• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dave's Sporting Goods in Plaistow, NH

I just designated this place my dedicated gun shop. Shop is small but he has a good selection of surplus ammo and assault rifles, one of the best I have seen. Prices are pretty decent too!

You can tell by just talking to Dave that he loves what he does. He will not price gouge and he will even do transfers.

I will still go to Collectors, Rileys, and Lewis's but I will always go to Dave's first.

I haven't been there in quite some time. When the SW1911 first came out I was on waiting lists in MA for several months. I went by Daves and he had one that I bought and transfered it back to MA. His prices were good and he was great to deal with.

Pete

Address if you have it please --- I have heard but not found this place yet.
Any days they are not open?

Thanks Adam... I know I have been up and down that road looking for it before .. I will stop by always looking for shops close to the homefront.

Dammit, between this and Rileys I'm not going to get any work done today: I just have to go out and check them out.

Just got back: nice store, very small, feels cramped, but they have a good selection, some surplus, lots of bits and peices, and the guys in there are really friendly. I will be going back.

Hey DPM - just be prepared....Dave's doesn't have too much that's MA approved in stock for hand guns. And those that he does have (at least the last time I was in there a few months back) weren't cheap. He seems friendly tho.

Lynne said:
Hey DPM - just be prepared....Dave's doesn't have too much that's MA approved in stock for hand guns. And those that he does have (at least the last time I was in there a few months back) weren't cheap. He seems friendly tho.

Thanks for the heads up nothing more frustrating then looking at goodies I cant have.

Dave's

Daves is on the right going north on rt 125. just past powersports bike shop. Across from Senter auto parts and in the same plaza as the x rated book store. Dave puts on his tags guns that are Mass compliant, and if he knows you are serious he will hagle when cash is mentioned. He works closely with Rob at Gun & sport North. They do each others transfers.

Just another great experience with Dave's.

Got myself a new sling for my M1, some 30-06, 223, couple trigger locks and rifle socks.

Very helpful, informative, and just all around nice to deal with.

Please if your in Plaistow support Dave's and don't bother stopping at Walmart for your ammo, targets, etc.

Dave has a dealer in MA he works with for transfers. He had told me it isn't a big deal to send it over the line.

His pricing is very fair. Being tax free is even better..

Just picked up a necessary addition to my family:

Amsec 5924 Safe:

yhst-11263169506332_1922_7327659

Ill let you know if I have any problems but his price was great and I love dealing with them.

Unfortunately

Dave has a dealer in MA he works with for transfers. He had told me it isn't a big deal to send it over the line.

His pricing is very fair. Being tax free is even better..

When you live south of the border and transfer it into the state you have to pay Mass sales tax AND a transfer fee. It has to be a hell of a bargain

I have not paid tax on a gun that was transferred to me in Mass. Just the transfer fee. Maybe I need to report it on my tax return this April....

When you live south of the border and transfer it into the state you have to pay Mass sales tax AND a transfer fee. It has to be a hell of a bargain

Who says you have to pay the sales tax? I've done out of state transfers
and haven't had to do that, but I have found MA ffls that are guilty of
collecting the "sales tax". How can they collect a tax on something
which they did not sell to begin with?

-Mike

but I have found MA ffls that are guilty of collecting the "sales tax". How can they collect a tax on something which they did not sell to begin with?

Can you say "increased profits"??

There is no real mechanism for the MA dealer to pay the sales tax to MA on what you paid someone in another state. ALSO, there is no reason why the non-MA dealer or you should tell the MA dealer what you paid for the gun. His end of the transaction is strictly his transaction fee (a labor charge that in itself is non-taxable).

NOTE: Basically the Sales Tax Return asks "how much merchandise did you sell?" and multiply that by 0.05. If you report "merchandise sales" that you didn't actually make, MA DOR will expect to see these numbers reflected on your actual business Income Tax Return! Somehow, I don't think these dealers are paying income tax on revenue that they didn't collect. Thus, I can only conclude that they are stealing the money and pocketing it.

Thus, I can only conclude that they are stealing the money and pocketing it.

That's basically what I was insinuating, Len. There are FFLs in numerous
states that charge bogus "sales tax" on transfers of guns they didn't
sell, and my personal belief is that "tax" goes straight into their pocket.

I'd much rather patronize an FFL that says "I want $50 for transfers" as
opposed to some guy that does it for $15 and collects the dubious "sales
tax". At least the former FFL would be honest about wanting to make
extra money, even if his transfer fee is high, at least he's not telling a
lie to generate profit.

-Mike

Safe has found its happy home with me... I got a bit aggrivated at the end result because of confusion in 2 different aspects of the sale. Including which model was ordered, then the cost - which worked out fine. The total weight of the unit was mis-quoted which required I hire somebody to get it instead of picking it up myself. But end result is I have a nice new safe.

I see the sign he has in his shop,but I just figured it was some sort of sting operation.

Serious question here.

If you KNOW the handgun you want to buy is not deemed "safe" for MA,but you buy it and have it transferred to a MA dealer willing to do the transfer,who is wrong ?

I see the sign he has in his shop,but I just figured it was some sort of sting operation.

You mean that sign that says "Speak English Here"?

Serious question here.

If you KNOW the handgun you want to buy is not deemed "safe" for MA,but you buy it and have it transferred to a MA dealer willing to do the transfer,who is wrong ?

The legality is on the MA FFL.

The MA dealer! That's the way the law is written.

You and I can't KNOW what MA AG considers "safe" as the AG won't tell us! So that responsibility (reading tea leaves) resides with the MA Dealer.

You mean that sign that says "Speak English Here"?

The legality is on the MA FFL.

LOL,ya,that one also.Wonder how that sign would fly here in MA?

The MA dealer! That's the way the law is written.

You and I can't KNOW what MA AG considers "safe" as the AG won't tell us! So that responsibility (reading tea leaves) resides with the MA Dealer.

That's kind of what I figured.

Still though,maybe all replies regarding this should be deleted.Kind of like dealers that ship ammo to MA..I dunno,I'm just paranoid.

I've gone in to Dave's a few times - either for a gift certificate or looking for something, etc. What annoys me (and maybe it's the fact that I just went through it this weekend) is if he's talking to someone (this one seemed to be a friend), he basically ignores you. I had to wait for nearly 10 minutes (after I looked for what I wanted) before he asked if he could help me.

This seems to happen frequently and I've finally had enough of it.

Daves Sporting

Lynne you have to remember when going into any shop. There are 2 types of customers, those with money serious about a purchase, and those with little or no money who mostly browse ( myself included). I make it a point to tell the staff when I enter my intent on that visit up front. Then the staff can keep attending to the business at hand, and doesn't resent wasting valuable time on me. When I do have money to spend, I speak up, and I usually get good service. Daves is probably the first place I tried this and it seems to work pretty well.
Happy Holidays
Jim

Lynne you have to remember when going into any shop. There are 2 types of customers...
Jim

In Lynne's case how would he know if he didn't at least greet her and ask if there was anything specific she was looking for? From reading the various posts about gun shops here, it seems that some owners and employees just don't get it about customer service.

Gary

In Lynne's case how would he know if he didn't at least greet her and ask if there was anything specific she was looking for? From reading the various posts about gun shops here, it seems that some owners and employees just don't get it about customer service.

Gary

Shop owners,just like customers are differant.Some owners prefer to ask up front,others like O'Learys tend to berate customers.

Personally,I don't like to be bothered.

But,if a woman walks into a shop,and there aren't a whole lot of woman shooters...I think an extra effort should be exercised by ANY gun shop owner.

My problem with Lynn's scenario is what if she was a single Mom that wanted to protect herself and knew nothing about firearms ? She happens to see a gun shop and is immediately made to feel not welcome/intimidated upon entering the establishment.Forget the fact the gunshop might have lost a potential sale.The ramifications of a single Mom that felt THAT day was the time to purchase some form of personal protection,and walked away empty handed with no more information than she came in with is fukt.

IMO ANY time a woman walks into a gunshop,they should be treated a little differantly than a man,just because of the above scenario.

Other than that,when I walk into a shop,leave me the F alone unless I ask a question..LOL

Last edited:
Dave doesn't have a website. Talk to him about Garands if you want to get him going. He is a nice guy and treats his customers fairly and his prices are some of the best around. His shop is small but you never know what he has in the back...

Back
Top Bottom