• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Daunte Wright Shooting: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - Edit: Shot by cop who thought she was using a TASER

So pulling your taser should feel lighter than pulling your pistol?
Very much so, different grip, safety (reverse of every safety I've ever dealt with, up to fire on mine at least), no sights, lots of differences.

That said, with a huge adrenaline dump, I could see most of this going to the wind. Having it in a different orientation and away from a firearm is what we do to stop this from happening.

edit: I totally agree with Donut saying cops need to train in high stress situations and become 'comfortable' in those situations. It's not hard to do, I could design a drill where you'd get elevated heart rate and breathing that would come pretty close to an adrenaline dump. Loud metal music, physical exertion, low light or similar situation to create discomfort. But it all goes back to a strong training budget and the will to force people to train even when they don't want to.

Having held both a Police issue taser and obviously a myriad of handguns i dont know how you mange to mix the two up.

Also most cops I see have the taser fixed to their chest pointing down and the sidearm on the waist.

Reminds me of people who plow thru a building with their car and say they mixed up the gas and brake pedals, at least those are right next to each other though

It’s happened before at least a few times. People react differently under stress.

When reaction trumps thought, muscle memory takes over. How many time a year do you think the average officer practices drawing and firing their taser? He went for the car, she flinched, STS, and the rest is burning buildings... Not saying this excuses her f***up by any means. But I can see it.

For that mater I have, via youtube. DonutOperator did a shooting breakdown on this happening a year or a few ago. Also a woman officer BTW. Her partner was wrestling with a guy right at her feet. She drew and point-blanked him in the back. Same thing meant to tase and grabbed the wrong tool. The guy she shot lived.

ETA: Here is the cruiser cam vid of the one I referenced. It is cued up to the beginning of the scuffle to skip the pointless shit. She puts the muzzle against his back like she tried to dry stun him. Then popped him from inches away.

ETA 2: Stupid f***ing age restriction shit.

Last edited:
Don't shoot a gun at someone unless your trying to kill someone.... pretty good rule of thumb

I think that's a terrible rule. The goal is to stop a threat, whether it kills them or not is inconsequential to that.

Certainly there is a high probability you will kill them if you are being effective in your marksmanship. But if that's your rule, if you are facing a threat and shoot them, and they drop and surrender, do you go up to them and finish them off? I mean you ought to be trying to kill them!

That last question is rhetoric and meant to prove a point on why it's not a good rule of thumb, btw. ;)

Let's say she did pull the taser instead of a gun in that situation? Would that have made more "tactical" sense? Seems like the dead guy was already intent on leaving.
This should really just be common sense any angle you look at it.

You can’t just shoot someone for simply trying to get away. I understand it’s looking like she screwed the pooch on this one, but that doesn't matter, she killed somebody that wasn’t due to be killed.

Her actions will;

cost the city/states tax payers tens of millions in payouts, structural damage to buildings, businesses and possibly homes from rioting and looting

make every cops job more dangerous and harder to do without conflict, in turn also making it more dangerous for the surrounding citizenry due to animosity on both sides

re-ignite the defund the police and BLM marches, which of course turn into riots after dark with personal injuries and burning buildings and vehicles

make an honest jury’s job with Floyd’s trial 10x more difficult than it already is

and possibly cause many CoP to remove the taser completely from the rotation until they can somehow determine how to avoid this alleged confusion from happening again, as this is not the first, so to them the easiest response will be take them back, no officer will carry them for the foreseeable future

I honestly don’t know the answer to this here, but did the # of police shootings actually decrease with the use of the taser or are they staying steady regardless? If they did decrease, and the taser is removed then will shootings increase again? She opened a whole other can of worms for a lot of people.

I think the taser will require a complete redesign for it to be ‘safer’ for lack of a better word here, meaning something that you won’t be able to confuse with an actual pistol and shoot some poor bastard just because you panicked and lost sight of your own training and tools.

Tl;dr : it absolutely would’ve made more sense, there’s prolly 10 more reasons why than I listed too.

Late to this latest party, but here's my take. Daunte shouldn't have run, but he shouldn't have had a warrant in the first place. Why? The original issue/horrible deplorable crime that started this snowball was he was carrying a pistol w/o a license. I know, to most Anti's that's a crime against humanity to own a gun, let alone carry one while under 21.

Seriously, I thought we were all for small government and gun rights here? Do they not apply to young adults 18-20? Wasn't there a segment of people on NES who were saying in November that the laws are f*cking pointless because if you can steal and election why should any of us obey any new gun control laws? I won't bring up him being Black, although everyone here knows as well as I do that the Democrats view young, armed Black men like the Grim Reaper and have used them to pass gun control laws going back to the 1800s.

Look, we've all been around, who here back in their teens and 20s didn't know others who were underage who were drinking alcohol and/or smoking weed? Nobody. Who here hasn't taken a selfie of themselves with a gun or taken a picture of a gun they own?

Y'all are seriously sounding like boomers.

We all like to play little gangsters on the inside, everybody likes to play an outlaw, but there's a difference between playing outlaw and being an outlaw and if we're gonna say that some 19/20 year old Black kid who posts silly things on Twitter about running from cops like he's Harrison Ford in The Fugitive, whose got pics of himself drinking and smokin' a blunt who's carrying a pistol without a license should not be allowed to do that when the 2nd Amendment says he has a right to do so, then we've got some issues with consistency in our beliefs.

That having been said, Daunte shouldn't have tried running, least of all jumping in the car with his ho in the passenger seat to get in a high speed chase. He deserved to get shocked by the Taser, but the grandma diversity hire cop who has probably been a counter jockey most her career, f*cked up royally pulling her Glock instead of the Taser.

I've seen the "I meant to use the Taser/I thought it was a Taser" excuse before and here's the deal: you are a police officer, the department spends upwards disgusting amounts of money on equipment, training, testing, etc. to make an officer proficient in their duty. At over 25 years on the force you should not be making the Taser mistake because if the Taser mistake is going to be accepted and every time a cop goes for the Taser and pulls out the 9mm or .40 pistol and kills a suspect, we're gonna have a lot of dead people who don't deserve or need to die.

I don't want to hear the "just obey and nothing bad will happen" bullshit, you may as well just say if someone resists arrest they deserve to be executed. I say if you resist arrest, you're gonna get hurt, but I do not equate attempting to flee to be tantamount to attempting to kill a police officer. Apparently the grandma with the Taser didn't think he was too much of a threat because she intended to use the Taser and not her pistol.

But, for those here who like their militarized police state where every cop can be Judge Dredd... you know if you like your militarized police state, you can keep your militarized police state. Just don't complain when your militarized police state is turned on you to take your guns.

So I wonder where Andy Ngo got:
This is something that I'm seeing in MAGA affiliated media in that they're defending police at every twist and turn and to achieve that they're making up excuses and lies to fit a narrative and make any questionable shoot a good shoot.

The video of the Black Lieutenant in Virginia was another one, they make him out to be the worst POS since Ted Bundy.

MAGA media, and a lot of MAGA like here on NES are flat out refusing to accept that police are not universally good, they're not divine angels with perfect wisdom and intelligence, they're just guys and girls with a badge backed up by a union mob under the guise of law enforcement and civic duty.

A fugging paper license plate in the tinted rear window of an SUV (BTW, most SUV's come factory standard with tinted rear windows) isn't capital murder. IDK why we support revenue collectors in cars with flashing lights pulling people over for that bullshit, there's more pressing issues to take care of and if there aren't, maybe we don't need so many police, police cars, etc. and we can have our taxes reduced.

Do you normally point pellet guns out of the hotel room windows you’re staying in? Do you also worry about great white shark attack? Or being killed by a vending machines?
IIRC, it wasn't he was pointing it out the window, someone saw him thru the window with the gun.

But bootlickers will always find an excuse and blame it on not the police. "Oh, he should have closed the blinds and curtains of the windows" or "Oh, he shouldn't have been drinking" or "Oh, he should have listened more closely to commands."

Accept that not all cops are good and you can begin to understand there's a problem that requires a solution; the police have been militarized, they need to be de-militarized. The police need to accept that having an armed citizenry is normal and healthy, not abnormal and fringe.

Spring, and time to get those new sneakers, upgrade your phone and try some new video games. The ones looted last year are getting lame...

“The Foot Locker, T-Mobile and GameStop stores in the city were among the stores looted last May, said Mark Allen, the president of the Brooklyn Center Business Association.”

I think that's a terrible rule. The goal is to stop a threat, whether it kills them or not is inconsequential to that.

Certainly there is a high probability you will kill them if you are being effective in your marksmanship. But if that's your rule, if you are facing a threat and shoot them, and they drop and surrender, do you go up to them and finish them off? I mean you ought to be trying to kill them!

That last question is rhetoric and meant to prove a point on why it's not a good rule of thumb, btw. ;)
You forget the other rule of escalating to deadly force.

The opponent has a say.

Now in a vacuum you're correct. With no one reacting to your shooting at then you take your time and disable them

However once you add another person to the mix... you better be trying to kill them

I mean do what you want lol idc

This should really just be common sense any angle you look at it.

You can’t just shoot someone for simply trying to get away. I understand it’s looking like she screwed the pooch on this one, but that doesn't matter, she killed somebody that wasn’t due to be killed.

Her actions will;

cost the city/states tax payers tens of millions in payouts, structural damage to buildings, businesses and possibly homes from rioting and looting

make every cops job more dangerous and harder to do without conflict, in turn also making it more dangerous for the surrounding citizenry due to animosity on both sides

re-ignite the defund the police and BLM marches, which of course turn into riots after dark with personal injuries and burning buildings and vehicles

make an honest jury’s job with Floyd’s trial 10x more difficult than it already is

and possibly cause many CoP to remove the taser completely from the rotation until they can somehow determine how to avoid this alleged confusion from happening again, as this is not the first, so to them the easiest response will be take them back, no officer will carry them for the foreseeable future

I honestly don’t know the answer to this here, but did the # of police shootings actually decrease with the use of the taser or are they staying steady regardless? If they did decrease, and the taser is removed then will shootings increase again? She opened a whole other can of worms for a lot of people.

I think the taser will require a complete redesign for it to be ‘safer’ for lack of a better word here, meaning something that you won’t be able to confuse with an actual pistol and shoot some poor bastard just because you panicked and lost sight of your own training and tools.

Tl;dr : it absolutely would’ve made more sense, there’s prolly 10 more reasons why than I listed too.
I want to add the diver did hit other cars. So those folks will sue the police, and our tax dollars will be wasted.

I want to add the diver did hit other cars. So those folks will sue the police, and our tax dollars will be wasted.
Our taxes wont be wasted, they will just print what they need now. Our taxes became a punishment and will serve their purpose

Probably due to the quality of the body camera? Sudden, sharp, massive increase in sound, and the mic can’t register it? That would be my guess.

I've watched it many times now and still can't hear a gunshot. I get what you are saying that it may not be recorded, but I have a hard time beleiving cops would buy a cam that can't detect gunshots. Additionally, I hear that woman cackling over the whole video, so it seems the recorder would go out for everything, including her saying taser, taser, taser. I just don't get it.

I've watched it many times now and still can't hear a gunshot. I get what you are saying that it may not be recorded, but I have a hard time beleiving cops would buy a cam that can't detect gunshots. Additionally, I hear that woman cackling over the whole video, so it seems the recorder would go out for everything, including her saying taser, taser, taser. I just don't get it.
It's called shit equipment, it's not a conspiracy.

Late to this latest party, but here's my take. Daunte shouldn't have run, but he shouldn't have had a warrant in the first place. Why? The original issue/horrible deplorable crime that started this snowball was he was carrying a pistol w/o a license. I know, to most Anti's that's a crime against humanity to own a gun, let alone carry one while under 21.

Seriously, I thought we were all for small government and gun rights here? Do they not apply to young adults 18-20? Wasn't there a segment of people on NES who were saying in November that the laws are f*cking pointless because if you can steal and election why should any of us obey any new gun control laws? I won't bring up him being Black, although everyone here knows as well as I do that the Democrats view young, armed Black men like the Grim Reaper and have used them to pass gun control laws going back to the 1800s.

Look, we've all been around, who here back in their teens and 20s didn't know others who were underage who were drinking alcohol and/or smoking weed? Nobody. Who here hasn't taken a selfie of themselves with a gun or taken a picture of a gun they own?

Y'all are seriously sounding like boomers.

We all like to play little gangsters on the inside, everybody likes to play an outlaw, but there's a difference between playing outlaw and being an outlaw and if we're gonna say that some 19/20 year old Black kid who posts silly things on Twitter about running from cops like he's Harrison Ford in The Fugitive, whose got pics of himself drinking and smokin' a blunt who's carrying a pistol without a license should not be allowed to do that when the 2nd Amendment says he has a right to do so, then we've got some issues with consistency in our beliefs.

That having been said, Daunte shouldn't have tried running, least of all jumping in the car with his ho in the passenger seat to get in a high speed chase. He deserved to get shocked by the Taser, but the grandma diversity hire cop who has probably been a counter jockey most her career, f*cked up royally pulling her Glock instead of the Taser.

I've seen the "I meant to use the Taser/I thought it was a Taser" excuse before and here's the deal: you are a police officer, the department spends upwards disgusting amounts of money on equipment, training, testing, etc. to make an officer proficient in their duty. At over 25 years on the force you should not be making the Taser mistake because if the Taser mistake is going to be accepted and every time a cop goes for the Taser and pulls out the 9mm or .40 pistol and kills a suspect, we're gonna have a lot of dead people who don't deserve or need to die.

I don't want to hear the "just obey and nothing bad will happen" bullshit, you may as well just say if someone resists arrest they deserve to be executed. I say if you resist arrest, you're gonna get hurt, but I do not equate attempting to flee to be tantamount to attempting to kill a police officer. Apparently the grandma with the Taser didn't think he was too much of a threat because she intended to use the Taser and not her pistol.

But, for those here who like their militarized police state where every cop can be Judge Dredd... you know if you like your militarized police state, you can keep your militarized police state. Just don't complain when your militarized police state is turned on you to take your guns.

This guy that was shot is why the antis have to take white fragility training. They know, deep down inside, that what they are doing with their rules and laws is harming primarily young black men or minorities in general. The people who are stuck living in sh*t holes have no way of defending themselves and calling the cops can be a death sentence in itself. But yet they vote for politicians who keep them helpless.

It's called shit equipment, it's not a conspiracy.

I do love a good conspiracy, but I wasn't going there with this one yet. It is just odd that you can hear sound all the way through the video with no drop off, then she casually says "I shot him". Would like to see the cam from the passenger side hero.

I do love a good conspiracy, but I wasn't going there with this one yet. It is just odd that you can hear sound all the way through the video with no drop off, then she casually says "I shot him". Would like to see the cam from the passenger side hero.
I'm sure they'll be releasing those if they don't press charges against Officer Granny.

You couldn’t pay me enough to be a cop nowadays. Guilty no matter what you do. Did she make a mistake? Yep. Did it happen because the scumbag was running? Yep.

I don’t care what color you are. Run and you run the risk of getting shot. I’ve got no problem with that. I’d rather see the cop go home to their family over a scumbag any day of the week.

This guy that was shot is why the antis have to take white fragility training. They know, deep down inside, that what they are doing with their rules and laws is harming primarily young black men or minorities in general. The people who are stuck living in sh*t holes have no way of defending themselves and calling the cops can be a death sentence in itself. But yet they vote for politicians who keep them helpless.
yeah, and one of the reasons I'm not going to brand the young man a violent future gangbanger felon over some dopey picture that lots of people his age take of themselves to look cool or hip is because he's a Black guy living in a horribly shitty city of Minneapolis and I'm sure crime is common there, Black on Black crime especially. So far as I know, he's never been charged with anything outside of that unlawful carry deal and the failure to appear, IMO he is 2021's Randy Weaver.

The fact is if Daunte were living in Phoenix, Oklahoma City, or St. Louis and he was carrying a pistol without a permit, you know what he'd be called? A good, upstanding citizen because they don't have carry licenses.

I will not defend him trying to flee and resisting, he should know that it's not a video game, you don't get away. He acted poorly, that doesn't mean he should have been shot dead when Officer Betty White was trying to use Mr. Taser and grabbed Mr. Glock instead.

You couldn’t pay me enough to be a cop nowadays. Guilty no matter what you do. Did she make a mistake? Yep. Did it happen because the scumbag was running? Yep.

I don’t care what color you are. Run and you run the risk of getting shot. I’ve got no problem with that. I’d rather see the cop go home to their family over a scumbag any day of the week.
And that cop is a lifelong Democrat, President of the police union for her town. She's the chief jackboot for Brooklyn Center and what crime did Daunte commit? Unlawful carry, a misdemeanor.

But please, do tell us how carrying a pistol without a license when you're not a prohibited person is such a terrible crime when it's legal in 17 states...

And that cop is a lifelong Democrat, President of the police union for her town. She's the chief jackboot for Brooklyn Center and what crime did Daunte commit? Unlawful carry, a misdemeanor.

But please, do tell us how carrying a pistol without a license when you're not a prohibited person is such a terrible crime when it's legal in 17 states...

I get it. Your a cop hater. Anything they do is wrong and the scumbag is ok for making a run for it. You and I will never agree on this. I personally think most LEs are good people just trying to do their job. If you think you could do better buck up and try to do that job and see how you perform in that high stress position.

I get it. Your a cop hater. Anything they do is wrong and the scumbag is ok for making a run for it. You and I will never agree on this. I personally think most LEs are good people just trying to do their job. If you think you could do better buck up and try to do that job and see how you perform in that high stress position.

That is always the go to response from LEO-types. Is it OK to criticize LEO for their performance, without being told to go do it myself if I don't like it? Or is it that this particular case, the only solution is a mis-fired taser which turned out to be a gun? I think its OK for us to expect better without being told I need to "buck up". Maybe y'all should start taking accountability for bad eggs instead of just deflecting and telling me how stressful it is, as if working people don't understand stress.

Edited to add: yes, I believe I could do a better job in this particular case.

Back
Top Bottom