DCF protects children from guns and.....nothing else

Last week I was unfortunate enough to have the pleasure of witnessing a DCF home safety inspection. An employee of mine was trying to get last minute custody of his grandson. He asked me to be there because they wanted character witnesses for him and his wife and he had misinformation that he would have to get rid of all his guns and wanted me there to take them if need be. Apparently during a phone interview an hour earlier his wife said yes there are firearms in the house.

So the DCF guy shows up and hands a giant packet over that needs to be read, filled out and returned. The next words out of his mouth are "I need to see your firearms license". Glances at it says ok and that he assumes they are all locked up and that he is a gun owner as well.

Next up smoke and carbon monoxide detector test, info about pets and wants to see where the child will be sleeping. Last question before the fun begins, do you have any alcohol or chemicals and are they out of reach of children. My employee answers there is beer in the fridge, the guy says "ok i doubt the kid can open the fridge".

Now he says he needs to see where all the guns are locked up and adds that he owns some guns as well. Lets just say my employee enjoys hunting and shooting so we have to go all over the house to go through his 3 safes. He is then asked to show that they are all unloaded and take any ammo out of the safes and lock them up somewhere else. Lastly and stupidly he shows the one he is carrying.

DCF guy said ok looks good to me and goes out to call his supervisor. Comes back, "I'm really sorry sir but you need to put trigger locks on all the guns and have them locked in the safe". My employee will do anything to get his grandson so he agrees and we spend the next 45 minutes looking for locks and removing bolts. DCF again says thank you, apologizes and says the rule is ridiculous. He makes the call that everything passes and to bring the kid over.

When he comes back in he informs my employee that he will not be able to carry while he has custody of his grandson. In fact he tells him he can not even open a safe or touch a gun while the child is on the property!!!!! WTF He asks if he is ok with that and says "if it were him he would not agree to this".

Out of a 2 hour home inspection 1:45 was spent on firearms. He didn't check that the chemicals are stored safely. How about those knives on the kitchen counter, nope. The guy asked if there were train tracks nearby in case the kid wanders off, hey jackhole I guess you don't care about the 2 ponds less than 100 yards from the house? They have a pool, did you even look to see if the gate had locks or anything, no. How about the 1200 sq ft garage out back with all bay doors open, it full of sharp things, heavy things, chemicals you name it, nope he didn't seem to care about that. Hmmm there is a lot of heavy equipment parked around the property, I'm sure a little boy would love to go climb all over that stuff!

Just make sure your guns are double locked and useless and by the way you can basically never touch them again.

In the end my employee agrees to everything, he would rather give up his rights than have his only grandson end up at a strangers house.

F you DCF

The DCF dude probably wasn't a gun owner. Probably just said that to give a false sense of security that he was on the guy's side.

Trigger locks are dangerous.... They can accidentally pull the trigger while wiggling the lock around trying to get the stupid thing off.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

You should talk to my neighbors. Their twins were stolen from them for over a month by DHS. It turned out that one of the twins had a fractured femur. DHS blamed the parents and stole both kids. Thankfully for the parents, the MRI operator admitted that she jammed the leg hard to get it into the machine, thereby fracturing the femur. So, 6 weeks later, and countless dollars spent on their attorney, they got their girls back.

****ing Nazis.

There was too much to write in the first post but more is coming back to me. Like DCF said you can come home from work when the kid is in school and get your gun to carry.

I love how this kid has been to the house 100's of times, lived there for over a year at one point and was perfectly safe and somehow managed to not shoot himself. However now that DCF thinks it owns the kid they can impose insane rules on a blood family member of the child. It was disgusting to see and hear.

I was there as a character witness, never even spoke to me. He left a bunch of sheets to be filled out and returned in 3 days with more references and said they will be contacted as character references. Then they dropped the kid off. Ummmm shouldn't you check references before placing the child? What if everyone says they are bat s___ crazy but the kid is already there?

You should talk to my neighbors. Their twins were stolen from them for over a month by DHS. It turned out that one of the twins had a fractured femur. DHS blamed the parents and stole both kids. Thankfully for the parents, the MRI operator admitted that she jammed the leg hard to get it into the machine, thereby fracturing the femur. So, 6 weeks later, and countless dollars spent on their attorney, they got their girls back.

