• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Danvers Fish & Game, I have a few questions if someone can answer them.

A friend of mine and I are both looking to join a club. We are both located on the North Shore. He is just getting into shooting this year. I have been shooting a while for recreation but I have never joined a club. Pretty much the 2 clubs we looked at are Mass Rifle and Danvers F&G. One of the things I liked about Danvers is they show a steel plate range.

What are the hours on the steel plate range. The website may be out of date but i thought it said Wednesday Nights and only a few hours Sat & Sun?

What are the hours and caliber limitations on the indoor range?

From what I can see, the ranges are only open when an RSO is present. How often is an RSO present? I know a lot of clubs have quite a few RSO's so generally someone is always there but has it ever happened someone has wanted to use a certain range and couldn't because an RSO was not there?

Wednesday and Saturday at the steel range are slow Sundays are busy but still fun because it's a great group of guys . The indoor range is a crap shoot and probably won't be done this year

I'm thinking about those 3 also. Woburn seems the biggest and nicest facilities. Danvers is really close to home, but Weds night and Sat/sun mornings are not good for me, so I wouldn't be able to use the steel targets. I'm leaning Woburn.

I haven't joined any clubs yet. I re-looked at DF&G, MRA, Cape Ann, and just looked at WSA since someone posted it above. I also went to Ipswich this past weekend. The problem I'm having is finding something I like all around. I like a little bit of each club. Cape Ann actually seemed like one of the best fits aside from it being lead ammo indoor only. If they redid the range and allowed jacketed ammo indoors it seemed like it offered a lot. I found DF&G's hours come off restrictive for after work shooters. I also spoke with a friend of mine, who has since moved, but used to be a DF&G member. He told me yeah the after work hours can be tough but weekends are good. He shot mostly rifle on the weekends so it didn't bother him much.

I've belonged to DF&G for 15 years. It has a lot of ranges/options but you need to make sure the hours work for you. Other than weekends, it's convenient for those on a retiree schedule. Personally I think it's gone downhill quite a bit the last few years with fewer people showing up at ranges. The indoor range, due to problems with the contractor bailing, is a cluster****. It'll be nice if it ever gets done.
As mentioned earlier, check out Andover Sportsman club and there's also Hamilton Wenham Rod and Gun http://www.hwrg.org/

I've belonged to DF&G for 15 years. It has a lot of ranges/options but you need to make sure the hours work for you. Other than weekends, it's convenient for those on a retiree schedule. Personally I think it's gone downhill quite a bit the last few years with fewer people showing up at ranges. The indoor range, due to problems with the contractor bailing, is a cluster****. It'll be nice if it ever gets done.
As mentioned earlier, check out Andover Sportsman club and there's also Hamilton Wenham Rod and Gun http://www.hwrg.org/

Thanks for the insight. I talked to a friend who was a former member there and decided not long after this thread that it wasn't the club for me. It kinda sucks but the hours just don't work for me. Like others said it's great for the retired guys during the week.

I went to Danvers with a couple friends who are members on a weekday. Probably just the time of day I was there but it was like a retirement community. I'm hoping I can hear more about it since it's by far the closest club to my town.

I just joined at Danvers. I have shot twice both weekday mornings. It wasn't too busy and everyone that was there were very friendly. Same RO both times and he was a really nice guy. Good experience.

I was at the outdoor range with my son today (he's 12). It's open until 4Pm on both days. Maybe about 4 people shooting there at noon.

Here are the hours:Monday through Friday 9 AM to 3:30 PM

Saturday and Sunday 9 AM to 4 PM

Wednesday evenings 6:30 PM to 9 PM

If enough people join the club and demand hours that fit the non-retiree, then change will be had.
Until then....

Break out the rocking chairs and go shoot on a "sick day".

Back
Top Bottom