• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Danvers Fish & Game Club

dd

Danvers is a sportsperson's club with archers, fisherpeople, as well as trap, skeet, highpower rifle and pistol, blackpowder, etc. 80 acres. Located in Middleton, along the Ipswich River, off Rt 114, a short distance from Rt 1/I95.

Indoor archery and pistol/.22 rifle. Can shoot lead and jacketed indoors, but no magnums due to noise/concussion. Ourdoor range has approx 70 shooting positions from 7 yards to 100 yards. Work presently being done on 100 yard berm.

Club stresses safety so handgun/rifle ranges require a RO when open. Thus, not a key club. Indoor Range - Monday night 7 - 9 is open shooting; Sunday night during the winter as well. All days 9 am to 3:30 pm there is a RO to have range open. Do not recall hours for other ranges. Sunday am and Monday night are most used times, but not crowded. The regulars will help anyone learn to shoot better. Other nights are: Tues is .22 rf pistol league. Wed/Thur firearms class for LTC. Friday is Junior Division smallbore rifle.

If any question, I can answer or get the answer.

I've always wanted to join but couldn't get past the range hours: 9-3. Considering when most people work, I can't imagine anyone but retirees go to this club. Weekends are likely crowded and during the summers, you lose a Saturday. Found it hard to understand how anyone with a job could join.

Request For More Information

I'd be interested in learning more about joining this club.

Is the membership open to new members? Does one have to be sponsored?
What is the approximate cost for the first year? (Initiation & Dues...etc)

Is there a internet link to this club so that I could learn more without having to clutter these forums? :)

-Rick

Laura said:
I've always wanted to join but couldn't get past the range hours: 9-3. Considering when most people work, I can't imagine anyone but retirees go to this club. Weekends are likely crowded and during the summers, you lose a Saturday. Found it hard to understand how anyone with a job could join.

Same here. It's a beautiful club, but i'd never be able to go.

Danvers F&G Club

DF&GC, which is actually in Middleton, off Rt 114 behind Northshore VoTech is a club with great facilities. They do not like to advertise, you know, keep a low profile, but .. I have been a member for 35+ years and use the place a lot. Archery (indoor and out); blackpowder/primitive area; indoor pistol 50 foot; pin and plate range; ourdoor range to 100 yards -- 50 position; double trap and skeet; trout pond; picnic area. Total 80 acres. Newly apptd deer checking station.

Ranges must have a RO on duty; ROs 9 - 3 7 days; Sunday and Monday evenings w/volunteer ROs.

Dues $125 yr plus first yr initiation of $150. Fiscal year 1 July to 30 June, but membership is open thru Thursday (Dec 14) when it will close until April (new members in April get 15 months on one dues pmt).

I am there Sunday mornings 9 - 11:30 and Monday nites 7 - 9 p.m.

dd

Me too. Every Sun Am. .... except today. Dammit. But I got in twice this week already.

Warmer weather has night shooting with outdoor rifle/pistol , trap/skeet & the steel plate range.

Monster BBQ's , too.

New Danvers F&G member

I just got my membership card today. The guys that sponsored me only shoot skeet and they dont know much about the indoor and outdoor ranges, so I didnt ask them for a tour. I'm more interested in pistol and rifle than skeet or trap right now. Any NES'ers interested in giving a new guy the $.25 tour sometime?

Thanks.

-slim

Well this may not be quite what you're looking for but since nobody else has responded:

I am not a member there but I live about 10 minutes down the road. If you are ever looking for somebody to go there a learn the area with, I can pretty much always be talked into a trip to the range. [smile]

Like you, I also am interested in mostly pistol/rifle stuff

I know the outdoor pistol range (plate racks) are opened on Wed. evenings. Usually around 6:15 or so when the RO gets there to unlock them. Sunday mornings too (not sure of the time but it is before noon). If you showed up I am sure there are people there who could answer questions about the club / show you around.

I know the outdoor pistol range (plate racks) are opened on Wed. evenings. Usually around 6:15 or so when the RO gets there to unlock them. Sunday mornings too (not sure of the time but it is before noon). If you showed up I am sure there are people there who could answer questions about the club / show you around.

Thanks for the info. I might take a run down tonight after 6:30.

Well this may not be quite what you're looking for but since nobody else has responded:

I am not a member there but I live about 10 minutes down the road. If you are ever looking for somebody to go there a learn the area with, I can pretty much always be talked into a trip to the range. [smile]

Like you, I also am interested in mostly pistol/rifle stuff

I got a couple of PMs, but thanks for the response. I think I might want to spend some time meeting the folks before I start bringing guest along. But I'll keep your offer in mind.

Today was my first time being a guest at this club other than taking my hunter/safety class there. It went as I expected after seeing how the hunter safety class went. I'm not sure words can describe my feelings for this club.

Actually, I feel the need to say something.

The RSO told me that he did not need safety glasses or hearing protection at the firing line because he's been there so long.

Totally awesome role model for the little kids learning to shoot their 10/22's at the beginning.

Danver's is a very nice club, I shot a Black Powder match there and a couple Cowboy Action matches there, when looking for a club that had what I wanted I decided Andover Sportsman's club was the one for me. Its right down the street from Danvers and the same distance from Beverly. That being said, I would still go to Danver's anytime invited, their polices about RSO's and shooting are in some respects difficult for people who want to unwind after a day of work and/or make it difficult to go shooting when no one else is there. But it also makes for a safe environment to shoot in not worrying about what others are always doing.

Squished: I can see the issue with the RSO, some people feel that because they are "senior" members rules don't apply...not a good role model.

But it also makes for a safe environment to shoot in not worrying about what others are always doing.

while a excellent idea in theory, the RSO's at danvers do nothing to prevent any sort of accident from happening.

proper firearm training and habits are what keep shooters safe, not a person in a room with windows sitting 75 yards away reading a newspaper.

while a excellent idea in theory, the RSO's at danvers do nothing to prevent any sort of accident from happening.

proper firearm training and habits are what keep shooters safe, not a person in a room with windows sitting 75 yards away reading a newspaper.

You missed him yelling "HELLO HELLO HELLO" through the microphone at the end.

Safety at this place ended after the first 5 minutes of the RSO standing behind me while I was shooting my AR with no hearing or eye protection.

My favorite was being told the barrel was too short on my AR. MA law requires a 16" or longer barrel. [rofl]

Last edited:

Thanks Dench, I havent been there truly enough to make a real judgment call yet lol. If they don't do anything then why have them I wonder? I've been to clubs, and am a member where you can shoot anytime from 9-sundown, and then inside without an RSO so maybe I'm just being naive thinking they help...

i wish i knew why they were there! beats me

It makes the board happy.
It's a good day when just one or two are just in there reading the paper. Normally there are 6-8 of them and they are all talking and forget to call the line for an hour and then make up for it with five 5 min shooting sessions. Better yet when they lose count of the number of horns because they are listening to the awesome dirty joke their buddy is telling for the 100th time and either leave us their waiting, stop the firing before it even starts or start the firing with people down range.

Danvers Fish & Game Club
Log Bridge Road
Middleton MA 01949
PO Box 3045
Peabody MA 01961-3045

(978) 774-9870

Facilities: 100y lighted outdoor range; indoor pistol with retractable targets; indoor & lighted outdoor archery; two trap; two skeet; fly-fishing trout pond; frontiersmen area; huge picnic grounds; large meeting hall.
Activities: Archery; muzzleloading; trap; skeet; high power; pistol; pin range; fly fishing.

Training: Hunter Safety, Sept. and Jan.; Firearms Familiarization third Wed & Thu each month; handloading course annually and upon request.

Membership: Dues - $125/year plus $150 initiation. Two member sponsors required to come to the club with the applicant to sign application card. Applicant must be licensable.

Meetings: Second Thursday each month.

Thanks for the contact info. I also want to join up at the DF&GC. I have a few questions though, possibly for any members who are also online here. I will not be able to make the meetings for at least the next 5 or 6 months due to night classes. Would that preclude me from being able to be a member? Secondly, to find 2 people to sponsor you do you advise calling Don Musial? Seems like contacting them directly would make needing 2 sponsors a bit silly...

Thanks!

Most of the RSO's are volunteers. They spend a great deal of time helping new guys learn even the most basic of things - like how to even operate their firearms.

There are occasional people who complain about their performance , they should step up and do it better themselves.

Or go elsewhere.

75% Fudds. Ridiculous rules.

It's too bad, the place is gorgeous.

They've recently made better hours.

But, the club is still a serious fudd club, with odd rules, clicky and lame old person groups and dangerously unqualified range RSO's in most cases.

The indoor is incredible, the nicest i've ever seen in MA, but you are limited to what pistol cals you can use due to "it being to loud in the clubhouse."

Back
Top Bottom