Deals and steals

murf4321

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread constantly reminds me of the crap people buy…low price does not equal a deal. Would rather save and have one good rifle then two crappy ones made of el’cheapo specials from the interwebz

My father in law does this and it dives me BANANAS. I’m a buy once, cry once guy, & he’s a made in China whore. When I buy something, he’ll sometimes do the same, and then every conversation goes like this “and I only paid $4 for my defibrillator, so I didn’t pay as much as you” implying I’m the retard.

Most recently did this with his lawn tractor. I sent him to the commercial dealer I use because they have awesome service, he refused and spent the next year fighting with Lowe’s to get the right bag attachment for the tractor he saved $200 buying while it sat unusable.

Also loves buying dogshit ski equipment bragging how cheap it is, so while I’m warm on the lift, he has to go into the lodge every 3 runs. Yeah, you got a great deal Hoss.

Last edited:

Repeater1988

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
My father in law does this and it dives me BANANAS. I’m a buy once, cry once guy, & he’s a made in China whore. When I buy something, he’ll sometimes do the same, and then every conversation goes like this “and I only paid $4 for my defibrillator, so I didn’t pay as much as you.”

Most recently did this with his lawn tractor. I sent him to the commercial dealer I use because they have awesome service, he refused and spent the next year fighting with Lowe’s to get the right bag attachment for the tractor he save $200 buying while it sat unusable.

Also loves buying dogshit ski equipment bragging how cheap it is, so while I’m warm on the lift, he has to go into the lodge every 3 runs. Yeah, you got a great deal Hoss.
Sounds like every old man ever haha

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I have a package of scalpels for you, half price. Note, they may not all be sharp. Is that a deal?

I have a bottle of aspirin for you, cheapest on the market. They may or may actually be smarties. Still a deal?
[laugh] You missed the memo buddy. Low price is not directly correlated with low quality. We’ve already addressed that 10x. Try espresso. It’ll wake you up faster than coffee [coffee]

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Just because something is inexpensive doesn’t necessarily mean it is junk. Also, just because something is expensive doesn’t mean it isn’t junk.
For some reason, people have a very difficult time understanding this!
If it’s low cost, that junk will break in 2 seconds so might as well buy 3 which will cost you more in the end! [rofl]Oh boy..

Mesatchornug

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
[laugh] You missed the memo buddy. Low price is not directly correlated with low quality. We’ve already addressed that 10x. Try espresso. It’ll wake you up faster than coffee [coffee]
You're the only one still saying that's debated.

I'm saying the claim that they're all the same is flatly bunk.

I actually manufacture with Chinese partners. Do you? Yes, you can get very good parts for a good price by going off shore.

You can also get parts where literally every dimension is out of spec, and they use the wrong materials. If you're not personally confirming spec on your parts, how do you know they're what you paid for?

The easiest way for a new builder to do this is to shop with a reputable manufacturer. The above example of AR-Stoner is a good one - their parts are fine, and built to a price point. And they're tied to a company with good customer service, who cares about their image.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Being raised by parents who grew up during the Great Depression, followed by being young adults during the shortages and rationing of WW-II leaves a mark.
I call bullsh*t on that. What leaves a mark is not saving and having to live on SS and very little retirement, that is why most are cheap. Add the retarded cost of health care and every prescription, most of the older folks are on like 17 different pills, and it makes sense they try to save money everywhere.

Most people don't learn, when life is good they forget what happened 5 years ago and make the same mistakes.

Mr.E

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a different statement than "they're all the same."

No, if every dimension is out of spec, it's not a deal. It's just cheap.
Dimension is just one thing. Materials is another. You can give me a 100% in spec lower for example that’s been 3D printed with a polymer..It’s junk compacted to an in spec made out of 7075.
All the garbage components don’t get so cheap because the manufacturer wants to give you a deal. There were corners cut.

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dickies workwear everything 20% off in the cart, no minimum for free shipping.

🐯

paul73

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, people have a very difficult time understanding this!
If it’s low cost, that junk will break in 2 seconds so might as well buy 3 which will cost you more in the end! [rofl]Oh boy..
There was a period of time not so long ago when only cheap junk was available online.
It is no longer true. Reliable mid-tier like aero is now everywhere. Stoners are discounted lower than PSA. Why to argue?
I sent link to aero bcg at $114. Yes one can get a $60 junk one, but, why? Over $40?

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I sent link to aero bcg at $114. Yes one can get a $60 junk one, but, why? Over $40?
It's not just "over $40". You're talking literally 2 for the price of 1. And the chance of that 1st BCG serving your needs reliably is pretty high. If it doesn't work out, you have a second one. With the Aero option, there's also no guarantee that it'll survive the torture just like anything else, except this time you have no backup. In the end, it's your money, your choice.

Mesatchornug

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
It's not just "over $40". You're talking literally 2 for the price of 1. And the chance of that 1st BCG serving your needs reliably is pretty high. If it doesn't work out, you have a second one. With the Aero option, there's also no guarantee that it'll survive the torture just like anything else, except this time you have no backup. In the end, it's your money, your choice.
Ummm...that's literally what a warranty is. If the product fails for material or workmanship reasons, the manufacturer will replace or repair it.

So what you're proposing is that a person should be responsible for all warranty efforts on everything they buy.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Ummm...that's literally what a warranty is. If the product fails for material or workmanship reasons, the manufacturer will replace or repair it.

So what you're proposing is that a person should be responsible for all warranty efforts on everything they buy.
DiamondBack has a lifetime warranty on all their products, so your point is moot.

Mesatchornug

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
DiamondBack has a lifetime warranty on all their products, so your point is moot.
That's good to know. Telling us "Diamondback makes a $60 BCG with a lifetime warranty that they reliably honor" would have prevented this whole argument and been helpful to the poster who asked for help. That would put us in the same conversation as folks have about Vortex.

Because that's not your "they're all the same." Which would include, for example, Moriarti, who deliver out of spec parts and refuse to warranty them (until it got posted on SOTAR)

View: https://youtu.be/r40WaaS3Nt8

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View: https://youtu.be/juNqfxhirBM

NSFW bad word.

Bmcl322

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Top Bottom