DC police advocates taking out gunman in active shooter situation

Maybe she's learning but I don't think so since she is issuing carry permits at a dead snails pace.

http://pjmedia.com/instapundit/219508/

EVIDENCING A SURPRISING DEGREE OF SANITY AND REALISM: D.C. Chief Lanier encourages people to “take the gunman out” in active shooter situations.

In an upcoming segment of “60 Minutes,” Metropolitan Police Chief Police Chief Cathy Lanier says it’s unrealistic to think police will make it to an active shooter situation in time to save lives, so victims will have to prepare to “run, hide or fight.”

“If you’re in a position to try and take the gunman down, to take the gunman out, it’s the best option for saving lives before police can get there,” she tells Anderson Cooper for the segment, which will air Sunday at 7 p.m. on CBS.

Lanier said this is radically different from what police have often told people. But after a series of tragic domestic attacks – including the 2013 murders at the D.C. Navy Yard — it is clear that merely calling 911 and waiting for a response isn’t enough.

This is an argument, of course, for widespread gun-carrying, though I’m not 100% sure that Chief Lanier actually realizes that.

Permalink • 7:52 am by Glenn Reynolds •15 Comments

Perhaps another CLEO who realizes saving lives is more important than political loyalty.

Slowly, slowly...slowly. She probably realized that people like Sheriff Clark are right. You can't mess with the truth when its that obvious.

Odds are she'll meet with a tragic accident in the coming weeks and Obama will tell us what a hero she was (while not exactly acting surprised at her demise)

Last edited:
She never states on how to take an active shooter out, so it's difficult to know if she is even referring to an "armed" citizen.

She never states on how to take an active shooter out, so it's difficult to know if she is even referring to an "armed" citizen.

Good point, she may be advocating self-sacrifice by a few for the benefit of many others (the canon of the Liberals), which wouldn't necessarily require being armed. But presumably heros prefer to live, so would be armed.

Lanier is in lockstep with D.C.'s mayor.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...uriel-bowser-you-have-a-mayor-who-hates-guns/
But Bowser was not asked to make any pledges this time, and she won sustained applause from the crowd after more than 20 minutes of remarks that included lines like this one, responding to WIN’s new focus on gun violence:

“You have a mayor who hates guns,” she said. “If it was up to me, we wouldn’t have any handguns in the District of Columbia. I swear to protect the Constitution and what the courts say, but I will do it in the most restrictive way as possible.”

The NYC police commissioner (Bratton?) was just asked on Meet the Press if what he thought about her position. Surprisingly, he agreed with her, but walked it back a bit with some mealy mouthed shit about being outgunned with a pistol.

The NYC police commissioner (Bratton?) was just asked on Meet the Press if what he thought about her position. Surprisingly, he agreed with her, but walked it back a bit with some mealy mouthed shit about being outgunned with a pistol.

From there I think he babbled on about how many guns are out there, and that was an issue as well. It was good that the issue of response time and protecting yourself was brought up though.

Take them out.... Using micro-aggressive harsh language. That will "trigger" that bad person so much that they imediately stop what they are doing and will retreat to a "safe space?

Back
Top Bottom