davidson defense/ Omega Manufacturing 300blk upper kit review.

mac1911

NES Member
Changing this thread from input to review.
I was just looking for a 300 black out upper to play with
I shoot a lot of reduced cast loads and found this to be another decent addition.
So now it's review time.
It looks like Davidson Defense and Omega Manufacturing are either one in the same or are close in relationship. They are at minimum from the same town in Utah.

That said I ordered the 300 16" kit on the 22nd and was actually delivered Saturday to my work. So I didn't get it until today. It started of on the wrong foot.
The box was delivered with a hole large enough for me to remove what was left inside. Amazingly only on part was missing the upper receiver. A call to Omega and replacement has been sent. So it appears they need to work on their packing skills
5m7ScAd.jpg

. The barrel flopping around most likely was the cause of the hole. How the barrel did not fall out or get damaged is beyond me. The barrel was basically loose inside the box. Inspection of the parts not lost look good.

Here is the description.. The upper kit cost me 229$ shipped
DAVIDSON DEFENSE 7075 T6 BILLET UPPER RECIEVER (MADE FROM ONE SOLID BLOCK OF MILSPEC GRADE ALUMINUM 10X STRONGER THAN FORGED UPPERS)

PHOSPHATE MATTE BLACK 16" 300 BLACKOUT 1-8 TWIST PISTOL GAS SYSTEM 2X LAPPED MATCH GRADE BARREL

15'' 6061 T6 KEYMOD HANDGUARD. 7075 T6 ALUMINUM BARREL NUT FOR EXTRA STRENGTH & FINISHED IN THE USA

EXTENDED SOG CHARGING HANDLE ( A $39.99 VALUE)

4150 STEEL GAS BLOCK MADE IN THE USA

STAINLESS STEEL PREMIUM USA MADE GAS TUBE

DAVIDSON DEFENSE MIL-SPEC A3 MUZZLE BREAK/FLASHHIDER 5/8X24 ( MADE IN THE USA)

DAVIDSON DEFENSE MILSPEC FORWARD ASSIST & EZ INSTALL PIN FOR FASTER INSTALL (MADE IN THE USA)

DAVIDSON DEFENSE PORT DOOR DUST COVER KIT ( MADE IN THE USA

I also ordered Davidson Defense black nitrate M16 BCG. 70$ shipped
I will add pictures as I go ....it's going to be a in between projects project.

Continued on post #8

Last edited:
Check these out... Barreled uppers

currently out of stock for what I am looking for and the price point. It does not have to be anything special.... cheap and functional is good enough.

I found one on sale for 229$ plus a a M16 melonite BCG for 70$ free shipping cant go wrong. . Attempted delivery Sat at my work so I will have my hands on it Monday. I don't have any ammo, dies, brass yet so it will be a bit before I have it up and tested.

Last edited:
Davidson Defense Barrel inspection

First up: Barrel 16" 1/8 twist Overall looks good nice finish typical grey phosphate finish barrel is described as a match barrel 2x lapped Here is a video of the bore right out of the box. Its a cheap 14$ bore scope but shows ok.
I will take another look after I clean the barrel. I used a 22cal patch to push down in front of the bore scope. I find this to be the best method for good lighting. I have no focus control with this scope.

I wont say anything bad I had 2 barrels I paid as much for this kit look worse.

I put 2 dry patches through it..... from my dads words "new guns are far from clean" I have yet to get a clean patch out of any new barrel. This is about average and I have had worse. I took a quick video of the patches...

I cant tell if the "lines" on the lands are actual machine marks or shadows and reflections? They don't appear to be in the first video?

Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE: The missing upper receiver arrived today as promised....
Assembly can start tonight

Now there is a third player as the receiver came from Delta Team Tactical

Last edited:
so things not going so well.
1. their so called easy install pin for the forward assist... POS pin thank god I had another. Burrs on both ends.
2. Barrel nut.... I have 3 different wrenches and nothing fits... oh joy
3. billet upper receiver ...........doesn't fit my vise block.....[rolleyes]
The Good
Receiver is pretty darn nice looking and its nice and snug as is the barrel to receiver fit....

- - - Updated - - -

The hand guard..... not thrilled but for the price about what I expected... probably sell it down the line and just put a plain round hand guard on.
Mounting system is a tad cheap/weak looking to me ? They could have tumbled the hand guard assembly some more before finishing it. has some sharp edges.

The bolt looks ok MPI bolt nice finish It did come with a nice film of anti corrosion film on it. For those that might not know they ship all these steel parts with some sort of corrosion inhibitors on them. They may look like oil but they are not. The oily stuff on this bolt actually when you wipe it off it feels very dry on your skin.
YiOFucYl.jpg

Make sure you clean all the parts well and put real oil on there or a good CLP.

Last edited:
SAUMGPvl.jpg

By far the best looking and feeling piece is the BCG. The hand guard is what I would expect of a 60-80$ unit. plus is this one is straight and it mounted true and with out much hassle. I wish they would put a note that you need a special barrel nut wrench none of mine would fit...I fabricated something to work though
The gas block looked to be old surplus. poor finish a bit rough but fit snug.
Upper receiver is billet and looks to be down right.... its a tad to snug on one lower and I cant get the front pin in but that's fine it fit this lower really good.

barrel looks good. I really don't know how well it will do but it fit and went on with out issues. although with the problems I ran into I want to headspace this before I shoot it.
The pins that came with it for the forward assist and the gas tube TOSS THEM both. I had replacements on hand

Now need to decide go with the Faux bird cage muzzle brake or just a thread protector... I'm thinking you really don't need a brake for 300aac especially since I will most likely end up shooting cast loads?

over all for 309$ shipped it appears to be ok.....just need some ammo now.
For optics for now Im just going to mount my trusty Luey 2.5x8x32 VXIII on a mk2 mount. like this set up.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. Hand guard looks fine- it it stays solid I'd just go with it. I vote for a faux bird cage. I put a thread protector on my Modern Military upper because of the stupid flash hider law and CMP rules forbid a comp. I know for local matches it really doesn't matter but when I go back to the NE Games or perhaps Perry or Talladega I will need to be sure everything is by the book. It's really fugly...

I have shot a friend's 300BLK and really enjoyed the round. I think I have a handful of once fired Winchester brass that I can give to you at the next Pembroke match. Right now I need another caliber like a hole in the head, but I already have lots of .308 projectiles so it's tempting. If I ever bother to do a SBR it will be in this caliber.

Seems like most of these companies are really 'integrators' and not particularly manufacturers, at least not for all parts. I think we all have seen the high degree of private labeling within the industry. One can build something with the same inherent quality as BCM, LMT, etc. for almost half the price. Now that panic has settled I would bet money that there will be a little more consolidation of suppliers / manufacturers.

Looking forward to a range report.

I have shot a friend's 300BLK and really enjoyed the round.

I read up on the round and I liked what I saw. Ended up buying a complete WW upper just because I had a WW lower to mate it with and I have to say that I really enjoy the round but it's not something I'd go and dump 500 rounds downrange with. I really want a can for it to shoot subsonics. I purposely didn't make a 300 SBR due to ammo costs and I really don't want to get back into reloading.

No practical reason for this other than insomnia driven driven purchase....
Would not be the first time I bought something I don't have ammo or dies for.
Usually it's the other way. I have dies for XYZ now I need I gun they useful for.
I load a lot of 30cal stuff. Especially cast. Figure if I can get a cast load in subsonic to cycle at 1000-1350fps it will be Fun to load up...

In a nut shell I would be hard pressed to recommend this kit/manufacture.
Just the lack of proper description has me asking myself why did I do this.

It was described as a carbine and in the details says pistol length gas system yet the gas tube is like 9" long.
I have not found any internet info that says X length is Y system?

Wow it's not raining today...
Going to try and test it today.
Results will be iffy as it's not cold,windy and raining like my normal test days.
1st up is some 130gn remington UMC
It's a barns hollow point and Barnes brass.
I can only assume Barnes and remington now owned by the same company.

bite my toungue!!! raining now, still heading out

Last edited:
Other than the rain and wind first test went ok

Attached the old tasco propoint and did a quick bore sight at 20 feet that i figured would get me on paper at 100 yards. Dumped 3 rounds into the berm for function test. Then popped off 3 rounds at 100 yards. Just bought what ever dicks had for the test. Remington UMC 130 grain hollow point flat base. 2000fps-ish Of course the range was flooded and the rains came heavy as soon as I set up the target.....
All in all it functioned and shot ok for the first test.... 3 shots 100 yards. My feet got wet drudging through the 16" of water so I just packed it in after these shots.

I dont expect much from this set up.... 2moa is fine with me. I will be running cast loads and mostly just blasting steel or milk jugs.
now to see which cast bullet will run and feed the best.

NaMwt6jl.jpg

Looking good man!
What moulds are you going to try with this cartridges?
if I can get them to run with out needing a gas check the 311410 lyman are up for a try. Also either a 314299 sized to .310"
If they feed I also have a ranch dog 160 grain tumble lube flat point I would love to have work....I like the clean holes it leaves.
I have 4 different 30 cal molds to try
the other is a lee 309 185 grain that would work well
? Its just getting them to cycle and have at least fun acuracy

Back
Top Bottom