****ing Nazis.

DHS is one of those three letter government agencies that need to be abolished by any and all means possible. They are simply another means of control by the progressives, which also need to be eliminated by any and all means possible

In response to the OP, you have to realize that is not a standard practice with DCF. I am not saying I agree or disagree with the DCF DOA's decision regarding the firearms. I worked for them for over 7 1/2 years and I am not here to bash or defend the agency and their practices. The agency is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They often work in worst case scenarios because the have all happened. Im assuming DCF has custody through C&P or 29c. Either way DCF is saying he is "ok" to have his grandchild in his home, therefore the risk goes to DCF if something happens, whether in reality it does or not. If nothing ever happens as in most cases awesome, but god forbid something happens with the firearm and the child is around that will reverberate in the press and they will get destroyed, new policies will be made and heads will hang. Once again I am not here to debate DCF but like every agency there are great workers and really shitty workers. Most important thing here sounds like the child will be placed with family. Also there should be a home finder assigned where all the other things are checked and talked about(access to water, pools, dogs, etc etc), and if that was the worker that came out and didn't address those things, well refer to my previous sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
In response to the OP, you have to realize that is not a standard practice with DCF. I am not saying I agree or disagree with the DCF DOA's decision regarding the firearms. I worked for them for over 7 1/2 years and I am not here to bash or defend the agency and their practices. The agency is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They often work in worst case scenarios because the have all happened. Im assuming DCF has custody through C&P or 29c. Either way DCF is saying he is "ok" to have his grandchild in his home, therefore the risk goes to DCF if something happens, whether in reality it does or not. If nothing ever happens as in most cases awesome, but god forbid something happens with the firearm and the child is around that will reverberate in the press and they will get destroyed, new policies will be made and heads will hang. Once again I am not here to debate DCF but like every agency there are great workers and really shitty workers. Most important thing here sounds like the child will be placed with family. Also there should be a horn finder assigned where all the other things are checked and talked about(access to water, pools, dogs, etc etc), and if that was the worker that came out and didn't address those things, well refer to my previous sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimately, DCF is useless and redundant at best. At worst, it is jack booted thuggery. Before DCF, this situation would have been resolved in 3 minutes. The grandchild would move in and life would go on normally and happily. Instead we tax citizens huge amounts of money to pay the salaries of the useless eaters who work for DCF, give them fat fat pensions at taxpayer expense after 20 years, 20 years they spent ****ing families over.

Government has NO business being involved in any of this!

I would tell DCF what they want to hear and then do what the hell I wanted to.

Thats what I would do as well. After DCF left I told him he should have only showed him the smallest safe that had a couple beater shotguns.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes this is in MA

I would tell DCF what they want to hear and then do what the hell I wanted to.
Yup, this.

Friends of mine struggled for years to keep being foster parents (and later adopt) a little girl. My friend owns guns although I don't think he was forbidden from carrying the gun. DCF really wanted to give the girl back to their meth addict biological mother. They were very concerned about my friend with a great job and nice home being Christian. Apparently that is far worse than being a meth addict. It took 10's of thousands in lawyer fees to prevail against DCF.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

There was too much to write in the first post but more is coming back to me. Like DCF said you can come home from work when the kid is in school and get your gun to carry.

I love how this kid has been to the house 100's of times, lived there for over a year at one point and was perfectly safe and somehow managed to not shoot himself. However now that DCF thinks it owns the kid they can impose insane rules on a blood family member of the child. It was disgusting to see and hear.

I was there as a character witness, never even spoke to me. He left a bunch of sheets to be filled out and returned in 3 days with more references and said they will be contacted as character references. Then they dropped the kid off. Ummmm shouldn't you check references before placing the child? What if everyone says they are bat s___ crazy but the kid is already there?

It's not about the kid! It is about filling out the proper paperwork and hitting whatever metric they need for their review.

The social workers may start out wanting to help but the system grinds them down until they accept that the only result the system allows is more system.

Ultimately, DCF is useless and redundant at best. At worst, it is jack booted thuggery. Before DCF, this situation would have been resolved in 3 minutes. The grandchild would move in and life would go on normally and happily. Instead we tax citizens huge amounts of money to pay the salaries of the useless eaters who work for DCF, give them fat fat pensions at taxpayer expense after 20 years, 20 years they spent ****ing families over.

THIS

****ing Nazis.

THIS !!!

If you think it can't happen to you - you are very wrong. It's just a question if someone points them your way. Your kid mention (innocently) that their daddy went hunting and shot something, the wrong school official hear it - you get a visit. Someone hear or see you discipline your kid and can ID you, if they report it, you get a visit.

HAVE A PLAN.

My kids know that if anyone shows at the door unannounced and I tell them to get to the basement, they do it. If it's DCF, they don't get in without some serious effort on their part with a warrant. While this goes on, my kids know where the trail is that leads to the Midstate - my inlaws will pick up the kids and stash them until I can retrieve them.

