Dave's Sporting Goods in Plaistow, NH

Raising an old thread. I went to Dave's and the guy was pretty helpful. At the time I was looking for a G30 and he gave me the skinny on what needed to be done to effect transfer. I ended up buying a nice used G21 half a mile up the road at Stateline, lol. I have been buying ammo though, so I hit Dave's and Stateline. Next time I'm over there, I'll grab the hours, they're kinda weird. It's a Monday, I just called and he's closed.

I buy ammo from the plaistow wallyworld when they have it. They seldom have 9mm. I live 5min down the road and check almost every morning.

That said, I would rather support the small guy. But when the small guy is 50%+ more expensive than what I can get it for somewhere else it kinda erks me.

I used to really like Daves, bought a few rifles from there and good prices. The staff will never make you feel unwelcome like the shop up the road. Just don't ever try to sell or trade a gun there, they will offer you a great price and then start with the well we don't have the money today that we agreed about, best we can offer is some of our overpriced ammo and half the agreed upon price. Good deal on new and used guns but over priced on Ammo and mags. Also don't expect to find any kind of targets for sale, no matter when you go there you will get the same story "we just ran out" but will point to a pack of 10 year old 100 yard sight in targets behind the counter that can't be sold.

I can't believe it's been 2-1/2 years since anyone here has posted a word about this place.
I was in the area today so I stopped in for a quick look around, I haven't been in there for over a year and last time there wasn't much to see. I was surprised to find about 8-10 AR's on the rack, and the prices didn't seem outrageous compared to what other shops are asking these days.
Not much to speak of for ammo, but did see some interesting handguns in the case, including a competition customized Dan Wesson .357
There was one real gem that caught my eye, a nice Browning 1919 chambered in .308, in a wooden crate complete with tripod, a big bag of links, and it had a rare CrankFire device installed.
Asking price was $5K, which doesn't seem all that unreasonable these days.

I can't believe it's been 2-1/2 years since anyone here has posted a word about this place.
I was in the area today so I stopped in for a quick look around, I haven't been in there for over a year and last time there wasn't much to see. I was surprised to find about 8-10 AR's on the rack, and the prices didn't seem outrageous compared to what other shops are asking these days.
Not much to speak of for ammo, but did see some interesting handguns in the case, including a competition customized Dan Wesson .357
There was one real gem that caught my eye, a nice Browning 1919 chambered in .308, in a wooden crate complete with tripod, a big bag of links, and it had a rare CrankFire device installed.
Asking price was $5K, which doesn't seem all that unreasonable these days.

I used to go there when Dave ran it. The last time I went there (post Dave) was to pick up a rifle I had ordered online. Called the new guy and asked what I owed for receiving the gun, and he said: "don't worry, we'll work something out". When I picked up the gun he asks if I need ammo? Explained I had about 2K rounds for it......so he whacks me for $50 to receive the gun! Guess I should have bought a token amount of ammo to get the $35 price he had been charging! Never have gone back. Way too many good gun shops that don't gouge you.IMO

been there twice since new ownership. I will not be returning prices where to high in my opinion. if I'm going to plaistow for a gun shopping' I'll go to stateline guns ammo and archery.

Went in there quite frequently over the past year, untill the managers true colors were shown. He's a creepy little man that needs a reality check, and with the price of everything on the fly its not worth wasting time going there

Did this place close and re-open under new ownership? I was in there recently, but I cannot remember the name on the new sign. The layout has been reworked. A sofa and chairs have been added to the front of the building. The store is more open and neat in appearance.

Did this place close and re-open under new ownership? I was in there recently, but I cannot remember the name on the new sign. The layout has been reworked. A sofa and chairs have been added to the front of the building. The store is more open and neat in appearance.

It did close and reopen under new ownership. I am unsure of the name now.

It is now called (per the sign) "Byron's Sporting Goods Guns & Ammo" if I recall correctly.
Byrons is the new name. I stopped by there last Thrusday.......the owner was waiting for his FFL to come through......had no prices on anything at that time.

There are now 3 shops in a 1.5 mile stretch of 125 in Plaistow. Don't know how this will work out.

Last edited:
While I'm not as full of venom as bearjuden, I do agree that there are better places to shop for guns. Chris seemed to be a nice kid and all but he simply isn't the guy you want to build a relationship with. I've taken my transfer business to Chester Arms.While they haven't got much of an inventory, they seem helpful and courteous and charge $25 for a transfer (Chris charged $35 last time I used him). Quite frankly, you can do better shopping for firearms online than you can at most local shops for price.

thebearjuden this is a shop review forum, not a airing out your personal grievances forum. It's fine to be critical of firearm, ammo, and transfer prices. However when you lay out what you did you make that wall of text actionable for the shop owner.

Back
Top Bottom