Day off and Four Seasons is closed.

I can sympathize with you. I have had Mondays off for the last 20 years and get frustrated with the stores that are closed on Mondays. I'm not near you so the gun shops I get to on Mondays won't help you. I have the same problem with music stores and Harley shops. I needed a new tire on my bike one Monday after a cord let go on a Sunday afternoon. Only one of 3 Harley shops was open. Seems kinda dumb with so many people vacationing in NH to be closed and miss all those weekend breakdowns. Merideth HD, now Laconia HD, not only sold a tire, I had them replace front and rear brake pads. Good Luck.

So I have the day off and was thinking about picking up a new Ruger SR9c or an S&W M&P9 but it turns out the local gun store is closed on Monday's. Anyone have any suggestions for a store that would have one in stock and is open? I am pretty near Four Seasons and don't want to travel half way across the state.

To fill in the gaps on my prior post wrt BassPro gun prices. I'll let the readers decide if these are close to the prices that FS and others charge for the same handguns.

The following prices were on display today (rounded to nearest $1), 1/3/2011 at BassPro:

Walther P22 - 5" - $550.00
Walther P22 - 5" - (two-tone) - $500.00
S&W 642 w/Hogue grip - $530.00
Walther PPS - $700.00
Ruger SR9 - $500.00
S&W 500 4" - $1260.00
S&W 500 8" - $1300.00
S&W M&Ps (9 or 40) - $600.00

Also I don't know what was going on but some poor guy was trying to buy a gun and all his paperwork was covering the one S&W 1911 that was in the case . . . I think it was marked $900.00.

Back to the poor guy attempting to purchase a gun . . . he had his MA LTC, an ID and a folder full of papers he was showing the clerk (who seemed unsure if he could make the sale and took some papers to go check with someone). He had his car registration, bills from utilities, car insurance from USAA (which makes me think he might be MIL based in MA) and G_d only knows what other papers.

It's probably because the owner wants to have a weekend day off, combined with the special treatment given the state recognized sabbath.

MA requires employers wih 7 or more employees to pay any hourly staff time and a half for Sunday work, even if it does not put the employee into "overtime" in excess of 40 hours per week. So much for separation of church and state.

Ok, so it's what I said, plus a huge dollop of MA based gayness on top, which makes it even more appetizing for the shops to close on Sunday. [laugh]

-Mike

To fill in the gaps on my prior post wrt BassPro gun prices. I'll let the readers decide if these are close to the prices that FS and others charge for the same handguns.

The following prices were on display today (rounded to nearest $1), 1/3/2011 at BassPro:

Walther P22 - 5" - $550.00
Walther P22 - 5" - (two-tone) - $500.00
S&W 642 w/Hogue grip - $530.00
Walther PPS - $700.00
Ruger SR9 - $500.00
S&W 500 4" - $1260.00
S&W 500 8" - $1300.00
S&W M&Ps (9 or 40) - $600.00

Also I don't know what was going on but some poor guy was trying to buy a gun and all his paperwork was covering the one S&W 1911 that was in the case . . . I think it was marked $900.00.

Holy crap Len..... Even "Route 9" and a certain "Rodent family" dealer we know is probably far, far cheaper than that for any of those. [rofl]

-Mike

Holy crap Len..... Even "Route 9" and a certain "Rodent family" dealer we know is probably far, far cheaper than that for any of those. [rofl]

-Mike

I know and when said rat made his proud announcement of what he had done, I admonished him with "why did you bother? Their prices are ridiculous and BP won't hurt you!"

Seriously, I just shake my head when I see someone buying a handgun there.

Holy crap Len..... Even "Route 9" and a certain "Rodent family" dealer we know is probably far, far cheaper than that for any of those.
Keep in mind Bass Pro/Forboro has specifically excluded guns from price matching because they were seeing two many price fliers and internet printouts from small independents.

I was off yesterday and looking for a shop, took the hour drive out to tombstones, very nice guys, great shop.
I enedd up picking up a S&W 4506, great .45

I went to the KTP and Cabelas yesterday...it was like I was the only one in both stores...I actually got to peruse the gun cases at leisure, and the half dozen guys behind the counters were more than willing to chat. I guess I know the best time to go there now when I need information on stuff...Mondays that are regular work days for most folks are great days to go.
I had to work New Years Eve which was supposed to be a holiday for me so my boss gave me Monday off.

Bass Pro won't sell any rifle that doesn't go along with their hunting motiff. I was at the Mouse Trap over the weekend and they had a S&W Bodyguard 380 for $369.

The only way I'm getting to FS is if I'm able to play hooky from work on a weekday at some off-hours time. I must be severely claustrophobic because I almost had a panic attack the last Saturday I was in there. Sardine is definitely a great way to describe it. Great shop, great service, great prices but damn I wish they had a larger store!

I also give them credit for staying open later hours certain days so folks can stop in after work.

It's because of 40 hour work weeks. To cover Sundays and Mondays it means you need to hire more staff or pay the existing staff overtime. It makes more sense for most of them to close Sunday and Monday instead. The staff needs time off, too. It's hard to justify keeping a gun shop open 7 days unless you can justify it somehow. If you don't have extra management then that means some manager or the owner has to work that extra 16 hours, too. Iif you have to pay people overtime that destroys your bottom line. (A gun shop isn't exactly a high margin business, either. ) It's not like a car dealer where there is a ton of fluff in every sale.

Then again, a lot of places could justify it... like FS could probably still get sales on Sundays, but I'd bet Carl doesn't want to go through the BS of hiring even more people to cover that extra time.

-Mike

I understand the part about not wanting to pay to keep the shop open 7 days a week from 9-6, but why not open at noon on weekdays? Or close on Monday and Tuesday? The few months I was unemployed over last summer, I would go into FS during the week, and it was VERY rare for there to be any other customers in there besides me.

EDIT: I missed Rob's comment about having to pay employee's 1.5x for working on Sundays. That really sucks for the employer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom