• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dartmouth College student not allowed to protect herself from stalker

"School discipline" means being on the hook for the $65k+ that Dartmouth charges per year, even after being expelled. And good luck getting into any equivalent school, or even a second tier state university, after being kicked out of the Ivy League over a weapons charge.

Paying back that student loan while you can't even go to school has got to be a bitter pill...

If you use it to defend your life?

People need to recognize universities for the dinosaurs they are and refuse to pay any attention to them, let alone pay money to go to most of them and their tyrannical rules. Easier said than done of course. When I was applying to colleges, gun rights wasn't even a thought in my mind. But we have to start somewhere. If I ever succeed in procreating, my offspring will be fully informed non compliant good little anarchists.

People need to recognize universities for the dinosaurs they are and refuse to pay any attention to them, let alone pay money to go to most of them and their tyrannical rules. Easier said than done of course. When I was applying to colleges, gun rights wasn't even a thought in my mind. But we have to start somewhere. If I ever succeed in procreating, my offspring will be fully informed non compliant good little anarchists.

Try walking into an investment banking house, or top tier law firm and say "I graduate in a month and am interested. If we're not talking about $160K+ to start, plus a decent chance of making partner and $500k/year by the time I'm 30, let's not waste each other's time" if you don't have a dinosauric degree from the right ivy.

So, if I was accepted at Tuck, lets say, and my wife and I moved to Hanover. I wouldn't be allowed to have guns per their rules, but what about my wife? I really wonder here, because at that point they are limiting the right of someone who isn't bound contractually to their rules....
The could bind you contractually to live in a gun free house - sort of like a MA parolee.

As a practical matter, colleges get away with a LOT. Just try enforcing traditional landlord/tenant law against a school by, for example, not vacating the dorms during vacation time and telling the school "you cannot change the locks or evict me without a court order as I am a tenant protected by landlord/tenant law". You'll get "that doesn't apply" (with no cite), and the locks will be changed. Now, just imagine a private landlord saying "The landlords tribunal has determined you a danger to other tenants, you are to vacate immediately" - that would never fly, but schools do it to their "tenants" all the time.

Last edited:
Try walking into an investment banking house, or top tier law firm and say "I graduate in a month and am interested. If we're not talking about $160K+ to start, plus a decent chance of making partner and $500k/year by the time I'm 30, let's not waste each other's time" if you don't have a dinosauric degree from the right ivy.

Right but that all needs to change too. It won't be overnight but the change is in progress now.

Right but that all needs to change too. It won't be overnight but the change is in progress now.

Khan (Of Khan Academy) (I think) wrote a nice paper on "education" vs. "credentialing" - the idea is the system needs a way to "prove what you know" (the equivalent of degrees awarded after you prove a certain amount of knowledge/skill), but the individual should be free to obtain that knowledge any way he wishes.

Currently, even licensed systems that require credentialing (think the bar exam) will not allow any student to sit for the exam who has not been educated in the traditional manner. It's a cartel with its own rules. For example, there is NOTHING in law or MBA school a top notch high school grad can't handle - but the cartel requires the student to purchase a four year degree first.

True, but I am a realist about the speed, and my kid understands how the world works ... which is why she starts at Harvard this fall. Actually, it's just so I can shut up my buddy who is always bragging about his kid who went to MIT.

The bursting of the student loan bubble is going to give a good boost to the speed of how education changes.

[grin]
The super elite tier schools won't have that problem since there will still be a good ROI. What will hit the fan is loans to pay for schools with a Harvard price but a generic reputation.

Khan (Of Khan Academy) (I think) wrote a nice paper on "education" vs. "credentialing" - the idea is the system needs a way to "prove what you know" (the equivalent of degrees awarded after you prove a certain amount of knowledge/skill), but the individual should be free to obtain that knowledge any way he wishes.

Currently, even licensed systems that require credentialing (think the bar exam) will not allow any student to sit for the exam who has not been educated in the traditional manner. It's a cartel with its own rules. For example, there is NOTHING in law or MBA school a top notch high school grad can't handle - but the cartel requires the student to purchase a four year degree first.

True, but I am a realist about the speed, and my kid understands how the world works ... which is why she starts at Harvard this fall. Actually, it's just so I can shut up my buddy who is always bragging about his kid who went to MIT.

Regarding education vs. credentialing......having been a Special Educator, I have had some interesting experiences with the intersection of knowing stuff about a topic and being able to teach it. It even goes so far as I have watched friends struggle to pass the teaching credential exams, and taken up to 5 tries just to get a 70% (the passing minimum). Now, that test, in my opinion, in no way reflects ability to teach, but at the same time, the shit is rather elementary if you have ANY knowledge of your future field that is is downright embarrassing to not pass that crap the first try (for the record, I scored perfect scores on two out of the three I had to take, so I can say that LOL)

The bursting of the student loan bubble is going to give a good boost to the speed of how education changes.

[grin]

and while people hope that that happens in their lifetime, others will be out making really good money, while those who hope continue to be stuck. Sometimes, a game has to be played (to a certain degree only, of course)

Why is this even a story?

She's complaining about the school not letting her carry when she can't legally carry anyways as she's not yet 21 years old.

If she has a handgun she should STFU and carry. Judged by 12 or carried by 6, it's her call.
In NH she can be granted a waiver for her age.

The current education scam is "online courses". Legit colleges are offering these, and they are often of the same quality as traditional classroom courses. BUT, the colleges are not discounting the price to reflect the more cost effective method of delivery.

These courses share a few characteristics -

- Same cost per credit hour as on-campus classes
- No use of "overhead" of the college (library, student center, campus maintenance/police, etc.)
- Taught by underpaid and no-benefits adjuncts

So, if I was accepted at Tuck, lets say, and my wife and I moved to Hanover. I wouldn't be allowed to have guns per their rules, but what about my wife? I really wonder here, because at that point they are limiting the right of someone who isn't bound contractually to their rules....

It's a non issue. I went there. Many friends shot, hunted, etc. Owned & rented in Hanover , etc. No one bothers people at Tuck. I knew a few girls who even kept scary handguns in their college-owned apartments. As someone else said, STFU and take care of yourself. Concealed means concealed.

sounds rough for her, but a transfer to a VT school, or another state would solve it pretty quickly.
NH concealed carry permit IS 21 years old, but maybe she could get an exemption at 18 and NOT tell the school. Certainly a big can of pepper spray and hidden knives would be in order the minute this nut job is out of prison. maybe one of those hand held tazer shockers. Maybe she moves off campus where the school can not stop her from carrying, and only leave the gun when she is on-campus proper.

sounds rough for her, but a transfer to a VT school, or another state would solve it pretty quickly.
NH concealed carry permit IS 21 years old, but maybe she could get an exemption at 18 and NOT tell the school. Certainly a big can of pepper spray and hidden knives would be in order the minute this nut job is out of prison. maybe one of those hand held tazer shockers. Maybe she moves off campus where the school can not stop her from carrying, and only leave the gun when she is on-campus proper.

I kinda wonder if the Hanover PD is buddy-buddy with the school and might wink-wink nudge-nudge let them know a student just got a P&R license.

I kinda wonder if the Hanover PD is buddy-buddy with the school and might wink-wink nudge-nudge let them know a student just got a P&R license.

Is that protected info (LE use only) in NH like it is in MA and a handful of other states?

I thought that NH didn't have a minimum age for their license, a remember lots of noise when a 14 yo applied. Did they change their law to add a minimum? If so, I doubt that it is 21, more likely 16 or 18 (I haven't looked at the RSA) but would appreciate a knowledgeable answer from someone in NH?

What waiver are you talking about?

There isn't formally a waiver but I know there is a wallhack to getting an NH P/R license if you're under 21. I can't find the guy's post right now but there was a kid here who posted something about how he worked the system over to get an NH P/R license.

-Mike

“On one hand, I understand her fears, but I don’t believe that any student should have a gun. Data shows that those who own a gun for protection, that they [the guns] are more likely to be used on themselves or a loved one."

