague about trying to develop competitive devices that don't require phoning home, but it's a huge initial lift, and most of the market has demonstrated that it doesn't care enough about the difference.
There are optional tools to connect to your utility. I have no info about any back doors to be able to either confirm or deny.
This seems to contradict the two quotes above yours.
I'm sure he's literally correct.

At that point, you would be better served by traditional programmables, which are still available and can be had for free or near to it through mass save.

Ron Jablonski

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

not sure if they have what you need
Ya I saw that, $1360 is a really good price. I don't have any experience with euro optic and they're not on Athlons AD list. Not sure how legit it is. I wanted to buy from Camera Land but it's out of stock.

FancyGunz

NES Member
Rating - 97.1%
33   1   0
Ya I saw that, $1360 is a really good price. I don't have any experience with euro optic and they're not on Athlons AD list. Not sure how legit it is. I wanted to buy from Camera Land but it's out of stock.
EuroOptic is an extremely reliable and well known vendor for optics. You can trust them.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
At that point, you would be better served by traditional programmables, which are still available and can be had for free or near to it through mass save.
Please give the link. I had a $30 one in my Amazon cart, but after 2 months of waiting for delivery, I cancelled the order. I see some basic ones at HD for $25-35, and the 5+2 or 5+1+1 for closer to $50.

You guys are crazy. Find a Honeywell round tstat with the mercury bulb inside. Blow the dust out every couple of years and it will still be keeping your great-grandchildren warm.
Still have one of those.

I also have this mechanical programmable thermostat which I took out. It had all sorts of gears and things to make it work. It did work, but it was a pain to adjust. I was hoping for a wifi or bluetooth thermostat I could program by computer or phone easily, that does not connect to the Internet.

Thanks guys.

Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Arcturus wool blankets (they also sell ghillie suits). I just bought 2 of them last week, normally $38 or $45 depending on the pattern or lack of it. I'm happy with them, might buy a couple more. Their Black Friday deal is 20% off everything on the website, and as always... orders over $50 ship free. I got my blankets within 2 days of ordering them. arcturusgear.com

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please give the link. I had a $30 one in my Amazon cart, but after 2 months of waiting for delivery, I cancelled the order. I see some basic ones at HD for $25-35, and the 5+2 or 5+1+1 for closer to $50.

Still have one of those.

I also have this mechanical programmable thermostat which I took out. It had all sorts of gears and things to make it work. It did work, but it was a pain to adjust. I was hoping for a wifi or bluetooth thermostat I could program by computer or phone easily, that does not connect to the Internet.

Thanks guys.
Dumb programable
$14.98

Wifi, uses Honeywell's app which is probably less intrusive.
$19.00

$9.99

$19.99

Ecobee because NEST/Google sux.
$19.99

Emerson
$9.99

Last edited:

Mesatchornug

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That Lux 5/2 looks promising.

Again, just want the basics. But I don't want something cheap, that is going to crap out in less than 5 years.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Arcturus wool blankets (they also sell ghillie suits). I just bought 2 of them last week, normally $38 or $45 depending on the pattern or lack of it. I'm happy with them, might buy a couple more. Their Black Friday deal is 20% off everything on the website, and as always... orders over $50 ship free. I got my blankets within 2 days of ordering them. arcturusgear.com
Those look pretty nice. I need to check the dimensions. Nothing beats wool for warmth, except down. ;-p

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

paul73

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you install and run those without connecting them to the Internet/WWW/cloud? Would like a programmable thermostat, and would be OK with programming it, and then disconnecting from network. Anyone know?

this one can work locally just fine - for a $10 i would get it for sure.

Mesatchornug

Instructor
NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
OK, I was ignoring the c-wire conversation, but now it looks like this Honeywell T5 might need a "c-wire".

So, what is it?
Smart thermostats draw more power than traditional designs. The easiest way to do this is to scavenge it from the 24 Vac system that carries your control signal.

In heat only systems, it's common to find a two wire control design - usually red and white (R-W). These systems often don't have both sides of your AC circuit because it wasn't needed previously.

The most correct solution would be to replace the wiring with a 3-wire cable ( R-W-C, where C is "common" and often blue). Most people don't want to pull wires through their walls, so the alternative is to pull your W wire down to the opposite pole from your R wire.

Waher

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I was ignoring the c-wire conversation, but now it looks like this Honeywell T5 might need a "c-wire".

So, what is it?
T5 Sales Sheet states:
  • Choice of battery or hard-wire operation wired power source to fit your home.
Install guide shows 3 batteries if not wired.

So you don't need a (C)ommon wire. [Typically blue or green]

Last edited:

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MassSave is selling smart thermostats at deep discounts:

Honeywell thermostats for $10 to $20.

Thanks for the tip.

We have a Honeywell VisonPro8000 w/outside sensor which in 2005 was about the best you could get. It has been very reliable but without WiFi it is a bit tedious to change programing on and the green/black LCD display is generations old tech. Might change it, might not, but either way it does not hurt to have a backup when the price is right.

So I ordered the Honeywell RTH9585WF from this deal. The discount is a little bit over hyped seeing as how they are everywhere for $99 but the bottom line is a good deal.

Shipping & Handling$0.00
Subtotal$134.99
Sales Tax$8.44
Total$143.43
After an instant rebate of:$100.00
Manufacturer Discount:$25.00
Amount Due$18.43

🐯

Top Bottom