• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Danvers Fish & Game Club

Years and years ago, I used to shoot in their indoor winter archery tournament/league. Wonderful facility for that.

Shot the 1980 MFA Championship round (outside) there.

Mass State Bowhunter Champion. (me)

But, that was a long time ago........

DFG Sponsorship

Hi All, I had a chance to drop by the DFG last weekend and really liked the place. Facilities are very nice both indoor and out. Spoke to a few of the members and they all seemed great. I also had a chance to do a little shooting in their indoor range (BTW, they are in the process of determining if they renovate or replace) and it was extremely nice.

I'm looking to become a member at DFG and trying to hook up with members for sponsorship (2 needed). If anyone's gone through the process there and knows how to connect with members and get sponsorship, I'd really appreciate a few pointers (or better yet, sponsors ;->)

DFG was a great club at one point in time. I learned how to shoot here at age five with my father. I have many great memories of the time I spent here growing up. After 8 years of military service and two deployments, I returned to DFG only to find a completely different atmosphere. About 14 years ago, a pin/ plate range was constructed and it was the best addition to the club in a long time. I began shooting here again about 2-3 times a week with fellow veterans and recreational shooters after I returned home. We are a new breed of shooter that doesn't want to just hit static metal plates with a Ruger MKIII for 30 minutes and call it a day. We practice defensive/ combat shooting and a bit of target practice, nothing unsafe. Slowly, you could see the look of disdain by fellow members. Many older club members cannot wrap their minds around the concept of carrying a firearms for self defense. Former military shooters know all too well why we should practice with our daily carry weapons in preparation of a dynamic critical incident. As time went by, leadership from the club stopped by a few times to check us out and poke their nose up everyone's ass. This came to a head when the club president and his 90 year old loudmouth on a leash stopped by to inform us that the pin range was now closed due to unspecified safety issues. No reasons were given and no questions were answered. After being talked down to like a dog, I realized that this club was not for me or any type of shooter that doesn't want to be part of middle school drama. Thank you for alienating so many shooters, veterans, and gun enthusiasts. If you want to be treated like an adult and not be persecuted for the style of shooting you prefer, put DFG in your rearview and head to Pelham Fish & Game. Thanks for the memories, DFG.

Thanks for the feedback. So... I'm looking for a club that is reasonably close to my home in Danvers (don't want to have to drive an hour to the club). Several have recommended Andover and I will check that out this weekend. Any other suggestions? I did notice the Fudd Factor at Danvers. I got a hard time for wearing a belt holster... "what are you gonna do with that?" aaahhhhh, put my gun in there when I'm done shooting vs. leaving it on the bench???? I think they were afraid that I was going to do some quick draw McGraw or something. So to get some balanced feedback.... any members of DFG let's say under 50 that have positive feedback for the club? I'm really open to suggestions, again, just looking for a place to practice without hassles.

First off, I'm over 50, but don't make the mistake of classifying me as a FUDD.
My father and I belonged to DFG in the late 60's/early 70's.....and believe me it was no different then! We were both into the 'new' PPC action shooting and DFG would have no part of it! Couldn't use the range without a range officer present working the safety line....we were using revolvers on draw and fire and were crucified for it! Also for loading the gun with six rounds instead of five! Five rounds in the M1 carbine too! Ridiculous.

I will say they had a great organized youth hunt program, where I bagged my first pheasant, but try to shoot anything other than a High Standard .22, a SW model 10, or and over/under and you brought out the range Nazis in a hurry.

We switched to Woburn for a number of years, turning targets, running deer...huge improvement....but they got very restrictive also..

Pelham is my club of choice now, 3.5mi from the door, nobody bothers you..

Thanks to the generosity of a forum member / member of the Andover club, for taking time this Sunday to show me around, I have submitted my membership application to the Andover Sportsmen's Club. Nothing beats being able to come and go as you please, make your own hours, a club kept in "excellent repair", and not having to have someone breathing down your neck. ASC is about the same distance from my home as DFG. ASC has about 1/3 the membership as DFG which I think is a good thing. Adios DFG, it was a displeasure.

Last edited:
I just joined it (my best friend belongs). I know its a FUDD club but I hear there is an "approved target list". The only info I can get is "buy the clubs targets" which makes no sense. Does any former member know what they are talking about (approved targets)? I'd rather not have to listen to granps bitch about a zombie target.

Last edited:
Looks like DFG has a inside man here on NES. [rofl]

Everything that I said was 100% true, I dont know why it would of been removed. What I said was not in violation of the forum rules I'm familiar with.

I heard the VP had his panties in a bunch...kind of unfortunate everything got deleted, nothing said was untrue, especially with their treatment of the VETS!

Damn , missed some fun.

I was a DFG range officer at both the plate range and the rifle range. The shutdown of the plate range , and the way the members were treated as this happened saw me walk away. Membership not renewed , hard feelings archived.

Good club if one is a sporting shotgunner or a 100 yard benchrest shooter.

How are they for kids? I've got boys 11 and 13 and it's high time I got them going to a range regularly. I don't mind the kids seeing strict safety practices, and having shot at a lot of public ranges in California I'm used to it. Youth rifle or archery leagues? Youth hunting programs? I live about 15min away so we would get ther more often than a less Fuddy club 45min away.

How are they for kids? I've got boys 11 and 13 and it's high time I got them going to a range regularly. I don't mind the kids seeing strict safety practices, and having shot at a lot of public ranges in California I'm used to it. Youth rifle or archery leagues? Youth hunting programs? I live about 15min away so we would get ther more often than a less Fuddy club 45min away.

Where are you? Reading may be a better bet.

I wouldn't subject my kids (if I had them) or anyone else to Danver's Fish and Game. If that was the only option I'd have them go fishing instead.

Screw to "ANY' club that requires "Range Officers" for members to use the range.
Our club requires range officers to use the range. All our members are required to attend a range rules orientation, and once they have done that, they are now range officers. [wink]

Based on my brief experience.... I'd skip it unless you want an episode of "scared straight" with your kids. The folks running the club will turn your kids off to guns faster than you can say Yosemite Sam. And, BTW.. read the rest of this thread... having safety policies and implementation of those policies are two separate things... DFG seems to be lacking a bit on the later.

I have been off this forum for several years and seem to be the one who started this topic. I am surprised by the bad feelings that some have posted due to their personal experiences. Not all feel the same way. Club now has 2600 paid and honorary members so something is being done right. As to the Pin & Plate range, I have heard that golf balls were being shot at on the ground and that the back wall of the plate enclosure was in serious disrepair. A sub-committee is formed to construct a new pin and plate range beside the outdoor range.

Having a RSO available gets emergency services to the injured party if there is an accident. People skills vary. Most RSOs are unpaid and have their neck stuck out should an accident occur.

When one sees something that needs improvement, get involved. If you are really p***ed, there is a process for submitting a grievance.

dd

Second comment. A good time to find someone to discuss membership at DF&GC is Sunday mornings or Monday & Wednesday nights (7 - 9 p.m.) at the Indoor Range.

dd

I have been off this forum for several years and seem to be the one who started this topic. I am surprised by the bad feelings that some have posted due to their personal experiences. Not all feel the same way. Club now has 2600 paid and honorary members so something is being done right. As to the Pin & Plate range, I have heard that golf balls were being shot at on the ground and that the back wall of the plate enclosure was in serious disrepair. A sub-committee is formed to construct a new pin and plate range beside the outdoor range.

Having a RSO available gets emergency services to the injured party if there is an accident. People skills vary. Most RSOs are unpaid and have their neck stuck out should an accident occur.

When one sees something that needs improvement, get involved. If you are really p***ed, there is a process for submitting a grievance.

dd

dd, unfortunately you missed my earlier post in this thread that has since been removed. There was a significant issue with a high ranking (and will now be unnamed unfortunately) member of the club, who continues on multiple occasions to simply put - act belligerent.

Danvers Fish and Game has awesome grounds. It has an amazing indoor range also.

The reason why Danvers numbers are so high are because they are really the only game in town on the Northshore. If Harvard was located in the Northshore I would assume that Danvers would not be nearly as popular as it is. Also, the people that shoot at Danvers, from my experience shooting there and working at a store across the street, is that Danvers members are mostly shotgun/rifle people.

The RSO's are laughable. The reason you give for the RSO's is also laughable. Danvers will give any reason possible to defend them. The RSO's I've seen at Danvers are the ones that sit in the club house talking to people, or reading the newspaper. I've shot at the outdoor about 10 times, and not once in those 10 times (lets say 20 hours total) did I ever see a RSO act as a range officer should.

What I have seen the RSO's do on 3 occasions is leave 3+ hours early for "doctors appointments" and having to close the range as a result.

Also, there are well known incidents of Danvers RSO's calling the range hot while people were down range.

If anything, the RSO's have proven to be a liability, as they have done dangerous things in the past.

