• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DC to appeal Parker (gun ban), case to the SCOTUS.

Interesting article on this at law.com:

Both Sides Fear Firing Blanks if D.C. Gun Case Reaches High Court
Tony Mauro
Legal Times
July 30, 2007

The case of District of Columbia v. Heller is barely at the Supreme Court's starting gate, yet nearly everyone involved has a growing sense that this will be the Big One.

It is shaping up as the case that finally forces the Court to decide one of the most keenly debated issues in constitutional law: the full meaning of the right to keep and bear arms declared by the Second Amendment.

Washington, D.C., Mayor Adrian Fenty is appealing a March 9 ruling by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit that struck down the city's handgun ban on Second Amendment grounds. The Court has given the city until Sept. 5 to file, and the other side -- residents who want the ban overturned -- say they too want high court review. If the Court accepts, the case could be argued early next year.

But even as the case heats up, factions on both sides seem to be getting cold feet. The concern is that even after nearly 70 years of high court silence, the time might not be right for it to speak to the Second Amendment question.

On the pro-gun-rights side those worries, along with long-simmering rivalries, have relegated the National Rifle Association to the sidelines in a case that could fulfill its most fervent dream: a declaration by the Court that the convoluted wording of the Second Amendment ensures an individual's right to bear arms, rather than a collective right of state militias. If the right-leaning Roberts Court embraces that view, regulating firearm possession and use would become harder, though not impossible.

Alan Gura, the Alexandria, Va., lawyer who masterminded the challenge to the D.C. handgun ban, says the NRA has joined him "ever so grudgingly" only in recent weeks, after years of trying to wreck the litigation and avoid a Second Amendment showdown. At earlier stages, the NRA sought to consolidate its own case, which challenged the D.C. law on a "kitchen sink" array of rationales, with Gura's. In a 2003 filing, Gura called the NRA case "sham litigation" aimed at muddying his Second Amendment claim.

Even after the D.C. Circuit ruled in March, says Gura, the NRA lobbied for legislation to repeal the D.C. handgun ban as a way to keep the case out of the Supreme Court. "The NRA was adamant about not wanting the Supreme Court to hear the case, but we went ahead anyway," says Gura, a name partner in the firm of Gura & Possessky. "It's not their case, and they are somewhat territorial."

FRIENDLY FIRE

Gura insists that if the high court grants review, he will argue the case himself and won't defer to NRA lawyers, such as Stephen Halbrook, who have Supreme Court experience. "My decisions in the case have been the correct decisions. That's why I am arguing and he's not."

NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam denies his group sought to sabotage Gura's case: "Our intent to file an amicus brief if the case progresses speaks for itself." He also noted that the NRA filed a brief supporting Gura with the circuit court.

Yet Charles Cooper of D.C.'s Cooper & Kirk acknowledges that when he reviewed the Heller case at an earlier stage for the NRA, "my concern was then, as it is now, whether our [individual rights] theory of the Second Amendment would command a majority of the Supreme Court." Even with recent changes in the composition of the Court, says Cooper, "that is still not as clear as I would like it to be, though I am much more calm." Nonetheless, Cooper says, if the high court declines to take up the D.C. case and lets the D.C. Circuit ruling stand, "that's not going to disappoint me."

Cooper's reluctance is based on legal strategy, but others say the NRA has less lofty reasons for not wanting the Supreme Court to decide what the Second Amendment really means. "The NRA would lose its loudest fund-raising drum if this question is answered," says Carl Bogus, a leading scholar who favors the militia rights view of the amendment.

The pro-gun-control side has also had misgivings about appealing to the Supreme Court. Other cities and states worry that if the Supreme Court upholds the circuit decision, their own efforts to regulate firearms will be in jeopardy. By not appealing, D.C. could have limited the damage to only its law.

"Obviously a lot of factors went into Mayor Fenty's decision to appeal. He wanted to do what he could to protect the city's laws," says Dennis Henigan of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, a leading gun control strategist. "On the other hand, there have been some changes on the Supreme Court that could affect the outcome."

Addressing concerns about the nationwide impact of an adverse ruling, Washington, D.C. Attorney General Linda Singer says, "Our obligation is to the residents of the District of Columbia." She also says, "We have a substantial chance of success on the merits" at the Supreme Court.

Singer indicated the case would not be argued by an outside Supreme Court advocate, but rather a lawyer on her staff, though she did not say which one.

A natural candidate, says Henigan, would be Alan Morrison, the former head of the Public Citizen Litigation Group, who is leaving a Stanford Law School teaching position to join Singer's staff as a special counsel beginning Sept. 4. "He's a huge talent," says Henigan, who also says the city's solicitor general, Todd Kim, is "a terrific lawyer."

Morrison, who has argued 16 cases before the Supreme Court, confirms he has been working unofficially on several projects including the gun case recently.

DODGING THE BULLET

With the Roberts Court's increasingly sharp right turn last term, it might seem that the outcome of the case is predictable: a victory for the pro-gun forces and the individual rights view.

But things aren't that clear-cut, says Bogus, the Second Amendment scholar and a professor at Roger Williams University's law school. "It does not fall out clearly on the liberal-conservative divide," he says, noting that some conservative legal scholars such as Robert Bork oppose the individual rights view, while some liberals like Laurence Tribe back it.

The justices themselves have said remarkably little about the Second Amendment through the years, though at least two of them -- Antonin Scalia and Clarence Thomas -- have said enough to convince most analysts that they would support the pro-gun, individual rights view.

In a 1997 decision, Printz v. United States, Thomas said, almost wistfully, "Perhaps, at some future date, this Court will have the opportunity to determine whether Justice [Joseph] Story was correct when he wrote that the right to bear arms 'has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic.'"

For his part, Scalia, in a book 10 years ago, described "my interpretation of the Second Amendment as a guarantee that the federal government will not interfere with the individual's right to bear arms for self-defense."

During their confirmation hearings, new Justices Samuel Alito Jr. and John Roberts Jr. were asked about their Second Amendment views.

Senators grilled Alito about his 1996 dissent in United States v. Rybar, during his tenure as a judge on the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. In that decision, Alito said Congress had overstepped its powers under the commerce clause when it passed a ban on machine gun ownership.

But Alito said during his 2006 hearing that his was a "very modest position," adding that Congress could cure the problem by including in the law some statement or finding that asserted a connection between the ban and interstate commerce.

Roberts, when asked directly about his view of the Second Amendment, demurred on the grounds that the issue could come before him. But he did say in his September 2005 hearing that 1939's United States v. Miller had "side-stepped the issue" and left the meaning of the Second Amendment "a very open issue."

Miller marked the last time the Court dealt directly with the meaning of the Second Amendment. It upheld a restriction on sawed-off shotguns, asserting that the laws appeared to have little to do with "a well-regulated militia."

To Henigan of the Brady Center, Roberts' stated view of Miller was telling. "When he said that, it was a signal, to my ears" that Roberts would take the individual rights view. Most gun rights advocates also say Miller sidestepped the Second Amendment question, says Henigan, while "nine circuit courts have found that Miller did in fact decide the meaning of the Second Amendment" as a militia right.

Little is known about the other justices' Second Amendment views. As is often the case, Justice Anthony Kennedy might cast the deciding vote.

No matter what the outcome of the case, even the pro-gun-rights Gura believes it will be far from the last word the Supreme Court has on the subject of the Second Amendment.

"There's this incredible temptation, which I don't understand, to think that one Second Amendment case will resolve everything," says Gura. "It doesn't work that way." Even if the Court declares it protects an individual right, the scope of the right will have to be fleshed out, he says. "It will take an eternity to resolve."

