• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

dark bore K98

mac1911

NES Member
So I have a RC 1944 K98 mixed bag rifle. I bought this rifle for a ok price knowing the bore was very dark and crusty. It cleaned up ok and with a liitle help I was able to get this rifle from minute of back stop to holding the black of a NRA SR1 high power target.
The trigger is pretty darn good on this one. has a consistent 5lb total pull. the first stage is a bit "clinky" but breaks nice.

I have been shooting cast loads through this rifle for aprox 2 years now. with 200 rounds down the pipe since I started shooting cast I was happy to see theres not a lot of leading considering the pitting. especially the last inch or so of the barrel. The fact this barrel shoots at all is a showing that the bore does not need to be prestine to shoot well enough... I plan on shooting a cmp 200 yard match with my cast loads this summer and I am planning on shooting into the mid 400s if I can keep my off hand in check.

the crusty bore

the dark bore k98
shes not pretty and the muzzle end is quite pitted and worn vs the rest of the bore. leads me to think that this rifle was stored poorly and the elements got at the first inch of the bore
https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...-hope-for-a-dark-bore-K98?highlight=dark+bore

Last edited by a moderator:
The crown looks good I had my 1st 303 Brit had a the worst bore I ever seen it would cut the patches when cleaning it it shot very good. I got it at a gun show packed in greese so I didn't check the bore I would never payed for a gun with out seeing the bore.

The crown looks good I had my 1st 303 Brit had a the worst bore I ever seen it would cut the patches when cleaning it it shot very good. I got it at a gun show packed in greese so I didn't check the bore I would never payed for a gun with out seeing the bore.

Yeah it's tough to tell I can show you bores that look good to the eye looking down the bore.
This rifle was cheap enough and I was planning a barrel anyway. I ended up just cleaning it and electrolysis on the bore and it shoots well enough to leave alone. I recrowned the rifle long before starting to shoot cast and that helped cut my groups in half.
I think if you stuck a good bore scope down most of your rifles you might not like what you see.
My 513t viewed with a professional 90' bore scope shows some nasty stuff. Although on a good day I can still shoot MOA with it.

That bore scope you refer to as 'cheap' actually works pretty well.

Have you tried any type of bore polishing paste? Won't make the pits go away of course, but it might smooth over any sharper edges of the pits. Dad's old Hawken became pitted. It was very difficult to clean and would shred patches. After copious amounts of diamond paste polishing (free sample from work), it doesn't look much better but will smoothly pass a patch and accuracy improved.

edit-

Let me know when you plan to bring the Mauser to a CMP shoot. I'll try to make it and bring my Finn Mosin.

Last edited:
That bore scope you refer to as 'cheap' actually works pretty well.

Have you tried any type of bore polishing paste? Won't make the pits go away of course, but it might smooth over any sharper edges of the pits. Dad's old Hawken became pitted. It was very difficult to clean and would shred patches. After copious amounts of diamond paste polishing (free sample from work), it doesn't look much better but will smoothly pass a patch and accuracy improved.

edit-

Let me know when you plan to bring the Mauser to a CMP shoot. I'll try to make it and bring my Finn Mosin.

I completely flushed this bore when I first got it.
Hot soapy water, scrubbed with solvents sweets 762....which produced some nasty dark blue sludge.
Then I bore brushed the bejeez out of it. I then electrolysis cleaned the bore finally ending with bore bright.... I have considered tubbs final finish also.
I will be bringing it to one of the vintage matches for sure.
I have also thought about imbeding some fine compound onto some of the cast bullets.

The scope was cheap 14$ shipped and it almost fits in the .22 bore...I think if I carefully sand the outer case I can get it to fit..

Last edited:
That's some work to get it clean. Was curious if you did anything to knock down the roughness. Clean is one thing, smoother (at leas a little) is another. That J-B Bore Bright no doubt smoothed things up, if only a little.

That's some work to get it clean. Was curious if you did anything to knock down the roughness. Clean is one thing, smoother (at leas a little) is another. That J-B Bore Bright no doubt smoothed things up, if only a little.

It's "smooth" patch goes through like butter.

When I bought this the bore was black.

little up date... on the right track

I test my loads with sling and forarm supported with sandbag. I use bench for quick test and prone when i have the time. Which is not very often.
Today was a good start to finding a good cast load for 200 yard matches. Rear sight is set at 400 meters

Looks good. You need a bent bolt. I know where you can get a Norge/German for $125

T
I like the straight bolt. Works well shooting lefty.
If I could get a nice bent bolt for really short money I would...maybe.
I bought this rifle for short money a while back. I think if I where to spend any more money on a K98 I might buy another rifle.

