• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DCR 5 yr permits shipping out the end of this week

DJBrad

NES Member
Just got the word and I’m waiting patiently for mine. These are for the Wachusett watershed.

Well, the director I spoke with told me so on that Tuesday but apparently that is not the case!

All good stuff for us Coyote. I was happy to hear that east of Rt 190 is only in the second year that the dcr land was opened up. Pretty dense woods in those spots.

didn't they open up certain sections years ago ( west of 190) ? i seem to remember getting the permit at the Dam headquarters in Clinton but never hunting the area that year.

Not sure how long it’s been since west of 190 was opened but east of 190 had its first opening last year. Not sure if that was the very first time it was opened.

didn't they open up certain sections years ago ( west of 190) ? i seem to remember getting the permit at the Dam headquarters in Clinton but never hunting the area that year.
Just found the year in the DCR webpage that west was opened in 1996. East opened last year because there was significant deforestation reported by the rangers so after a public quorum it was opened to all hunting but the reservoir zone is strictly whitetail only.

I’m pretty pumped to get into the Sudbury watershed after they decide on the 5yr permits on 9/18 too.

So, I thought I had applied for this permit, but misplaced it; so I called the office. They had no record of me having any permit, so whatever I had must be expired (acccording to them, but they only have most recent ones).

Anyhow, what I found out is there are 2 types of DCR permits one can get. One is for hunting DCR lands, and the other is for a controlled hunt immediately around the reservoir. I think I had the latter.

So, now in Massachusetts, I could have this many permits to hunt:
hunting license
DCR permit
DCR controlled hunt permit
antlerless permit (lottery)
antlerless permit (extras)
turkey stamp
duck stamp ("waterfowl"?)
bear stamp?
Is there something for predators, bobcats?
Archery season
black powder season
fishing
saltwater fishing
boat registration (one entity)
boat trailer (another entity)
Long Pond pass (sells out in morning on one special day in the Winter sold only at Quabbin)

I think I need an accountant, just to keep track of everything!

Last year was the first year for the Wachusett Reservoir Hunt and 53 deer were taken. You must have had the DCR watershed permit which was limited in land area before last year. Reservoir Zone is deer only. Watershed land is ALL game available under whatever license, permits, and stamps you have.

But wait there’s more! I talked with the app developer today for hunting dcr lands and lots more land opened up in the new app and online viewer. Erica Tefft sent me the web link and I also added this map to my app. That’s no joke on how much land area is available on that 5 year permit now. Ware River is open expansively. Once Sudbury opens we’ll have lots of options and private spots.

https://eoeea.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=704d057f51104539abfe755e67a66fa4

Hey, that map is handy. Looks like I hit the nail on the head when I mentioned Rutland!

What that map doesn't have, are other public lands, like municipal town forests, etc.

Imagine if you could have a combined map with those lands. Then put it into a GPS powered cell phone app, so you know exactly where to hunt or not hunt.

That map no longer works. Got a new link?

This all said, I think the meeting for the Rutland State Park gate closing boondoggle is this coming Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom