Daughter wants a Gun

Well, you said you had a 365, let her try it out. If it's a bit too much you could drop down to a .380 or 22 magnum. Without knowing what you have on hand or having access through by way of friends or ranges, it's a bit up in the air. I would probably start her out again with .22 LR and slowly bring her up in recoil to see where it becomes uncomfortable. and then lower it to a point where she does well. The key is at what point does she do best with maximum power. Beyond that its bad habits and lack of practice. A bunch of 22's to the face is better than a near miss with a 50 BMG.

i saw plenty of women handling 9mm guns at MFS range. p365 will work just fine, if it is already available.
just let her shoot one gun until she gets it well, and do not waste time with .22lr as all it matters for her is to be able to hit a 12" target from 5 yds.

I would counter point that to you smell weird...

Kidding if my dad was buying lol which I'm assuming the op is... I'm getting zev everythang, if I'm buying ill probably get cheaper parts

My point being is that the ops daughter will probably feel more comfortable around firearms if she builds one and thus be more inclined to carry it

If you use quality parts a p80 should be fine

But building is the most expensive option
I bought everything from OC

What's with the common recommendation for a young woman to get a 'snubby' as a first gun? For a noob it's incredibly difficult to master and the bark and recoil might not be fun for some. Go G4Y4HK and get a P30SK. The second amendment only goes up to ten in MA for new guns so might as well find something designed for 10+1.

What's with the common recommendation for a young woman to get a 'snubby' as a first gun? For a noob it's incredibly difficult to master and the bark and recoil might not be fun for some. Go G4Y4HK and get a P30SK. The second amendment only goes up to ten in MA for new guns so might as well find something designed for 10+1.
old timers hate anything that is not round and does not turn around.
:p

New class forming.

She’s 27, just finishing an amicable divorce (as amicable as they can be), and is moving from Nashua to Manchester to an apartment that‘s in an OK neighborhood but not immune from violent crime. I asked if she’d like to go to an NRA Refuse to be a Victim class together and she said, how about a gun class instead?

I took her and her younger brother shooting when young, so she’s shot 22 pistols and rifles, and a AR15. My son is just out of the 82nd Airborne as a SAW gunner, so he’s set, and in school down in NC. SIG Academy has excellent courses but is booked solid for months, so I’ll ask a local instructor whom I’ve known for decades for a dad-daughter class at a local commercial range to get started.

She’s pretty slight of stature, but fit and strong, so might manage my SIG P365 or Glock G43. If not, maybe a 380acp - I only have a KelTec P3AT…not a weapon fit for primary use. Her hands would never manage a G19. Are there other good options to consider?

The NRA RTBAV class is still in the plan - there’s so much more to personnel security and self-defense than being able to put holes in a target. She’s been to a Women;s Self-Defense 1-day class with my wife - we’re both martial arts instructors but prefer others teach our kids such skills…who listens to their parents until they turn 40?
Dont dismiss gun size to hand size
My wife has child size hands and the 1911 is her pic for shootinng. Handles that just fine. Would she carry a 1911, No

Girlfriend has a Smith & Wesson M&P 2.0 compact and loves it. She as well is slight in stature so finding her a gun that would fit was a bit of a challenge.

I love my M&P 2.0 compact. Best decision I ever made to get my hands on one. I find it very easy to keep it on target.

MFL is just 5mi away and I’m a member 😉

I figured the 1st time shooting in over a decade, an instructor can teach/advise her rather than me. Mom is willing and interested in joining as well. I don’t need to be there but let’s make it a family outing!

Some of MFL’s folks are well-experienced teaching women - I learned a lot from one of their folks myself in the late 90s, when NH-TAG was active there. Then she can try my Glock G19/G43, SIG P365/P238, KelTec PF9/P3AT and see what feels right, how 38acp compares to 9mm depending on weight and ammo, etc. Then rent the other options noted above.

She’ll have an opinion, for sure. If it’s not my P365 or G19, then I’ll gift her one of mine if she prefers. If not, she can buy her own gun.

”Gun Guys” (and Gun Gals) will have many guns but I think she’ll just have one. Mom will just know where the gun she prefers is stored, so she can punch buttons to get it as needed. But she’d rather slice a miscreant in half with a naginata. Either way, the rugs will need shampooing. 😅
One thing I've found, anyone but 'you' is better when it comes to wives or other women in your life.

Secretly, they think you are Homer Simpson I think.

While the 365 is tiny she may not like it. Small and light also equal more recoil impulse.
if it fits her and she can get a good grip and angle then great.

Its been a long time since I went to Manchester firing line but they had a good selection of rentals. I’ve heard good things in the past about granite state indoor range too.

I'm small and I have small hands, Sig P938 and P238 are very comfortable. Also my hands are shot from working and I have some arthritis and tendonitis starting so DH got a S&W EZ which is also vert comfortable.

We own a G43. The size is the only redeeming quality. The recoil and sight radius are terrible. Let he shoot a G19 and the G43 before you buy the G43.