Last edited:
All you would REALLY need is only a bolt body. Straight bolts are good for leftys, but a turned down bolt offers more torque if things get hung up. Wish the 91/30 did, with its sticky bolt.

t

All you would REALLY need is only a bolt body. Straight bolts are good for leftys, but a turned down bolt offers more torque if things get hung up. Wish the 91/30 did, with its sticky bolt.

t

M39 not as sticky as my M44, but not smooth as glass like my '03. With a longer, turn down bolt the M39 would be pretty awesome. I've lost some mobility in my right shoulder post surgery, so that makes the short stubby straight bolt more of a pain.

Probably the smoothest actions I've handled are a Swedish Mauser and a Krag-Jorgensen.

t

you can really slick up the actions with very little effort. I do agree the Swedish mausers are very nice. I tried getting one out of SamcoGlobal before they fell apart. I missed the Swedish mauser sniper they had for like 750$. The sedish mauser where the last nice rifle I think they had.

The best tip I ever got for my mosin "sticking" problem was "clean it again" tons of "stuff" finds it way into the chamber and locking lug area. you really need to get all the "stuff" be it old greas and oil, cosmoline, rust and so forth out of there. I can almost assure you if you think you got the locking lugs clean in the receiver area I will say what my dad used to say. "do you need me to show how not clean your rifle is"
I dug crud out of my locking lugs for what seemed like forever....then one day I was able to use a plastic hook and I snagged what could only be described as hardened pig fat and horse hair.
It was a nasty little booger! Instantly any sticking vanished.

Last edited:
mac1911, I am very impressed with your eyesight!!! I wish I could focus with that distance. My problem is when I wear prescription glasses, I can align the sights but downrange is out of focus. Just call me "Dobbs" from F-Troop. [rofl]

mac1911, I am very impressed with your eyesight!!! I wish I could focus with that distance. My problem is when I wear prescription glasses, I can align the sights but downrange is out of focus. Just call me "Dobbs" from F-Troop. [rofl]

Yes that is correct. This is why I have a shooting Rx lens. Basically you need to balance your Rx to give you the added Rx to help see the front sight and still be down range.
A eye Dr. That understands your shooting needs is a must. I went to Dr. Ginsberg of Natick eye associate's.....best thing I ever did.
He can book you up with the proper Rx that will best help your shooting.

A loose break down of my eyes. My eyes get tired quickly with out my Rx.
I can see ok for about 10 rounds then it goes to crap.
I don't need a powerfull correction. My daily reading and close up is +1.5
For 100 yards a +.75 works well. I can see down range good and with out any sea sick or headache feeling that I get with the 1,5.
+.5 gives me the best over all except I can't see stuff like the numbers on the sights.
I use a +.25 insert on my rear sight hood on my AR for 600 yards. It helps enough to maintain front sight focus and still see down range.

I don't need a powerfull correction. My daily reading and close up is +1.5
For 100 yards a +.75 works well. I can see down range good and with out any sea sick or headache feeling that I get with the 1,5.
+.5 gives me the best over all except I can't see stuff like the numbers on the sights.
I use a +.25 insert on my rear sight hood on my AR for 600 yards. It helps enough to maintain front sight focus and still see down range.
That sure beats my -9.75 in my left eye and -8.50 in my right eye...plus astigmatism.

That sure beats my -9.75 in my left eye and -8.50 in my right eye...plus astigmatism.

I dont know what the numbers mean. A Eye Dr. who understands the needs of shooters is your best bet if your Daily Rx does not work for you.

I dont know what the numbers mean. A Eye Dr. who understands the needs of shooters is your best bet if your Daily Rx does not work for you.
The higher the number, the greater the amount of correction. Supposedly 85% of people are 7.00-7.50 or lower, so I am almost 25% over that.

Mr. Magoo!

I'm -4.00, -.50, 5/+1.75 and -2.50, -1.50, 180/+1.75. Nearsighted, astigmatism, and cross-eyed (corrective prisms).

t

adjusting the front sight

Had a little time this morning after cleaning the pool so I decided to adjust my front sight on the K98 to be more useable for my cast loads.
with the 175 grain bullet and the 16 grains of 2400 it hits about 2" right giving me groups in the inner 8 and out 9 ring area.

The K98 has roughly a 19.75" sight radius I need 2"+ correction. The K98 correction for 1" at 100 yards is about .005" so by rights I need to push that front sight to the right .010-.012" to the right.
This tool with one full turn will move .03" or so so im going with a 1/2 turn which is a bit more than I think I need but at worst I will just be left of center and well with in the black.... [thinking]

as always everything is just rough calculations to get to close and or goodenuff.

Back
Top Bottom