DCF was not really needed in this situation -> only the order that the unfit parent is unfit as they had a place to go.

The problem is when DCF is really needed and they can't get the order that a parent is unfit with the result of a child ends up in a group home for the rest of their life because of the level of abuse.

Ever see a kid hide under a desk, curled up in a ball because of simple rebuke? - IE "Hey Jonny, its time to put away the crayons so we can go outside"
Until there is no sentence for taking the issue up with the dirt bag parent, we need DCF.

Whenever our DCF workers came out with oddball rules I would ask to see it in writing in their policies. Even though having guns and ammo in the same safe is legal, they have a written policy against it. I complied, but their is no written policy against legally carrying a firearm while caring for a child unless they came up with that in the last four years. Despite the fear we all have towards DCF, they still have to follow their own rules. Demand to see the policy. No policy? Take it to a lawyer.

We jumped through every hoop, as long as they could show it to me in writing. I don't regret doing it but it's rubbish.

Our DCF worker knew I carried, it's why she placed our son with us, death threats from the birth father and his gang. No one else would take the risk. Every day I thank God for that circumstance that brought him to us and not someone else.

Whenever our DCF workers came out with oddball rules I would ask to see it in writing in their policies. Even though having guns and ammo in the same safe is legal, they have a written policy against it. I complied, but their is no written policy against legally carrying a firearm while caring for a child unless they came up with that in the last four years. Despite the fear we all have towards DCF, they still have to follow their own rules. Demand to see the policy. No policy? Take it to a lawyer.

We jumped through every hoop, as long as they could show it to me in writing. I don't regret doing it but it's rubbish.

Our DCF worker knew I carried, it's why she placed our son with us, death threats from the birth father and his gang. No one else would take the risk. Every day I thank God for that circumstance that brought him to us and not someone else.

Thats a great idea, I'm going to tell him to ask for their policy once this dies down and they get settled. this all happened within about 6 hours yesterday.

A big round of applause to all those who have adopted children on this forum. It takes a special kind of person to raise our greatest resources.

If anyone is truly" thinking about the children" it's you guys. :)

****ing Nazis.

sweet jesus, how hard do you have to "jam" a leg into the machine to break the strongest bone in the human body? What did she use, a hammer?

Thankfully for the parents, the MRI operator admitted that she jammed the leg hard to get it into the machine, thereby fracturing the femur. So, 6 weeks later, and countless dollars spent on their attorney, they got their girls back.
Better call Saul. If they can prove the MRI operator broke the femur, they'll get their legal fees and then some.

- - - Updated - - -

Thats a great idea, I'm going to tell him to ask for their policy once this dies down and they get settled. this all happened within about 6 hours yesterday.
Better if you file a public records act / foia request for the policy - if you don't have kids, they can't retaliate against you.

I haven't read all the replies. So my response is to the original post.

The welfare of a child is at stake. I would agree to do anything they asked. Until the child was in my custody.

And then I would do NONE of what they asked. Period.

Yes those sons of b1tches until the cows come home. THE END JUSTIFIES THE MEANS.

Then do what is right.

Don

p.s. They are just making this 5h1t up as they do it. I know someone who took custody of a relatives child in a similar way. His experience was very different. The DCF person asked if he had guns, then asked to see the safe. My friend showed it to him, just the outside of it, and the guy signed off on the situation. THERE IS NO FORMAL PROTOCOL. LIE LIE LIE. Get the child then do what you need to do. Do what is ethically right, which is to do whatever is necessary to get the child into a good home. Then do what ever is necessary to keep that child safe. (loaded gun on your person, all others locked up, double locking not necessary, and loaded as you see fit)

Last edited:
sweet jesus, how hard do you have to "jam" a leg into the machine to break the strongest bone in the human body? What did she use, a hammer?

Yea, that type of injury doesn't usually occur outside of major trauma. I'd be out for blood...

Better call Saul. If they can prove the MRI operator broke the femur, they'll get their legal fees and then some.

- - - Updated - - -

Better if you file a public records act / foia request for the policy - if you don't have kids, they can't retaliate against you.

I worked at Pfizer for 6 years. People would often say "its policy" to dodge questions. My boss suggested that I ask them to cite the policy number, since we had a policy database where everything could be looked up. Its amazing. In nearly every instance of my time at Pfizer when I asked someone to cite a policy, they could never come up with it.

What a crock of shit. The social worker asked if my guns were locked, unloaded. Showed a 1911 empty, showed how to clear it and said she could touch it if she pleases as i was handing it over. All set. Have a nice day.

Mr. Candypants is jerking his chain.

Back
Top Bottom