Danvers is such a nice club, it really is. I would love to shoot there. But I can't, because I dont like being treated like I'm on a kindergarten field trip to the range. Also, airing your grievances to the "good ol' boys" as a 20 something year old members gets you stone walled immediately.

Sorry that you have had a bad experience. Also, have been without electricity or cable for over a week and am now getting caught up or I would have responded sooner. There are other clubs around: Georgetown; Reading; Andover; Woburn; Mystic Valley; Lynn F&G, etc. They, for the most part, do not have 80 acres, yet Reading has a 600 yard range while DF&GC has only a 100 yard max range.

There has been much work done to the pin and plate range (same location) and I understand that it will be reopened soon.

The alternative to personnel available to work as ROs or "custodians" is that of availability. Anyone who wants to be an RO merely has to contact the Range Committee Chairman and make themselves known and they will be integrated. I agree that there should be more RO training, but the issue has remained unresolved for some years, particularly vis-a-vis someone being an employee vs volunteer.

As usual, there are many sides to any given *story* and these are often hard to track down. Hope that you are having a good experience where ever you now shoot.

CapeAnn is just a short hop up the highway. I have been a townie all my life in Danvers. Problem you have is yes the FUDDS, larger problem is the LEO'S. Belonged with my dad back in the 70's tried again a short time ago.....they still have a stick up there butt's.[flame]

Last edited:
Club stresses safety so handgun/rifle ranges require a RO when open. Thus, not a key club.

The implication of this statement is that a club that does not require an RO when the ranges are open does not stress safety.

This is an inaccurate characterization of the many self-service clubs that place great emphasis on safety.

dd

You may want to share the comments with your board...smaller clubs in the area have larger membership with ranges that are not as well kept as Danvers...why is that you wonder...because they are treated better than Danvers has treated members or want to be members in the past.......anyway let the folks at Danvers know they have a real perception issue...justifyed or not it is out there....and sooner or later it will catch up to them.

Interesting, I finally just read some of the comments here. I have a serious question to you DD, so other members and guests aren't suitable/capable to call emergency services thus validating the RSO requirement to use the range?

I guess that just goes to show what Danver's thinks of its members. Why would someone want to be a part of that?

On the other hand, I just re-upped my membership tonight at Reading. Wonderful people, great range, no issues. I go use it when I want, clean up after myself, and I'm not bothered by anyone. I've been there on numerous occasions where I had to borrow a cleaning rod from someone, or they had to borrow one from me, etc., and never a single complaint.

Interesting, I finally just read some of the comments here. I have a serious question to you DD, so other members and guests aren't suitable/capable to call emergency services thus validating the RSO requirement to use the range?

I guess that just goes to show what Danver's thinks of its members. Why would someone want to be a part of that?

On the other hand, I just re-upped my membership tonight at Reading. Wonderful people, great range, no issues. I go use it when I want, clean up after myself, and I'm not bothered by anyone. I've been there on numerous occasions where I had to borrow a cleaning rod from someone, or they had to borrow one from me, etc., and never a single complaint.

Well, if you're stupid enough to actually stick around Danvers, then you're stupid enough to require supervision while shooting.

NEED SPONSOR

I have one sponsor for DFG and am looking for another. Anyone willing to meet me there at this month's meeting on 6/13?

I moved back to Mass a few years ago and between 2 moves, 2 kids, a tough job and an old house I just haven't had time for shooting. But what's really been killing me is not taking my kids shooting. It's time [grin].

I won't post "all about me" on the web, but PM me if you want more info about me or want to chat or meet for a beer.

And yes, I've done my research. I'm fine with Fuds and RSOs. DFG has the location and kids programs that match my needs.

And yes, I've done my research. I'm fine with Fuds and RSOs. DFG has the location and kids programs that match my needs.

Good for you, if the club works for you, join up. I know some guys that belong and they like it.
DFG is definitely not for me.

No club is right for everyone. I belong to MRA, some say it's a Fudd club, but it's perfect for all my needs.

Clubs are always a hot topic on NES. To me it's simple, if you don't like a club or it's rules, don't join.

Bump. Still need 1 more sponsor.

I have one sponsor for DFG and am looking for another. Anyone willing to meet me there at this month's meeting on 6/13?

I moved back to Mass a few years ago and between 2 moves, 2 kids, a tough job and an old house I just haven't had time for shooting. But what's really been killing me is not taking my kids shooting. It's time [grin].

I won't post "all about me" on the web, but PM me if you want more info about me or want to chat or meet for a beer.

Back
Top Bottom