Dealer transfer Fee?

I thought dealer transfer fee was for the gun going into the dealers book and out to the new owner. I had a dealer tell me that's it's a fee to take it in and a fee to transfer it out. I thought he was kidding. Did I miss something ?? I am getting older I only paid the fee once! WTF

News to me. There's plenty of FFLs out there. Don't get hosed, pay once. I think last time I paid $30 or something like that.
Or, as a friend of mine used to say, if you F... me, at least pull my hair.

I thought dealer transfer fee was for the gun going into the dealers book and out to the new owner. I had a dealer tell me that's it's a fee to take it in and a fee to transfer it out. I thought he was kidding. Did I miss something ?? I am getting older I only paid the fee once! WTF

Use a different dealer, most dealers don't do transfers that way, it's one fee for the whole thing.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to send them an email and see what they say before I throw them under the bus. Maybe the guy was New. I will post the responce

You're not throwing anyone under the bus, just disclosing a policy that they have. Some dealers in MA are transfer-averse. I wish they would just say "Sorry, we don't do these" rather than do what I call "throwing a**h***" at the customer.

-Mike

You're not throwing anyone under the bus, just disclosing a policy that they have. Some dealers in MA are transfer-averse. I wish they would just say "Sorry, we don't do these" rather than do what I call "throwing a**h***" at the customer.

-Mike

Happens in NH too. Annoying as shit.

I've never paid more than $25. I understand the shop wants to make some money for their time and bookkeeping, but any more than $25 is unreasonable

I've never paid more than $25. I understand the shop wants to make some money for their time and bookkeeping, but any more than $25 is unreasonable

I don't mind paying $30 or $40 even, if the dealer is easy to work with... that means a lot, particularly when doing an inbound transfer. Logistics and operating hours also play a role.

-Mike

Last edited:
Your post does not make it clear. Does he want to charge you two fees, or is this just how he explained it to you, and the cost is 1X?

He wanted to charge $25 to put the gun on his book. $25 to transfer it to my friend. I hope this post clears it up. He wanted to charge me twice. I explanied I have done transfer before and only paid $25 I have paid $40/35 Some dealer say No charge u do enough business in my shop.

Last edited:
He wanted to charge $25 to put the gun on his book. $25 to transfer it to my friend. I hope this post clears it up. He wanted to charge me twice. I explanied I have done transfer before and only paid $25 I have paid $40/35 Some dealer say No charge u do enough business in my shop.

Take your business elsewhere, and let him know why.

I wish we could just have as many private sales as we want. The 4 per year thing sucks. I also hate going to an FFL just to sell a gun. Good thing I haven't bought a house yet... I'm looking North...

Name any other business that will let you use their business license to buy a product they sell, from a supplier of your choosing, and run it through their shop. Perhaps you could go to a bike store and say "There is this bike wholesaler who will sell me a bike for considerably less than the identical model on your floor, but will only sell to a retailer. Can I pay you a nominal fee for handling the transfer through your shop?".

Or, go to a used car lot and ask if you can buy a car at Adessa and have them handle the paperwork for a transfer fee rather than wholesale to retail markup.

Name any other business that will let you use their business license to buy a product they sell, from a supplier of your choosing, and run it through their shop. Perhaps you could go to a bike store and say "There is this bike wholesaler who will sell me a bike for considerably less than the identical model on your floor, but will only sell to a retailer. Can I pay you a nominal fee for handling the transfer through your shop?".

Or, go to a used car lot and ask if you can buy a car at Adessa and have them handle the paperwork for a transfer fee rather than wholesale to retail markup.

This is true however look at it the other way. The transfer laws are giving them business they otherwise wouldn't have. Someone buys a gun off gun broker and I make $30 in 5 min time? I'll take it! Hell I would love to get an FFL and just do transfers from 4-6pm mon wed and friday.

Back
Top Bottom