Date of manufacture for S&W model 60

appraiser

NES Member
Is there any easy way to find out when a gun was made by serial number?

a model 60 SS .38 revolver sn 849XX

Is there any easy way to find out when a gun was made by serial number?

a model 60 SS .38 revolver sn 849XX

First off, is that the number inside the crane area (which would be an assembly number, not the serial number)? Or is it the number from the bottom of the butt? Which would be the serial number.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, the Model 60 was first produced in 1965 and shared serial number with the other Chief's Special models starting at about serial number 401754. In 1969 they changed to "R" prefix serial numbers beginning with R1.

Please confirm the serial number on the bottom of the butt and we can go from there.

R2902XX is the SN (the X's are really numbers I just didn't want the whole world to know what gun I own)

No problem on the "x's", in fact that is what I do also.

Your Model 60 dates to about 1980-1981. The serial number ranges don't go any further and to get an exact date you would have to pay Roy Jinks $50 for a history letter.

If you want a S&W M17 you should go to the Smith & Wesson Forum (www.smith-wessonforum.com) and look through those classifieds.

And don't feel bad, we all make mistakes like these from time to time.

I am looking for a rough manufacturing date of my SS model 60 no dash serial #684xx. There is no letter or letter before or after the SN.

I am looking for a rough manufacturing date of my SS model 60 no dash serial #684xx. There is no letter or letter before or after the SN.
Hmm, took a look in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (4th edition). That serial seems to look like ~1955, yet seems the stainless model 60 wasn't out until 1965? Are you sure it's only 5 digits? Serials #295000 - 786544 should run from 1962 thru 1969, so a #684xxx might work for 1965-67ish.

Hmm, took a look in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (4th edition). That serial seems to look like ~1955, yet seems the stainless model 60 wasn't out until 1965? Are you sure it's only 5 digits? Serials #295000 - 786544 should run from 1962 thru 1969, so a #684xxx might work for 1965-67ish.

Did you find this number inside the crane when you open up the cylinder? It may be an assembly number, used to keep major parts of the gun together during it's build.

Look on the butt of the revolver and tell us what you see there?

Added: Are you sure that it is stainless steel and not nickled (or refinished)?

When you open the cylinder is it stamped M60 on the yoke just below the rear of the barrel?

Are there 5 digits in the serial number? Or 6?

If it is 684xxx then it is probably late 60's.

Last edited:

My father just gave me his model 60 no dash, maybe u fellas can help me out as well and save me a couple bucks from buying the book. On the butt I got a AFU95** I removed the grips and have a 7583 on one side and the other I got 46x17

My father just gave me his model 60 no dash, maybe u fellas can help me out as well and save me a couple bucks from buying the book. On the butt I got a AFU95** I removed the grips and have a 7583 on one side and the other I got 46x17

as I posted previously in this thread: How to Identify/Date a S&W

Note you can also call S&W and just give them the serial number and they'll tell you the born on date.

Hello mine has serial no w0337xx
Does anyone know what year is it made?
Also I could not see the « mod 60 » written inside is it normal?
It is a stainless steel 38 special
Thanks

Hello mine has serial no w0337xx

This is not a recognized S&W serial number. "W" has not been used by S&W in their serial numbers.

If there is no "Mod 60" printed inside the crane it is most likely pre-1957.

Are you sure it's stainless steel and not nickle plated?

Please check the number again.

Added: Model 60 was introduced around 1960.

added: Correction on the use of the letter, "W". It has been used as one of the letters in the three letter serial numbers beginning around 1980.

Last edited:
This is not a recognized S&W serial number. "W" has not been used by S&W in their serial numbers.

If there is no "Mod 60" printed inside the crane it is most likely pre-1957.

Are you sure it's stainless steel and not nickle plated?

Please check the number again.

Added: Model 60 was introduced around 1960.

added: Correction on the use of the letter, "W". It has been used as one of the letters in the three letter serial numbers beginning around 1980.

First off, is that the number inside the crane area (which would be an assembly number, not the serial number)? Or is it the number from the bottom of the butt? Which would be the serial number.

According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, the Model 60 was first produced in 1965 and shared serial number with the other Chief's Special models starting at about serial number 401754. In 1969 they changed to "R" prefix serial numbers beginning with R1.

Please confirm the serial number on the bottom of the butt and we can go from there.
Butt number is BBU6697

Butt number is BBU6697

"BBU" is not specifically listed in the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson but other "BB(X)" listings would make this roughly 1988-89.

Next stop would be to call Smith&Wesson directly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom