Dan Wesson CTG

What can anyone tell me about this revolver.
I have a chance to pick one up hopefully for around $400 or so.
I dont know what shape it is in as I have not seen it yet.
Are they a decent gun?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think what you have is a CTG not 6 and I believe its probably a Model 15 if so depending on condition $400 is on the high side, I see these now and again for $350 or less.. They are decent guns and well worth the price in my opinion although I never liked the full length slab of iron under the barrel....The slab is actually an integral part of the removable barrel system something else that I never really liked. All in all not a bad firearm just different, they made quite a few I think so somebody must like them...

Last edited:
I've owned a few DW's over the years, they were very good shooting and highly accurate.
Some more information and pics would be helpful.
Was it made in Monson or Palmer ???
The earlier Monson guns are of a higher quality and much more desirable.
These guns are essentially modular in design.
Barrels, grips and front sights are easily interchangeable with a special tool.
The barrels also come in several styles, such as vent ribbed/non-vent ribbed, and short/full length underlug.

I've owned a few DW's over the years, they were very good shooting and highly accurate.
Some more information and pics would be helpful.
Was it made in Monson or Palmer ???
The earlier Monson guns are of a higher quality and much more desirable.
These guns are essentially modular in design.
Barrels, grips and front sights are easily interchangeable with a special tool.
The barrels also come in several styles, such as vent ribbed/non-vent ribbed, and short/full length underlug.
I know little about it at this point. I have to go look at it maybe this weekend.
I know it is about 30 years old and has an 8" barrel. It is a friend of a friend.
Just trying to get a feel for if it was worth looking at.

I bought a DW CTG Monson MA (2,4,6 & 8") a few years ago. Frame was in very good shape with a slight wear ring on the cylinder and the 6" barrel had a deep scratch but the others were near perfect. Has a nice wooden finger grip. The whole set-up was about 400 IIRC.

I've only shot a few .38 spls thru it but it works well.

Chet, you didn't say what caliber it was.
DW made revolvers in .22, .38/.357, .357 MAX, .44Mag and .445 Supermag.
Sorry, .357

i think it only has the one barrel as well. Does not sound like it has a lot of value. he said the LGS offered him $300 for it.
We will see

I'm a Dan Wesson fan. I currently have a 15-2 with 4,6 and 8 inch barrels, VH and EH shrouds for the 4 inch and VH shrouds for the 6 and 8 inch.

They made up to 15" barrels along with non-underlugged shrouds.

With 4" Extra Heavy shroud.

Last edited:
Sorry, .357

i think it only has the one barrel as well. Does not sound like it has a lot of value. he said the LGS offered him $300 for it.
We will see

If the LGS offered him $300 for it, that's a lowball trade-in price, the dealer knows he can resell it for a nice profit.

If the LGS offered him $300 for it, that's a lowball trade-in price, the dealer knows he can resell it for a nice profit.

That is what I figured. He is looking for a carry piece. I am thinking of seeing if he will trade straight up for my Bodyguard if it is in decent condition.

Back
Top Bottom