The last paragraph is especially interesting to me as it reaffirms my belief that even if we "win" this round (which is not at all assured), the ruling will most likely leave plenty of room for states's regulation of firearms.

You're certainly more of an optimist than I am, Ken. [wink] I just don't see, barring a SCOTUS pro individual rights decision or a massive change in membership, Circuits that are already inclined to go through tortured legal contortions to find a justification for their desired end changing their minds any time soon.

I predict that the U.S. Supreme Court will take the case and will affirm it, 5-4, for the following reasons.

There is no question as to how Roberts, Scalia, Thomas and Alito will vote. Similarly, there is no question as to how Stevens, Breyer, Souter and Ginsburg will vote. It only takes four justices to allow a petition for certoriari, and at least one of the two sides will think they have Kennedy. Ergo, the case likely will be heard.

Once again, the text of the Constitution comes down to Anthony Kennedy's whim, and though Kennedy may be unpredictable, the Second Amendment is the Celebrity Jeopardy version of jurisprudence. There is no way to parse out the Amendment as anything but an individual right -- at least not with any degree of honesty -- and Kennedy is not going to be cajoled into striking out part of the Bill of Rights this time. He still has egg on his face from that Kelo v. City of New London disaster, which resulted in the first slaps against the Court from the Executive and the Legislative branches in a long time.

Moreover, recent decisions have seen Kennedy swing back to the right. Hein v. Freedom From Religion Foundation, Meredith v. Jefferson County Board of Education, Ledbetter v. Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co...the list goes on. The Supreme Court is more conservative it has been since the Burger Court.

This appeal is Adrian Fenty's hubris. This is the hubris of all of the members of Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" group. They don't have the slightest clue that gun control is a dying issue. At least the Capitol Hill Democrats have been smart enough to get off
that ship before it sinks. They should have cut their losses and limited the decision as binding upon D.C. only.

We, on the other hand, should all be happy for the Supreme Court to take this one, because it's a real "heads I win, tails you lose" case for us. A loss should be no big deal -- we've been operating for the last 220 years as though the Second Amendment didn't really exist. If we win, the case creates a judicial challenge against every gun control law ever drafted.

The best part is that only Mayor Fenty could have asked the Supreme Court to review this case, since D.C. was the losing party before the Court of Appeals. I can't wait for the wailing and gnashing of teeth after this one is over, especially when the lamenters wake up to the fact that they have only themselves to thank for it.

We, on the other hand, should all be happy for the Supreme Court to take this one, because it's a real "heads I win, tails you lose" case for us. A loss should be no big deal -- we've been operating for the last 220 years as though the Second Amendment didn't really exist. If we win, the case creates a judicial challenge against every gun control law ever drafted.

+1 to that.... this is what I've been saying all along..... (crossing fingers).

-Mike

IANAL, but keep the following in mind:

- As a matter of practice, the SC always tries to decide a decision as narrowly as possible, given the facts of the case.

- This case is ONLY about the right to keep a firearm in your home within DC. It is NOT about CCW or carrying anywhere outside your home.

Given the above, my fuzzy crystal ball says (if they take the case and rule for the 2nd Amendment):

- The ruling would ONLY allow possession of a gun inside the home of those in DC (or other places that prohibit same, e.g. Morton Grove/etc.).

- The ruling will likely NOT restrict any state/local law that could dictate HOW the gun is stored, or who is/is not suitable to have this privilege. [Lens prediction: If a city/state dictated that the gun be stored disassembled, ammo locked up in a separate room, etc. . . . any SC ruling would NOT change these restrictions.]

- Permitting process is not likely to change. So who gets one, under what circumstances, etc. is not likely to be affected.

- I don't expect any change to MGLs, Boston's laws, etc. You still won't be able to store a gun unlocked and loaded in your home with or without a permit. You will still need a discretionary permit to possess any gun at home.

I hope I am totally wrong on this!

Perhaps I mis-read it, but my belief was that the entire basis of the case was that someone in DC wanted/needed a handgun but was not grandfathered in the full-ban on any handguns that weren't in DC on some date way back when.

I don't recall. I thought the basis of the case was that DC's restrictions (disassembly and/or locked) made a firearm unusable and therefore violated their right to self-defense but then I remembered some of the plaintiffs were removed from the case due to lack of standing.

The lone plaintiff remaining had a firearm for work but was told he couldn't keep one in his home, IIRC.

Those are the facts of the case, but the legal basis was that under the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution he had a individual right to have the firearm in a usable state. That right, not specific facts, will be what the decision is about.

Ken

Bring it on...

Hi,

Relatively new poster here, lurked alot. Longtime gun owner.

As for DC vs. Parker, it's about time. Based on most of the rulings I've heard from SCOTUS since Alito, I think it's our best shot. I also think this could be wide reaching, beyond DC and beyond mere home possession.

A 2nd Amendment ruling should be the holy grail for SCOTUS. It's been relatively untouched aside from Miller. This is a good chance to either close it or blow it wide open. I think the latter is more likely. We have lots of history on our side, and if a 70's SCOTUS can broadly interpret Roe v. Wade, this court can go the other way.

You wanna hope for something? I think, if they hear the case, it's possible to hear "The Supreme Court today announced that unless you're a convicted felon or an adjucated mental defective, you're entitled to carry a gun."

Bring it on, I say.

Last edited:
the only way

can't be political here, just have to beat their ass into the ground
legally. ther's no other way. they actually think that gun restrictions will solve crimes, especially shootings.

Pin heads.

JimB

Assuming a cert. petition is filed by Labor Day, 2007, an order on it would likely appear in January or February, 2008.

Well, since that is a week from today, any word on whether or not this "cert. petition" is going to happen?

Looks like it's a go...[rockon]

D.C. Appeals to Supreme Court on Gun Law

39 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — The District of Columbia on Tuesday asked the U.S. Supreme Court to overturn a ruling that struck down the city's 30-year-old ban on private handgun ownership.

If the Supreme Court takes the case, it could lead to the high court's first direct ruling on the Second Amendment since 1939.

Mayor Adrian Fenty announced the appeal on the steps of police headquarters.

"The bottom line is we do not need more guns in this city," Fenty said.

A federal appeals court panel ruled in March that the district's broad gun law was unconstitutional.

The law bars residents from keeping handguns in their homes and prohibits the carrying of a gun without a license. Registered firearms such as rifles and shotguns must be kept unloaded and disassembled or fitted with trigger locks.

Fenty noted that the appeals court ruling deals specifically with the issue of guns in the home, saying it does not affect the ban on carrying handguns on the street.

The law remains in effect during the appeals process.

Note... The appeal has been filed as District of Columbia v. Heller

Fighting for Our Handgun Ban

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/03/AR2007090300797.html

Fighting for Our Handgun Ban

By Adrian M. Fenty and Linda Singer
Tuesday, September 4, 2007; A17

As mayor and attorney general of the District of Columbia, we were deeply disappointed this year when the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit declared that the District's longstanding handgun ban violates the Second Amendment. Today we are asking the U.S. Supreme Court to review the decision in that case, which we think threatens public safety and is wrong on the law.

The central meaning of the Second Amendment has long been settled in the courts. The last time the Supreme Court directly addressed the provision -- which reads, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" -- was in 1939, in a case called United States v. Miller. The court said that the Second Amendment's "obvious purpose" is to ensure the effectiveness and continuation of state military forces (the militia mentioned in the amendment), not to provide a private right to own weapons for one's own purposes.

For decades, the lower courts followed that pronouncement. They repeatedly rejected claims that the Second Amendment provides a defense against laws regulating gun possession and use that have no connection with service in a state militia. Although gun proponents vigorously insisted that the Second Amendment protects their right to possess and use guns for private purposes, the courts recognized that their view lacks support in its language and history.

