Daughter is a college student in RI - Can she buy firearms there?

richc

NES Member
My oldest is a senior at Providence College. She lives on campus, but her driver's license and mailing address are at our home in Massachusetts.

She will soon be getting her LTC here in MA. But I'm wondering if, as a student living in RI most of the year, she would be eligible to buy firearms in RI? Then when she comes home after graduation could she legally bring those firearms back to MA, including those that are not on the MA roster?

Thanks,

Rich

You should not rely on any answer except on giving by a member of the Rhode Island bar (which I am not).

That said, because your daughter did not take up an abode in Rhode Island with a then-present intent to remain in Rhode Island for the indefinite future, she did not become a resident of Rhode Island. This has both state and federal implications for her ability to purchase firearms in Rhode Island.

when i was stationed in phoenix i technically lived there and once i got an AZ drivers license i was able to buy guns there

although i was still registered to vote and had my car insured and registered at my parents house back in MA

so i would say she could legally buy firearms in RI IF she had a RI drivers license, but i doubt you can get a drivers license with a campus address, unless shes lives in off campus housing

of course theres the pesky no firearms on schools thing and off campus housing probably is part of that :O(

Must be a bona fide resident to buy handguns. However, she may buy long guns. She would be subject to our silly 7.5 day waiting period. There are only a couple FFL's that I know of that would be willing though.

Thank you, all. I was hoping she would legally be able to buy some of the cool things that we in MA are unable to.

Oh well...

[grin]

Unless she becomes a RI resident then she can't buy handguns w/o having the RI FFL dealer transferring it to a MA FFL which then subjects the handgun to the Attorney General's [rofl]ingenious handgun regulations[rofl]. Federal law states you can only buy a handgun in the state in which your are resident. She could probably buy a rifle or shotgun a little easier.

Unless she becomes a RI resident then she can't buy handguns w/o having the RI FFL dealer transferring it to a MA FFL which then subjects the handgun to the Attorney General's [rofl]ingenious handgun regulations[rofl]. Federal law states you can only buy a handgun in the state in which your are resident. She could probably buy a rifle or shotgun a little easier.

[rofl]ingenious handgun regulations[rofl]... you got that right. Local dealer has a pink Sig Mosquito in stock. My daughter likes it, but I can't buy it for her because of the color. Yup... that's right... identical pistol, but just because it is a different color it is not MA compliant.

Go figure...

ATF on their FAQ's says that in this case, they are a resident of that state when they are present there. So if you have a vacation home or college dorm, you are a resident when you are actually residing there.

Legally: yes (or, "maybe" at worst, "probably" at best)
Practically: no

Here's why: laws and ATF regulations aside, no FFL is ever required to complete a sale. Matter of fact, they're required to not complete it unless they're satisfied that it's legal and proper. Frequently in their newsletters, ATF makes a point of mentioning this; dealers are encouraged to reject any deal they find suspicious.

Even though the law and regs allow for someone to use "other documents" to show residency for a handgun purchase, the reality (and my experience) is that few FFLs are willing to risk this. (One exception is for military personnel, and a dealer who frequently handles their business.) Given the high cost of making a mistake, and the vehemence with which ATF can pursue a dealer who's in their sights, I can't blame them for demanding a current in-state DL for any handgun transfer. Rent receipts, utility bills, student ID... no thanks, I'm not risking a million dollar business and prison time over it!

Back
Top Bottom