Do they just parrot that bullshit, or does that data really exist somewhere? Like even if it's biased data that they just use to further their agenda, where the hell is it?

The data exists...somewhat, it's just significantly manipulated to make their point. It includes things like people who shoot a violent former partner who violated the restraining order. In some cases, it's even included people who were victimized in their own home by a bad guy who brought his own gun. The number that really inflates their claim though is suicides. If someone who is suicidal owns a gun, they're much more likely to use the gun to commit suicide than someone who doesn't have a gun (the person without a gun typically finds some other way to commit suicide). Since suicides make up more than 2/3 of gun related deaths, this really pads their statistics.

In most cases, they also only count a gun being used in self defense if the bad guy was shot. Scaring the BG off or holding them at gunpoint until the police arrive does not count as a defensive use. Since according to FBI statistics, a shot is fired in less than 2% of defensive uses, this significantly underestimates the number of defensive uses.

The data exists...somewhat, it's just significantly manipulated to make their point. It includes things like people who shoot a violent former partner who violated the restraining order. In some cases, it's even included people who were victimized in their own home by a bad guy who brought his own gun. The number that really inflates their claim though is suicides. If someone who is suicidal owns a gun, they're much more likely to use the gun to commit suicide than someone who doesn't have a gun (the person without a gun typically finds some other way to commit suicide). Since suicides make up more than 2/3 of gun related deaths, this really pads their statistics.

In most cases, they also only count a gun being used in self defense if the bad guy was shot. Scaring the BG off or holding them at gunpoint until the police arrive does not count as a defensive use. Since according to FBI statistics, a shot is fired in less than 2% of defensive uses, this significantly underestimates the number of defensive uses.

Exactly. If you remove suicides and shootings in the act of committing a felony, there is no statistical differences as far a being more likely to be shot with your own gun. Most of the data is suicides and drug deals gone bad.

Relative to suicides - I don't think that people commit suicide b/c they have a gun, they do it b/c they want to die. If they didn't have a gun, they would use a kitchen knife or jump off the Tobin. Japan has far less guns and gun owners, but their suicide rate is about the same as ours in the US.

The current education scam is "online courses". Legit colleges are offering these, and they are often of the same quality as traditional classroom courses. BUT, the colleges are not discounting the price to reflect the more cost effective method of delivery.

- No use of "overhead" of the college (library, student center, campus maintenance/police, etc.)

I beg to differ on the price part.

When going for the CPA license, I had to get a bunch of accounting classes to meet the licensing requirements. I took some on a Boston campus, but also a bunch from LSU at http://is.lsu.edu/

403 USD per 3 credit undergraduate course - darn good deal, and as opposed to many online courses, LSU required all exams to be proctored by a faculty member at a local college, basically offering the same guarantee that the grades were legit that an on campus course did.

Ive thane plenty of online classes, and while there is great benefit to them, I don't see them as the same quality as in person classes when you factor in how someone learns best.

Ive thane plenty of online classes, and while there is great benefit to them, I don't see them as the same quality as in person classes when you factor in how someone learns best.

Depends on the person who takes the class. No class format is best for everybody - some people will do best in online classes, some in other formats. Know thyself, etc.

Dartmouth controls you, even when off campus.

Dartmouth controls you, even when off campus.

Unless/Until she wants to take them to court over it, somehow. I imagine it'd be pretty difficult though, people selling a "service" are pretty much allowed to refuse service/product to anyone, unless its some kind of race/gender/protected class discrimination.

There's gotta be a way though. Problem is it's generally cheaper for her to "shop elsewhere" than it is to fight some retardo machine.

-Mike

Unless/Until she wants to take them to court over it, somehow. I imagine it'd be pretty difficult though, people selling a "service" are pretty much allowed to refuse service/product to anyone, unless its some kind of race/gender/protected class discrimination.

There's gotta be a way though. Problem is it's generally cheaper for her to "shop elsewhere" than it is to fight some retardo machine.

-Mike

agreed

Back
Top Bottom