On a related note, the courts also repeatedly recognized that the Second Amendment is meant to constrain the federal government alone. Another longstanding Supreme Court precedent, Presser v. Illinois, establishes that the Second Amendment simply does not apply to state regulation of gun possession and use. The District should have authority just like that of the states, if for no other reason than to avoid the absurd result that the nation's capital alone would lack the ability to take the steps the local government believes are needed to keep its residents safe.

Against this backdrop, the D.C. Council decided in 1976 to ban almost all private possession of handguns, while allowing residents to possess properly registered rifles and shotguns. The council's reasoning was as right then as it is now. Because handguns are involved in crimes, accidents and suicides far more often than other firearms, it makes perfect sense to ask that residents who want firearms at home choose something other than handguns. Although only a third of the nation's firearms are handguns, these easily concealable weapons are used in far more killings, woundings and crimes than all other types of firearms combined. The more handguns a jurisdiction has, the more people die in homicides. Although handguns might still be trafficked into the District illegally from other jurisdictions, the last thing the District needs is even more handguns.

The handgun ban has saved countless lives, but this fundamental part of the District's public safety laws will be no more if the Supreme Court does not review and overturn this year's decision by the D.C. Circuit. Departing from the consensus of the courts, the court (in a 2 to 1 vote) decided that the Second Amendment is not about state militias after all but about personal gun rights. We think that ruling is extraordinary and wrong. Indeed, it is the first time a federal appellate court has used such a view of the Second Amendment to strike down any gun-control law.

The next step in the court's analysis was also extraordinary and wrong. On the basis of Supreme Court precedent, even this court agreed that the Second Amendment, however one reads it, is not infringed on by "reasonable restrictions" on gun possession and use. The court ruled, though, that banning any "type" of weapon is never reasonable. The idea that the Constitution forbids a government to ban any type of weapon regardless of the reasons is unsupportable. It is plainly relevant that the District allows residents to possess other perfectly effective firearms, especially given how much more death and misery handguns have caused than those other firearms.

We hope the Supreme Court takes the case and upholds the District's law, though we know that the outcome of any Supreme Court case is uncertain. We do not doubt that the District residents who are plaintiffs in the case brought this suit in good faith. But the District's government must choose what is in the best interest of the District overall. The council long ago made its considered choice on how best to save lives here. We believe that choice was the right one and one the council had every right to make under the Constitution. So we will fight.

Adrian M. Fenty is mayor of the District of Columbia. Linda Singer is the District's attorney general.

Post article said:
The last time the Supreme Court directly addressed the provision -- which reads, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" -- was in 1939, in a case called United States v. Miller. The court said that the Second Amendment's "obvious purpose" is to ensure the effectiveness and continuation of state military forces (the militia mentioned in the amendment), not to provide a private right to own weapons for one's own purposes.

I'm not too familiar with Miller. But considering the pinko who had a death grip on the executive branch back then, along with an assumption that he stacked the court with like-minded pinkos, I guess it's not surprised that they got interpreted it as a collective right.

Good grief, what a steaming pile of
Bullshit.jpg

D.C. Hypocrisy Stunning in Announced Appeal of District Gun Ban, Says SAF

D.C. Hypocrisy Stunning in Announced Appeal of District Gun Ban, Says SAF

BELLEVUE, Wash., Sept. 5 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- When District of
Columbia Attorney General Linda Singer attempted to justify the District's
handgun ban as it announced its appeal of the Parker case to the Supreme
Court, she revealed the depth of hypocrisy that lies at the core of this
case, the Second Amendment Foundation said today.
"Whatever right the Second Amendment guarantees," Singer reportedly
said, "it does not require the District to stand by while its citizens
die."
That remark brought a quick reaction from SAF founder Alan Gottlieb.
"The District, and the people who are elected to run it, have been
standing by for years while citizens have been dying," Gottlieb said. "A
string of administrations dating back 30 years have callously allowed
residents of our nation's capital to die, to be assaulted, robbed and raped
because they have been legally disarmed and left defenseless by this
insidious gun ban."
He cited language in the District's petition to appeal of further
evidence of the outrageous insensitivity for the harm that this
unconstitutional ban has wrought. The petition notes -- as quoted by the
Washington Post -- that "No other provision of the Bill of Rights even
arguably requires a government to tolerate serious physical harm on
anything like the scale of the devastation worked by handguns."
"The District of Columbia has been tolerating murder and mayhem on a
horrendous scale for three decades," Gottlieb stated, "in the stubborn
defense of an insane ban that statistics show has been a public safety
disaster. Singer and Mayor Adrian Fenty can try to spin the history of this
travesty any way they want, but the fact remains that the continued defense
of this ban represents a flagrant disregard for the personal safety of
every law-abiding citizen in the city.
"How dare the city contend that this ban has improved public safety,"
he concluded. "It is now clear that the Fenty Administration is far less
interested in the safety of its citizens than it is in the defense of a
clearly failed, 30-year-old liberal anti-gun philosophy that epitomizes the
moral bankruptcy of gun control."
The Second Amendment Foundation (http://www.saf.org) is the nation's
oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal
action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately
own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more
than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to
better inform the public about the consequences of gun control.

SOURCE Second Amendment Foundation

"Whatever right the Second Amendment guarantees," Singer reportedly
said, "it does not require the District to stand by while its citizens
die."

What BS! This would be like me smoking 3 packs a day and then telling everybody that cigarettes cure cancer and emphysema.

If anybody pointed out my dismal bill of health I'd say:
"Well yeah, imagine how bad I'd be WITHOUT the ciggies!!!"

Menino blames Boston's gun crime on NH and Maine....so why don't they have crime too.

NH Blames Mass for thier recent influx of moonbat voters. Now that makes sence....

Fools!

I'm not too familiar with Miller. But considering the pinko who had a death grip on the executive branch back then, along with an assumption that he stacked the court with like-minded pinkos, I guess it's not surprised that they got interpreted it as a collective right.

Miller is probably one of the most mis-represented decisions in Supreme Court history. A careful reading and analysis of the case would show that it actually said very little for either side to really claim victory.

Here is one analysis, albeit a pro-gun analysis, but one you might enjoy reading.

http://www.jpfo.org/miller.htm

Last edited:
Miller is probably one of the most mis-represented decisions in Supreme Court history. A careful reading and analysis of the case would show that it actually said very little for either side to really claim victory.

+1.... IMO US v Miller was "a lot to do about nothing" as basically
SCOTUS wishy-washed their way out of saying something definitive
about the 2nd amendment- and them doing that was pretty much
by design.

-Mike

Supreme Court ruling about 2nd Amendment Possible Next Year

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070906/us_nm/usa_guns_court_dc

If the SCOTUS takes up the D.C. gun ban case, we may hear from them in June.

The Second Amendment says, "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

How hard is that to understand? "The People" does not just mean a militia.

This would be the most important ruling the Court has ever made regarding the Second Amendment.

In appealing to the Supreme Court, District of Columbia Attorney General Linda Singer said the March ruling marked the first time a federal appeals court has invoked the Second Amendment to strike down a gun-control law.

NO VIOLATION OF RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

"A law that bans handguns but permits private ownership of rifles and shotguns does not deprive anyone of the right to keep and bear arms, however that right is construed," she said.
Notice how she's rewording it from "shall not be infringed" to "does not deprive"? Classic newspeak.

There are days when I hate how prescient George Orwell was.

But US v. Miller didn't make it a Collective Right.

Simple fact is,, the Post article misquoted the decision of US v. Miller.

The militia has little to do with the states, to the dismay of the media nad liberals, such as those at the Post. They try to twist US v. Miller every way they can, but, the decision against Miller was upheld in the end, because the government lawyer blatantly lied, and said that a shotgun was NOT a military firearm. A trench gun is definitely a shotgun, as is a riot gun. The US Army uses shotguns to this day.

