1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Dashcam footage shows Medway officer being hit by vehicle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by robjax, Dec 6, 2018.

1. robjax

robjax NES Member

The title is incorrect. The cop walked in front of the car. I tell my kids all the time to not cross until you know the driver sees you and stops. This is a perfect example of the cop thinking the driver saw him. Still I am not sure where its says in the police manual that if a driver is not obeying your commands then you should jump in front of the car.

They say he was a retired officer on a detail. I think maybe he should stay retired and not do anymore details.

Dashcam footage shows Medway officer being hit by vehicle

Uzi2 likes this.

2. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

"It was a 71-year-old man who struck that special police officer."

Special, lol!

robjax likes this.
  3. George D

George D NES Member

They must teach that in Medway detail school. I almost ran a detail officer over at night that decided to shine his retina burning flashlight in my eyes then walk in front of my truck.

4. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

really?

5. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

LOL. I watched a girl on her frickin phone almost take out a cop on a construction detail here in FR. She almost drove OFF of Rt24 twice b/c of texting. Probably yelling at her BF or something. Takes exit. Cop is allowing traffic. Stops her. SHE DOESN'T STOP. Missed hitting him by about 1/2". It was too bad he didn't pull her out of the car for texting while driving. I'd have sat her sorry ass down on the side of the road for a half-hour or so so a proper officer could come and deal with her.

Maybe that was her grandpa in the video.

6. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

"Hey...thanks for effing up my night vision, you dick!" :) I'm sure if you'd said that, you'd have been shot for resisting! lol

7. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

I rarely see it, but I love it when there is a cop directing traffic that seems to be delivering vague hand signals, as if it pains him to lift his arms up higher than waist level or something. One time I encountered one that loosely resembled a 8 year old twirling a yo-yo around on a string... really helpful when half the drivers are stopping and squinting to try to figure out what the f*** "signal" the guy is emanating.

-Mike

AHM likes this.
  8. TJL

TJL

"is a retired Medway police....... working a detail"

"Special" ?.. please explain......

Did Massachusetts law change and "civilians" can now work "Police Details" ?

9. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

Listen, you would never meet a more fair cop than Richard Malo. He was a cop when i was a kid growing up in Medway and being a troublemaker I had my fair share of run ins with him. He would always treat us fairly and would let us off with a stern lecture about trying not to be stupid. He was the one that issued my first FID card when i was a kid. As I got older I took an EMT course through the town and he was taking it also, he would have a couple of beers with us after the classes and told us if we ever got jammed up in a different town have the cops call him. One of our students got arrested down in Texas and he asked the cops to call Dick Malo up, 15 minutes later the guy walked out of the Texas police station with no charges.
    My only issue is that Malo must be pretty old and probably shouldnt be doing detail work.

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

You shoulda seen the crew they got for the construction dealing with 79/195/Braggadaccio Bridge in FR. All retired cops. Not a single one with any sort of detail training. Most just watching the construction. Shoulda brought them a web-chair and a Piña Colada.

Forget the fact that we are the ONLY state in the union that requires this. Because MA people are extra stupid somehow and are unsafe. . . but only when in Massachusetts. MA resident driving past a NH or CT construction zone - safe. I hate this bullspit. Worse would be all the cops crying poor-mouth when the law DID get passed because they RELY on the detail OT to survive.

Evadd and TJL like this.
  11. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

The cop jumped in front of the car - Special alright.

robjax likes this.
  12. Greg

Greg NES Member

Details save lives !

And make boat payments.

Shire Guy, M1911 and robjax like this.
  13. robjax

robjax NES Member

I'll take you word he might be a great guy. But it also seems he should have listened to his own advice....he put himself in front of that car. To me...that's kind of stupid.

14. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Ahhh...got it. As long as you are buddies with a cop, you get special treatment. Makes 100% sense.

TJL likes this.
  15. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

Seems like a case of driver was watching traffic and he stepped out in front of car as it was turning. This is a case of two people both not paying attention to what is happening and both making poor decisions. I'm sure they'll try to throw the book at the driver for what should be a no fault situation.

If you're a pedestrian in a street, the car has the right if way. Not by man's law, but the laws of physics. The lack of survival instinct by some people is astounding. Don't step in front of moving objects that can kill you. Pretty standard rule for life.

Shire Guy, TJL and drgrant like this.
  16. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

When you are 19 and need a get out of jail free card? Absolutely.
    Have you ever been in a jail cell? They suck.

17. snax

snax NES Member

My father has some retired cop friends working details (They are specials) at the gas line work in Lawrence. Making a killing.

18. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

Didn’t the law change last year here and they don’t need to be cops for details.

19. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

It changed a while ago but they still have to pay union rate so most towns go with the cops

20. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Nope...never put myself into that position. I mean...yeah it's nice and all that you have a 'get out of jail free' card when you need it, but then you can't complain about other people like politicians getting special treatment because of who they are or who they know.

21. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

Never did anything dumb as a kid? I never used it myself but got pcd for disorderly conduct .

22. TJL

TJL

Thanks for the info,
    I wasn't aware of the change.

23. sieveboy

sieveboy NES Member

Note to self: Don't try and stop a moving car.

fencer and robjax like this.
  24. new guy

new guy NES Member

He looked like he was palms up before he got hit, making a "WTF are you doing?" gesture to the driver, who clearly didn't see him. In that situation walking farther in front of the car (in an attempt to try to physically stop it?) was pretty stupid.

robjax likes this.
  25. BTSDOG

BTSDOG NES Member

ever wonder why there are so many crashes at workzone-construction sites on the highway?? Look at how they BLIND everyone with those frickin lights they use. And the strobes on the cruisers, WAYYYYY to bright. Cops know there are TWO settings on strobes, daytime and nightime, yet they always leave them on the highest setting.....

Shire Guy likes this.
  26. Alex9661

Alex9661 NES Member

I almost hit a cop years ago in Brighton after dark. Narrow street, cars parked like sardines on both sides, cruiser double parked facing the wrong way with it's disco lights visible from Venus. I was going around it when a cop stepped in front of me. He called me an a hole and promised to take away my drivers license next time I do something like that.

27. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Nope...nothing to the level of police involvement. My dad was in the military and he didn't put up with any bullshit. In fact, my drug talk went like this.
    Dad: "Boy, I'm telling you right now. Drugs are bad for your posture."
    Me : "Uh...ok. Why?"
    Dad : "If I catch you doing drugs, I'll break every bone in your body."
    Me " "Ok...got it."

fencer likes this.
  28. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

My father's advice was "they have jails in the military also. "

blindfire likes this.
  29. slap shot

slap shot NES Member

Driver is lucky is was a special retired cop, could've save his life. BLAM BLAM BLAM!!!

30. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Unless things have changed lately at the police academy, there is no training for working details. It's all OJT and not easy to do it right and avoid getting hit.

Typically when cops retire, they stay on as Special Police Officers to work details to pick up extra money.

I can't agree more with you. We (police association) visited a couple of the newest jails in Mass prior to their "opening" for guests. The cells leave a lot to be desired. When I worked the Boston Marathon in Hopkinton they bring in so many officers from everywhere that they told us to use the toilets in the cells. Nobody locked us in, but I can tell you that it was a most uncomfortable feeling to be in those cells.

AMEN Brother! My beef as well.