• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

DC Grabs Soldiers Guns

The whole thing is absurd as usual, of course. No reason anyone should have to fear moving a few guns around. I suppose he got lucky and it wasn't in Jersey, he'd probably be even more trouble there... talk about moving from one minefield to another. [sad2]

-Mike

Poor Lt Kim, he thought that the police were his friends, and that he had nothing to fear or hide. He was an easy mark, so the coppers did it because they could and for no other reason. Easy arrest, good statistic to add to the crime report.

NO WAY! Someone gets arrested in DC with a firearm. My question is if you were traveling through DC, would a stop for fuel etc. constitute a need for registration? I don't see how the Dr's apointment at Walter Reed that apparently wasn't a overnight stay, is reason to be arrested for registration and "carrying outside the home" violation.

Military or not, this goes to show that firearm laws in DC are INSANE. Especially if you actually go there and see the police presence there. There are more cruisers with different shields on it than there would be at a national police convention. Add to that the regular helicopter patrols and sniper nests on top of buildings. What the police's eyes will miss, the half a million surveillance cameras will catch.

Banning firearms from towns/cities isn't a new phenomenon it's been going on since before the civil war, after all that's what the Showdown at The O.K. Corral was about.

I am so fed up with the FED that I can't even post the things I would like to say for fear of coming home and haveing them waiting to talk to me

Don't ever trust a D.C. Cop! When I was stationed there in the early 90's I went bar hoping with a few friends in Georgetown. A skinny hispanic guy we were with headed over to another bar ahead of us we couldn't find him for the rest of the night. Come to find out while he cut down a alley shortcut some D.C. Cops stopped and beat him. They broke two of his ribs and bruised his jaw. After taking him in and finding his military ID in his wallet they released him without any charges. They beat the poor kid because they thought he was just a immigrant or illegal alien. He went to base legal to take action and they told him to forget the whole thing because they didn't want to start make accusations agianst the PD.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just saw the article....... Do the cops think they are some kind of heroes for effing up some soldiers life? I never served but would like to think people that have served or are still in the military should get some sort of respect from people, including LE. It makes me furious to see what actually goes on.

insane.

it's not just troops, ask the lady who tried to check her gun in NYC. [rolleyes]

when you live in a free state, surrounded by free states, you simply don't grasp how crazy some of these laws are.

the military instills values for showing "respect" and acting a certain way. i'd bet that the LT was thinking he'd be okay if he was honest and NOT object to any unlawful search. [thinking]

funny story d

we were doing funeral details when i walked into a police department with my SGT to inform the desk SGT that we had six M4 rifles and blank ammunition for a funeral detail in the morning.

the police officer's mouth dropped. he started asking questions about who we were and how we got these rifles. this was in 1999. [laugh]

within what appeared to be nano-seconds, there were three local cruisers and two state police cruisers at the station, asking all kinds of questions.

luckily, one of the police LT's was a coastie reservist and he explained what we were doing. after that, he even let us borrow a couple 20 round mags because we were short three (forgot them in the arms room).

i told my SGT at the time that they were gonna shoot us. [laugh] he didn't believe me. i said "a red neck and a black dude walk into a PD to say "hi, we have rifles and will be in your area, just FYI" [rofl] [rofl]

this was in western MA btw... [tinfoil]

another funny one was when we grabbed the rilfles out of the Van in Maine. an older woman asked us if we were military, she was old school, "woman's army corps" and said we stuck out like a sore thumb. told us where to get a beer and a burger... [smile] no "check in" with local LE, we just kept the rifles in our hotel rooms.

in MA, we would try to store them with the local PD overnight to meet storage requirements aka nightmare.

Thanks for your service, and especially for the time you have spent away from your loved ones in dangerous conditions on our behalf. We really appreciate it. But our misinterpretation of the Constitution, which is endorsed by our leaders, leaves us no choice but to arrest you and confiscate any weapons you might have been trying to legitimately transport, regardless of whether you were attempting to comply with our incomprehensibly stupid laws, and regardless of whether we consider those weapons to be less evil than the ones we issue to you to so that you can go to war for us. Welcome to the nation's capital sir, and have a great day!

Thanks for your service, and especially for the time you have spent away from your loved ones in dangerous conditions on our behalf. We really appreciate it. But our misinterpretation of the Constitution, which is endorsed by our leaders, leaves us no choice but to arrest you and confiscate any weapons you might have been trying to legitimately transport, regardless of whether you were attempting to comply with our incomprehensibly stupid laws, and regardless of whether we consider those weapons to be less evil than the ones we issue to you to so that you can go to war for us. Welcome to the nation's capital sir, and have a great day!

yes.

while i'd like to say that *most* of my encounters with LE have pleasant, which they have... the GWOT has presented a new enemy to them. they tend to look at us a crazy finatics with an agenda and a short fuze. they act accordingly. [thinking]

if you are lucky, you will have a police officer or two with a pair of balls to diffuse the situation, who may or may not be a veteran and has a level head.

in my opinion, the bigger police departments do NOT have that capacity and act upon unsaid and unwritten orders to "let the courts sort it out" mentality...

so yeah, +1

in my opinion, the bigger police departments do NOT have that capacity and act upon unsaid and unwritten orders to "let the courts sort it out" mentality...

I expect that virtually every department has some policies as to what constitutes "non-discretionary arrest" situations, and I would be surprised if DC did not have such a policy in place regarding gun law violations.

As to FOPA86 - it says "Continuous and uninterrupted". How is a trip "continuous" or "uninterrupted" if you stop off an engage in business other than perhaps something necessitated by laws of physics or nature (fueling, draining one's cistern, etc.)?

What once were iron men with wooden sticks, have become wooden men with iron sticks.

Mr. Twigg, is this a quote or an original of yours?
Well said either way...
~Matt

Hey! The cops did their job,and did it well

The perp had a demonstrated propensity for violence (he voluntarily joined a military organizaton, after all)....he had in his posession firearms....who knows what he was up to?

I feel safer....

[rolleyes]

Oh, and as for the cops not returning the stuff....I'm sure that it's just an oversight, and that it will be fixed, with an apology soonest.

*yawn*

are the cops/DA/courts et al douchebags?
absolutely....

is this guy an idiot for:
1) consenting to be searched
2) stopping instead of passing through

absolutely....
just another idiot LT who didn't have an experienced NCO to make him look good....

if the cops have to ASK, it means they don't have cause.....
if the law says continuous and uninterrupted.... don't stop....

I expect that virtually every department has some policies as to what constitutes "non-discretionary arrest" situations, and I would be surprised if DC did not have such a policy in place regarding gun law violations.

As to FOPA86 - it says "Continuous and uninterrupted". How is a trip "continuous" or "uninterrupted" if you stop off an engage in business other than perhaps something necessitated by laws of physics or nature (fueling, draining one's cistern, etc.)?

continuous and uninterupted isnt in the text of the law:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-2010-title18/html/USCODE-2010-title18-partI-chap44-sec926A.htm

§926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Continuous and Uninterupted has been quoted in several appeals court decisions. Third Circuit Court (NJ, MD, VA) decided in such a decision that a during an overnight hotel stay, a firearm in a locked case in the trunk of an unoccupied vehicle was no longer "not readily accessible" and thus, during a hotel stop in their juristiction, Title 18 Chapter 44 Section 926A no longer applied.

All very unfortunate. Where is Change.org with a petition to pressure DCPD to return his stolen property?

Back
Top Bottom