Deals and steals

not sure if they have what you need
Ya I saw that, $1360 is a really good price. I don't have any experience with euro optic and they're not on Athlons AD list. Not sure how legit it is. I wanted to buy from Camera Land but it's out of stock.

Ya I saw that, $1360 is a really good price. I don't have any experience with euro optic and they're not on Athlons AD list. Not sure how legit it is. I wanted to buy from Camera Land but it's out of stock.
EuroOptic is an extremely reliable and well known vendor for optics. You can trust them.

At that point, you would be better served by traditional programmables, which are still available and can be had for free or near to it through mass save.
Please give the link. I had a $30 one in my Amazon cart, but after 2 months of waiting for delivery, I cancelled the order. I see some basic ones at HD for $25-35, and the 5+2 or 5+1+1 for closer to $50.

You guys are crazy. Find a Honeywell round tstat with the mercury bulb inside. Blow the dust out every couple of years and it will still be keeping your great-grandchildren warm.
Still have one of those.

I also have this mechanical programmable thermostat which I took out. It had all sorts of gears and things to make it work. It did work, but it was a pain to adjust. I was hoping for a wifi or bluetooth thermostat I could program by computer or phone easily, that does not connect to the Internet.

Thanks guys.

Arcturus wool blankets (they also sell ghillie suits). I just bought 2 of them last week, normally $38 or $45 depending on the pattern or lack of it. I'm happy with them, might buy a couple more. Their Black Friday deal is 20% off everything on the website, and as always... orders over $50 ship free. I got my blankets within 2 days of ordering them. arcturusgear.com

Please give the link. I had a $30 one in my Amazon cart, but after 2 months of waiting for delivery, I cancelled the order. I see some basic ones at HD for $25-35, and the 5+2 or 5+1+1 for closer to $50.

Still have one of those.

I also have this mechanical programmable thermostat which I took out. It had all sorts of gears and things to make it work. It did work, but it was a pain to adjust. I was hoping for a wifi or bluetooth thermostat I could program by computer or phone easily, that does not connect to the Internet.

Thanks guys.
Dumb programable
$14.98

Wifi, uses Honeywell's app which is probably less intrusive.
$19.00

$9.99

$19.99

Ecobee because NEST/Google sux.
$19.99

Emerson
$9.99

Last edited:
Last edited:
That Lux 5/2 looks promising.

Again, just want the basics. But I don't want something cheap, that is going to crap out in less than 5 years.

Arcturus wool blankets (they also sell ghillie suits). I just bought 2 of them last week, normally $38 or $45 depending on the pattern or lack of it. I'm happy with them, might buy a couple more. Their Black Friday deal is 20% off everything on the website, and as always... orders over $50 ship free. I got my blankets within 2 days of ordering them. arcturusgear.com
Those look pretty nice. I need to check the dimensions. Nothing beats wool for warmth, except down. ;-p

OK, I was ignoring the c-wire conversation, but now it looks like this Honeywell T5 might need a "c-wire".

So, what is it?

Can you install and run those without connecting them to the Internet/WWW/cloud? Would like a programmable thermostat, and would be OK with programming it, and then disconnecting from network. Anyone know?

this one can work locally just fine - for a $10 i would get it for sure.

OK, I was ignoring the c-wire conversation, but now it looks like this Honeywell T5 might need a "c-wire".

So, what is it?
Smart thermostats draw more power than traditional designs. The easiest way to do this is to scavenge it from the 24 Vac system that carries your control signal.

In heat only systems, it's common to find a two wire control design - usually red and white (R-W). These systems often don't have both sides of your AC circuit because it wasn't needed previously.

The most correct solution would be to replace the wiring with a 3-wire cable ( R-W-C, where C is "common" and often blue). Most people don't want to pull wires through their walls, so the alternative is to pull your W wire down to the opposite pole from your R wire.

So, what is it?
T5 Sales Sheet states:
  • Choice of battery or hard-wire operation wired power source to fit your home.
Install guide shows 3 batteries if not wired.

So you don't need a (C)ommon wire. [Typically blue or green]

Last edited:
MassSave is selling smart thermostats at deep discounts:

Honeywell thermostats for $10 to $20.

Thanks for the tip.

We have a Honeywell VisonPro8000 w/outside sensor which in 2005 was about the best you could get. It has been very reliable but without WiFi it is a bit tedious to change programing on and the green/black LCD display is generations old tech. Might change it, might not, but either way it does not hurt to have a backup when the price is right.

So I ordered the Honeywell RTH9585WF from this deal. The discount is a little bit over hyped seeing as how they are everywhere for $99 but the bottom line is a good deal.

Shipping & Handling$0.00
Subtotal$134.99
Sales Tax$8.44
Total$143.43
After an instant rebate of:$100.00
Manufacturer Discount:$25.00
Amount Due$18.43

🐯

You guys are getting me in trouble...I just got back from three months up visiting my son in Alaska. Walk through the door and my wife goes "what the hell have you been ordering online?!?" as she points to this absolute stack of boxes in the kitchen....I guess I kind of lost track of all the orders I placed... Oops!

You guys are getting me in trouble...I just got back from three months up visiting my son in Alaska. Walk through the door and my wife goes "what the hell have you been ordering online?!?" as she points to this absolute stack of boxes in the kitchen....I guess I kind of lost track of all the orders I placed... Oops!

On the bright side, I was like a kid on Christmas morning opening all my packages...

Emerson
$9.99
I’ve been using this one for the last few years. Works great. I don’t have a C-wire so I have to run batteries

I have a pair of Nest thermostats in my home. They complain when anything is wrong: wifi disconnected, power isn't reliable on the c wire, etc.

It'll probably work without internet connection. But you won't gain any of the benefits of having smart devices - learning, optimizing to your schedule; remote controls and alerts, etc.

I've been talking with a colleague about trying to develop competitive devices that don't require phoning home, but it's a huge initial lift, and most of the market has demonstrated that it doesn't care enough about the difference.

There are optional tools to connect to your utility. I have no info about any back doors to be able to either confirm or deny.

I'm sure he's literally correct.

At that point, you would be better served by traditional programmables, which are still available and can be had for free or near to it through mass save.
I f****** hated my nest

Biggest pos i ever had

Back
Top Bottom