Danvers Fish & Game

Hey folks- I'd like to join Danvers F&G. I have one sponsor and need another. Fred mentioned that I'd know other members there from town. If there are any members from Marblehead, can you please sing out? Thanks!

Fred Knowles from Hansen Marine.
Woody- what are the restrictions? I'm interested in any input.

-can't load more than 5 rounds at a time
-cannot use range without a range officer present.
-limited range times, due to RO requirement
-cannot fire from any position other than range designated
-cannot rapid fire/use bump stock, etc.

those are off the top of my head, there are more..

like Palladin said . personally I haven't shot there in many years , so I only know what i've been told .

less than 10 mins up the road is ASC in Harold Parker State Forest . 9 am til sunset out doors and 24/7 indoors . no RO present necessary . you do need to check the calendar regarding range closures for certain things but otherwise ..

used to be 10 rds , then went to 5 rds , now it's back to ten rds loaded .

no sponsors needed to join , but with summer coming and crowded membership rolls you probably won't be able to get in til sept . check the www http://andoversportsmensclub.org/

i live on w shore dr and it takes me @ 30-35 mins to get there .

please feel free to pm me :)

Nice facility.
The range Nazi is strong there though.
A friend is a life member and he tells me it gets rough at times.

One note, Danvers doesn't have a five round maximum. Maybe in the past but not now.

Can be FUDDY but I haven't had a problem with them

DO NOT DO IT!!! New crop of range officers are dickheads. I couldn't take anymore and left after 15 plus years. Also Hours suck. Attitude sucks. Go up the road 10 minutes and join Andover. The way a club should be.

DO NOT DO IT!!! New crop of range officers are dickheads. I couldn't take anymore and left after 15 plus years. Also Hours suck. Attitude sucks. Go up the road 10 minutes and join Andover. The way a club should be.

If the ROs are dickheads, maybe it was you that did something wrong. There was one bad RO there that would get upset over a member not following safety guidelines that should be used at any range. However, I'm more than certain he has been told to tone his demeanor down.

I got called out by a mod, no less, on another thread over a year ago because we did not see eye to eye with safety issues on a gun range that required an RO. However, there have been numerous threads about the lack of safety written by NES members that belong to other clubs that do not have an RO, so it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. In addition, IIRC, that same mod complained about people shooting and hitting the ceiling or overhead barrier (I forget which).

The different range committees at DFG exist in an atmosphere of antagonistic behavior with each other. There is a culture of cliques and an unhealthy amount of political infighting and petty BS. As soon as your face is recognized by the "in crowd" you will get dragged in to the drama.

I live in Marblehead too. It's worth another half hour of drive time to go east , to Harvard.

If the ROs are dickheads, maybe it was you that did something wrong. There was one bad RO there that would get upset over a member not following safety guidelines that should be used at any range. However, I'm more than certain he has been told to tone his demeanor down.

I got called out by a mod, no less, on another thread over a year ago because we did not see eye to eye with safety issues on a gun range that required an RO. However, there have been numerous threads about the lack of safety written by NES members that belong to other clubs that do not have an RO, so it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. In addition, IIRC, that same mod complained about people shooting and hitting the ceiling or overhead barrier (I forget which).

Judging by the response I've gotten by other long time members that have also left DfG, and there has been many. I can assure you it's not me or them. The facility is great, those running it suck. ive been at Andover for 2 years now and it's been nothing but a pleasure. No dickhead range officers ,we are all ROs at Andover, you know adults treating other adults like adults, Somehow no problems. And I've never gone to Andover after loading up my gear only to find I can't shoot because some RO didn't show up like happens at DFG often. Oh and when your packing your stuff up at 3pm because the outdoor range is closing we at Andover still have 4 hours to go. And if I want to shoot indoor pistol at 7pm or 10 pm I can. Can you? Do yourself a favor and join Andover, you can thank me later.

Last edited:

No, trust me , some of them are just dickheads.
I've heard it often enough from more than a few people.

We have had them at our club too.
They don't last long., or get tired of getting told to GFYS when they get too out of hand.
We had one miserable little dick that was making it so people didn't even want to go down there anymore.
He was giving people a hard time before they even got their gear out of the car.

Back
Top Bottom