Davidsons Puts The "Gun Genie" Back In The Bottle

They should close permanently. They are the worst distributor. They charge shipping always. $15 shipping on all orders large or small. While they charge the same as other distributors for commodity items, they generally charge about 6% more on most everything else. They are a distributor of last choice.

I think I ordered something from them, once, after Sandy Hook. NOT happy that their site failed to mention that the Bushmaster Gov't model (which had everything else I wanted) had a CA bullet button. I only found out when I inserted and then tried to drop a magazine. Spent another couple of weeks (Post Sandy Hook, so wasn't about to pay to exchange it) getting parts from Bushmaster (and paying for them and shipping) to fix it.

I would look at them occasionally to compare "available" prices before buying locally or elsewhere.

They should close permanently. They are the worst distributor. They charge shipping always. $15 shipping on all orders large or small. While they charge the same as other distributors for commodity items, they generally charge about 6% more on most everything else. They are a distributor of last choice.
"They charge"...

The dealers set the price. It might be based on a percentage, but they're all different.

Support your local gunstore. Places like PSA, Classic Firearms and others do to the LGS what Wallyworld did to the mom and pop stores. Once they're gone, they're gone. Buy local.
Right. LGS 1: You don't want a Glock. They're junk. We won't carry them! LGS 2: You don't want a S&W. I've carried a Glock for years. You don't need something (S&W) with a safety on it.
LGS 3: No plastic junk here. Look at my stock. It's all older, quality metal guns. LGS 4: We don't carry that model. Nobody wants it. LGS 5: What do you want that twist rate for? Everybody wants (insert what they think). What are you going to shoot in it? 1:x is fine for most everything.

I'll shop where they have what I want. Most of the LGS's I've visited never carry the model that I'm looking for. Safety/no safety. Different twist rate, etc. If local won't do it, then online it is. Not to mention having to call all 30 of them, or drive to each and everyone only to find out they don't have what I want. YMMV.

Right. LGS 1: You don't want a Glock. They're junk. We won't carry them! LGS 2: You don't want a S&W. I've carried a Glock for years. You don't need something (S&W) with a safety on it.
LGS 3: No plastic junk here. Look at my stock. It's all older, quality metal guns. LGS 4: We don't carry that model. Nobody wants it. LGS 5: What do you want that twist rate for? Everybody wants (insert what they think). What are you going to shoot in it? 1:x is fine for most everything.

I'll shop where they have what I want. Most of the LGS's I've visited never carry the model that I'm looking for. Safety/no safety. Different twist rate, etc. If local won't do it, then online it is. Not to mention having to call all 30 of them, or drive to each and everyone only to find out they don't have what I want. YMMV.

Stop using dealers that suck, there are plenty of them that don't. The good dealers also don't give you shit if you want to
transfer in something from gunbroker, too, which will widen your options. There's no reason to use douche sites like davidsons, puds, or grabagun.... those are all designed to attract idiot skinflints that don't care about service, based on drop-shipper
scheming. (they're often selling stuff they don't even have in physical inventory!) Most of the time some rando GB dealer is going to be easier to work with than any of those morons.

-Mike

Stop using dealers that suck, there are plenty of them that don't. The good dealers also don't give you shit if you want to
transfer in something from gunbroker, too, which will widen your options. There's no reason to use douche sites like davidsons, puds, or grabagun.... those are all designed to attract idiot skinflints that don't care about service, based on drop-shipper
scheming. (they're often selling stuff they don't even have in physical inventory!) Most of the time some rando GB dealer is going to be easier to work with than any of those morons.

-Mike
Except that Bud's tends to be out of stock, I've had way better luck with Bud's and Grab-a-gun. I stopped calling/driving to 30 different places all over the state to get what I wanted. I use GB or the other two (no more Davidson's) and, when I lived in the western part of NH, one local dealer. He emailed me his FFL to submit, and just had everything sent there. It's the local guys that are all so opinionated that anything that they don't have is something that they don't think you need.