Truth be known, if Miller had been in possession of a BAR, the outcome would've been much different.

See, we don't have a "Right" to own sporting forearms. The Fudds are morons, because their precious "hunting rifles" aren't protected by the 2A, but military type rifles and pistols ARE protected by the 2A.

Yup, the AWB is as unconstitutional as it gets, like GCA '68. But, if thet ban owning target or hunting rifles, they could make it fly, and use US v. Miller for precedence.

And, I did take the time to read the decision myself. Not just what somebody said it was. And, yes, I read it quite some time ago. Miller didn't prove much, other than the SCOTUS doesn't want a controversial decision to get in the way of forced Socialism. Or should I say Ingsoc, Ross? (Just re-read 1984 this past week, good read still.)

Last edited:
But US v. Miller didn't make it a Collective Right.

Simple fact is,, the Post article misquoted the decision of US v. Miller.

The militia has little to do with the states, to the dismay of the media nad liberals, such as those at the Post. They try to twist US v. Miller every way they can, but, the decision against Miller was upheld in the end, because the government lawyer blatantly lied, and said that a shotgun was NOT a military firearm. A trench gun is definitely a shotgun, as is a riot gun. The US Army uses shotguns to this day.

Truth be known, if Miller had been in possession of a BAR, the outcome would've been much different.

See, we don't have a "Right" to own sporting forearms. The Fudds are morons, because their precious "hunting rifles" aren't protected by the 2A, but military type rifles and pistols ARE protected by the 2A.

Yup, the AWB is as unconstitutional as it gets, like GCA '68. But, if thet ban owning target or hunting rifles, they could make it fly, and use US v. Miller for precedence.

And, I did take the time to read the decision myself. Not just what somebody said it was. And, yes, I read it quite some time ago. Miller didn't prove much, other than the SCOTUS doesn't want a controversial decision to get in the way of forced Socialism. Or should I say Ingsoc, Ross? (Just re-read 1984 this past week, good read still.)

Nail Hit Square On Head!

From the Washington Times

http://washingtontimes.com/article/20070906/EDITORIAL/109060011/1013

Editorial

Article published Sep 6, 2007
Fenty wastes effort on guns

September 6, 2007

Yesterday, D.C. Mayor Adrian Fenty made good on his promise to appeal Parker v. the District of Columbia to the Supreme Court. The lawsuit contended that the District's gun laws — which virtually ban handguns, and require that long guns be stored, locked and unloaded — violate the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. An appeals court agreed, striking down the laws, though they remain in effect pending the Supreme Court's decision.

Assuming the court hears the case (the odds are very high), Mr. Fenty's main problem is his argument. It relies heavily on a misreading of the Supreme Court's last gun case, 1939's U.S. v. Miller. Mr. Fenty interprets Miller to mean that only state militia members have the right to bear arms. In Miller, the Supreme Court sided against a man who'd been convicted of possessing a sawed-off shotgun. The court did in fact note that the Second Amendment was written to protect militias. However, the court also observed that "the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense."

More importantly, the court's decision did not hinge on the fact that the man was not a militia member. Rather, the problem was that he failed to prove that a sawed-off shotgun was a militia-type weapon. So, Mr. Fenty's investment in this case is quite a gamble. David T. Hardy, an Arizona attorney who has written extensively about Second Amendment law from an individual-rights perspective, predicted Mr. Fenty would lose. He counted Justices John Roberts, Antonin Scalia, Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito in the pro-gun camp and said any of the five other judges could join them.

Looking at trends in the murder rate, the 1976 ban clearly had little effect. When the drug wars came a decade later, the law did little to halt the carnage. As mayor, Mr. Fenty needs to pick his battles. Between the high risk of losing and the low payoff of winning, this one isn't worth fighting.

Back
Top Bottom