A viable 22LR option is the M&P. It's a good pistol. Reliable,good for small hands, light and low recoil.

i saw plenty of women handling 9mm guns at MFS range. p365 will work just fine, if it is already available.
just let her shoot one gun until she gets it well, and do not waste time with .22lr as all it matters for her is to be able to hit a 12" target from 5 yds.
We trained women with the same guns and same rounds as the men. Scores went up across the board when we switched to 9mm. With proper training, as I said earlier, it may not be best for 'dad' to give it to her, it's more about a gun that 'fits' her.

If for self defense, go beyond punching holes in paper. Get her legal as well as high stress training. The old 'he was coming right for me' doesn't hold up when talking to a homicide detective.

Is this for carry or home defense or both.
Yet to be determined - she hasn’t shot since a teenager.
(Did anyone else first parse that as,
"... she hasn't shot a teenager",
and complete it in their mind,
"... yet - because we are talking Manchvegas"?)
[shocked][angry]

If she's a beginner at centerfire handguns, you already know that managing recoil will be her biggest challenge, and that a pistol with some mass to it will be easier for her to shoot. Sure, the concealability of a mini-pistol is hard to beat, but they require skill and strength to manage well. Three of the best solutions I've used for such shooters are the Ruger American 9mm pistol, the SIG P320, and any high-quality 9mm 1911 provided that its grip is sized for 9mm, and not for .45.. The Ruger's small grip insert is the smallest and most comfortable grip I've encountered for a full-size pistol and most smaller women find it very comfortable and easy to control. The SIG with the small grip frame is almost as good, but not quite as comfortable. My wife tried both and chose the Ruger as her birthday present one year. Both being full-sized pistols are extremely easy to control and to shoot accurately. The mass of a nice 1911 makes it very easy to shoot as long as she doesn't limp-wrist it and cause stovepipes.

As far as carrying a full-size pistol, I recommend a Gun-Totin' Mamas purse or a Ukuala bag for concealment.

If she's comfortable handling something on the thicker side, the P30SK fits well and is very manageable. I jokes sir, pls don't kill me OP.

She’s 27, just finishing an amicable divorce (as amicable as they can be), and is moving from Nashua to Manchester to an apartment that‘s in an OK neighborhood but not immune from violent crime. I asked if she’d like to go to an NRA Refuse to be a Victim class together and she said, how about a gun class instead?

I took her and her younger brother shooting when young, so she’s shot 22 pistols and rifles, and a AR15. My son is just out of the 82nd Airborne as a SAW gunner, so he’s set, and in school down in NC. SIG Academy has excellent courses but is booked solid for months, so I’ll ask a local instructor whom I’ve known for decades for a dad-daughter class at a local commercial range to get started.

She’s pretty slight of stature, but fit and strong, so might manage my SIG P365 or Glock G43. If not, maybe a 380acp - I only have a KelTec P3AT…not a weapon fit for primary use. Her hands would never manage a G19. Are there other good options to consider?

The NRA RTBAV class is still in the plan - there’s so much more to personnel security and self-defense than being able to put holes in a target. She’s been to a Women;s Self-Defense 1-day class with my wife - we’re both martial arts instructors but prefer others teach our kids such skills…who listens to their parents until they turn 40?
Introduce her to Lena Miculek NOW on YouTube.

View: https://youtu.be/wp5qtDr7ZSU

Made all the difference with a friend (female, 40, divorced. With a 16 yo daughter. ).

They started watching her channel together and a few months later are both competing in .22lr rimfire, have taken several courses, and are building up

Seeing someone like that run a fun helped so much in their mind.

Have to disagree on the P80 build.

Building Glocks is fun and not too challenging, but a lot of the parts sold s*ck major a**.

I just had to order some OEM parts for a Glock I build because the striker wasn't resetting. It worked for like 500 rounds, then one day it just stopped, nothing looked broken. It took me a few minutes, and some pics in a private message with other NES members, to figure it out. I said f*ck it and ordered OEM parts.

While it is not a big deal for me, it would be too much for someone that can barely remove the barrel of a gun.

I am also not sure I would want to trust my life to a P80 build.

My recommendations ...

365, I have the X, which if I remember correctly is the compact slide with the XL grips and it is great. That gun should fit most hand sizes comfortably, and SIG flooded the market so there is a ton of support and videos.

She could check out a Kahr as well. Many here dont like the trigger pull, too long for some, but the gun is probably the easiest 9mm to conceal.

Glock 43 is a good choice, up there with SIG 365.

A revolver could be good, but I am not a CCW revolver guy so I can't comment on that.
I disagree on small 9mm's for a female that hasn't fired pistols other than .22s extensively. With significant practice, yes, but not otherwise.

I disagree on small 9mm's for a female that hasn't fired pistols other than .22s extensively. With significant practice, yes, but not otherwise.
A .22 is only good to learn how to aim and how a semi works.

OP:
I took her and her younger brother shooting when young, so she’s shot 22 pistols and rifles,

Back
Top Bottom