There's no reason to use douche sites like davidsons, puds, or grabagun.... those are all designed to attract idiot skinflints that don't care about service, based on drop-shipper
scheming. (they're often selling stuff they don't even have in physical inventory!)

I've never used Buds or Grabagun, but I have ordered from Davidsons several times and never had a problem.
I don't believe they're using a drop-ship scheme because their website shows you exactly what's in stock and how many of that item is left. If they don't have, it'll show as out-of-stock and you can sign up to get an email alert when they do get it back in.
I've used them to find variants of a particular gun that aren't normally carried by the LGS, such as a different barrel length, caliber or finish. They also give you a list of local gun shops (with FFL's on file) based on your zipcode, and you choose which one to take delivery from. The final price is also determined by the LGS you choose, because some take a bigger cut than others. So you can decide if it's worth it to you to save a few more bucks by going to one LGS as opposed to another.

I’m with Zappa. I bought my les Baer via davidson to a LGS. No LGS is going to keep a stock of $2k guns.
I went to the LGS. They said the margin they get is puny based on the cost from Davidson is higher than most I gave him a chance to get from a different distributor
To get it from. I told him I’d pay the same price regardless what he paid. If he could make more good for him.

It turned out there was no other distributor to get one that he worked with. The LGS still got my sale via Davidson’s

The experience was fine

Support your local gunstore. Places like PSA, Classic Firearms and others do to the LGS what Wallyworld did to the mom and pop stores. Once they're gone, they're gone. Buy local.

Palmetto State Armory IS a local gunshop for me. It's on my list of goto places after Ortiz's, Pinault's, CRC and Thunderbolt Guns. It's right down the street from the dealership that I take my F150 to for service.

Palmetto State Armory IS a local gunshop for me. It's on my list of goto places after Ortiz's, Pinault's, CRC and Thunderbolt Guns. It's right down the street from the dealership that I take my F150 to for service.

I deal with PSA too, I get their daily email specials, I glance it over quick and usually just hit delete, but sometimes they have a deal that's too good to pass up, so I jump on it. My friendly local FFL is on file with them, so it's really easy to make a purchase.
Does PSA manufacturer their own lowers on premise there in SC ???

I've never used Buds or Grabagun, but I have ordered from Davidsons several times and never had a problem.
I don't believe they're using a drop-ship scheme because their website shows you exactly what's in stock and how many of that item is left. If they don't have, it'll show as out-of-stock and you can sign up to get an email alert when they do get it back in.
I've used them to find variants of a particular gun that aren't normally carried by the LGS, such as a different barrel length, caliber or finish. They also give you a list of local gun shops (with FFL's on file) based on your zipcode, and you choose which one to take delivery from. The final price is also determined by the LGS you choose, because some take a bigger cut than others. So you can decide if it's worth it to you to save a few more bucks by going to one LGS as opposed to another.

Maybe they are full distribution themselves but it's pretty obvious why they removed that feature- dealers are fighting over
product. So they turned this thing off because they don't want to set up a situation where a dealer can avoid the cosby factor on some
desireable product etc. Things get f***ey when the market gets tight.

-Mike

Have you walked into a local gun store lately?? I did last week and immediately said ‘where the f*** did all your guns go?!!’ They’ve been busy!! Ammo prices are up everywhere (glad I’m well stocked!). The two places I’ve been to recently that I frequent and they atleast know me by sight of not by name have to have less than 50% of the stock they usually carry!!!! Handguns are usually galore! Gotta be less than 75% of what they usually have in the cases. Amazing! I’m glad they’re making money but I’m temporarily halting my casual shopping.....I’m not in the gun a month club (anymore) but there are many cool guns that I like and don’t own, yet, and I like to browse and find good deals when they’re around. I’ve bought ‘used’ guns that were basically brand new!

They do, however, have some nice custom runs of exclusives. Wish they'd do another run of the LCP II in Muddy Girl; those sell very well.

"They charge"...

The dealers set the price. It might be based on a percentage, but they're all different.

No, Davidson's IS higher than other distributors. Which is why I look at them last.

I deal with PSA too, I get their daily email specials, I glance it over quick and usually just hit delete, but sometimes they have a deal that's too good to pass up, so I jump on it. My friendly local FFL is on file with them, so it's really easy to make a purchase.
Does PSA manufacturer their own lowers on premise there in SC ???

They've got six locations in SC. I don't know which one(s) they manufacture in. My Ford dealership is in Hardeeville, SC and so is one of their sites. That particular site also has an indoor range, although I've never shot on it.

Have you walked into a local gun store lately??

Actually no, I haven't.
I admit I'm a skinflint (as Dr Grant likes to say), I shop for deals online and only jump on the ones too good to pass on.
The last time I bought anything gun related in a real brick & mortar store, was over three years ago, when I bought a side-folder AK from 619DW. PSA had them $50 cheaper online, but by the time I pay shipping & transfer, it would have worked out the same.

om Davidson is higher than most I gave him a chance to get from a different distributor
To get it from. I told him I’d pay the same price regardless what he paid. If he could make more good for him.
Davidsons combines the worst of a retail buy and buy+transfer sale. You pay for mechandise you can't see in advance with no change of backing out, but you don't get the benefit of the low price because their model inserts a protected middleman who adds no value but generally charges a retail, rather than transfer fee, on the transaction.

Davidsons Puts The "Gun Genie" Back In The Bottle

1586807083981.png

Actually no, I haven't.
I admit I'm a skinflint (as Dr Grant likes to say), I shop for deals online and only jump on the ones too good to pass on.
The last time I bought anything gun related in a real brick & mortar store, was over three years ago, when I bought a side-folder AK from 619DW. PSA had them $50 cheaper online, but by the time I pay shipping & transfer, it would have worked out the same.
Just go walk into one.

During normal times, at the right store, deals can be had, especially if they see you there a lot, haha.

Just go walk into one.

During normal times, at the right store, deals can be had, especially if they see you there a lot, haha.
I haven't seen a deal at an LGS in over 20 years. Same with gun shows. Everyone every where wants top dollar, even for junk. Brady for handguns really killed those prices - used S&W revolvers for $125-150 all day long. Brady for everything just made rifles and shotguns as bad, plus the import bans of Chinese and Russian surplus.

I haven't seen a deal at an LGS in over 20 years. Same with gun shows. Everyone every where wants top dollar, even for junk. Brady for handguns really killed those prices - used S&W revolvers for $125-150 all day long. Brady for everything just made rifles and shotguns as bad, plus the import bans of Chinese and Russian surplus.

This^

You apparently don’t make the rounds enough. There are some that are just always high, but many have high prices that are negotiable. I got a mint used 92FS, when I bought it it was debateable as to whether or not it had ever been fired or even cleaned, and it was a late 80s early 90s build with some factory grease on rails, 400 bux! I think the tag said 525-550. Inregretably sold it two weeks later for 550 after putting 300+ rounds down the pipe. I now regret that sale :(.

Search, deals are out there.

*edit* or, were out there. After the panic buying dies down and things go back to normal there will be a lot of good shit to scoop up!

maybe it is not clear how davidsons works. they are first and foremost a gun distributor. they sell the same stuff other distributors sell plus a few distributor unique SKUs (most big distributors have unique SKUs and/or are part of TALO).

They also have a "retail" website in the gallery of guns. This site allows any dealer that buys from davidsons to setup retail pricing on guns. A consumer goes to GoG and buys "from" a local gun shop. Davidsons then ships the gun to the local gun shop who sells it to the person who ordered it. Yes, the LGS sets the price.

The issue is that Davidsons backend pricing SUCKS. Other than glocks and P320s you can expect them to charge up to 6% more than any other distributor. They also have no free shipping. Most distributors give free shipping at $500 in purchases. Davidsons always charges $15.00.

Because their pricing is higher and they charge shipping, no one buys from them if they have any other choice. As a result, they will be the last distributor in the country to have certain guns still in stock. That is the only time I will ever use them and I pass the cost on to my customers (and tell them why).

GoG is a trap. I don't enable it because it is a sure fire way for my customer to either over pay or me to make no money. If I set the price to an acceptable margin (including shipping), no rational customer will buy. If I set to a reasonable price, I will make no money. So Davidsons can just go away.

If you buy from GoG you are either a) paying too much or b) your dealer is making no money. (a) happens when they are the only distributor left with something in stock because of their high price.

You apparently don’t make the rounds enough. There are some that are just always high, but many have high prices that are negotiable. I got a mint used 92FS, when I bought it it was debateable as to whether or not it had ever been fired or even cleaned, and it was a late 80s early 90s build with some factory grease on rails, 400 bux! I think the tag said 525-550. Inregretably sold it two weeks later for 550 after putting 300+ rounds down the pipe. I now regret that sale :(.

Search, deals are out there.

*edit* or, were out there. After the panic buying dies down and things go back to normal there will be a lot of good shit to scoop up!
Unfortunately things have changed. I used to go driving around shops (when there were some , now there's not many) once and a while you run across a deal. With the internet, its unfortunate for dealers, but fortunate for buyers that its all at your fingertips, without wasting gas, time, haggling, etc. Of course I still shop around a bit, but now its for older firearms that aren't in production type things, bigger shops have a better supply and likely hood of finding something most of the time. Usually they want a lot of money for stuff like that.....so its usually hit or miss. New production stuff, I go on Wiki Guns put in the sku and find a place and order. I've never had a gun come in bad online. I've had some real nice surprises when I opened the box a few times.

Davidsons combines the worst of a retail buy and buy+transfer sale. You pay for mechandise you can't see in advance with no change of backing out, but you don't get the benefit of the low price because their model inserts a protected middleman who adds no value but generally charges a retail, rather than transfer fee, on the transaction.

I am not a big fan but it worked for me and it didnt follow your issues.

I spent time on the 1911 forum. I found out the price. I did as well or better as "crazy john" who is supposed to be the best out there to buy a les Baer.
1. I knew i wanted a les baer , i wasn't going to back it out
2. There were none local, this was my only choice.
3. I gave the LGS a chance to find it cheaper anywhere else - just keep my price the same. the lower his price the more he will make. and they couldn't find a better option

Those 3 elements made it the best of a retail sale for this purchase... so i dont follow your comments. I stated davidson was the highest cost to the LGS but not the highest price to me (or meant to)

Maybe it's a NH thing, but I have found the lowest price on the davidson quote better than any LGS. and use them as a cost estimate when I go to the LGS.
they never have it priced at the gun genie price but sometimes they will negotiate down to it.

I haven't seen a deal at an LGS in over 20 years...

What do you own right now? Seriously you have been crying poor house for quite some time. Well before all this pandemic crap came about. So please tell me you got at least one piece since you moved the wife back up. She is depending on you...

Gallery of guns is an extension of the firearms distributor Davidson's.

When I used to run a small time FFL out of my home, when I lived in CT, I used Davidson's in certain specific circumstances.

They were typically 3% to 5% higher than my other distributors Jerry's and Lipsey's. But they offered a lifetime warranty on any item that came through them.

On certain items that was of zero value. Like a Glock or Ruger. Solid guns made by companies with great customer support.

At the time I was doing a good business buying FN SCARs, doing CT AWB compliance work and reselling them. The SCAR was an unknown entity, made by a company that was known for TERRIBLE customer service. So I advised people to spend the extra $75 on the SCAR from Davidsons vs one of the other distributors.

I advised my clients to do the same with the other "hot" gun of the era, the Tavor.

So Davidson's has its place. But for most guns, supported by solid companies like S&W or even HiPoint. Its not worth the extra cost.

Back
Top Bottom