Damm Owl is Killing my Chickens

How much noise does an air gun make?

Depends on the air rifle. Quick little snap for a breakbarrel Springer. My .25 cal breakbarrel uses an air piston instead of a spring. I wouldn't quite call it a pop. Little more than a snap but not even close to a crack..... if that makes sense.

Also for reference, it will blast through 3/4 plywood at 35 yards no problem so pretty powerful for a break barrel. Never did any scientific testing but I have read of some interesting stats on airgun hunting over on gatewaytoairguns forum hunting sub section.

Open a window.
.22 from inside the house has been offered as a suggestion for other pests where there might be neighbors around to hear a shot.

Would that be a constructive (constructed?) silencer? [laugh]

The gentleman makes a few comments that are wrong or partially wrong but shoots a .22 with subsonic ammo. You can hardly hear it.

It would be highly to illegal to actually DO this. I was simply curious if it would work. Looks like it would. I actually like owls and one lives not far away. But I don't chickens! Also I don't have pigeons.

I've read that owls, especially free range owls taste like chicken...

Charlene's Hoot Owl Pie recipe - from the Cookin' With The Osmons Family Cookbook

Ingredients:
1 28 oz. can of hominy, drained
1/2 lb. cooked hoot owl diced
1 10 1/2 oz. can of cream of mushroom soup
4 tbsp. milk
1/4 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp. butter
paprika

Directions:

Butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of hominy in bottom, then a layer of hoot owl. Continue layering until all hominy and hoot owl are used. In a sauce pan heat the soup, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over the casserole. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top, dot with butter, and dash with paprika. Bake in 375º oven for 30 minutes. Serves 6 Prep 20-30 min.

Charlene's Hoot Owl Pie recipe - from the Cookin' With The Osmons Family Cookbook

Ingredients:
1 28 oz. can of hominy, drained
1/2 lb. cooked hoot owl diced
1 10 1/2 oz. can of cream of mushroom soup
4 tbsp. milk
1/4 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1 tbsp. butter
paprika

Directions:

Butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of hominy in bottom, then a layer of hoot owl. Continue layering until all hominy and hoot owl are used. In a sauce pan heat the soup, milk, salt, and pepper. Pour over the casserole. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top, dot with butter, and dash with paprika. Bake in 375º oven for 30 minutes. Serves 6 Prep 20-30 min.

Just add some hot sauce and that's some good eatin' right there!

Try putting up a couple of Great Horned owl decoys in strategic spots. Once the owl sees these, he'll probobly not return.....
I like the great horned owl who lives on my property; s/he'll take down anything, including other owls.

.22 from inside the house
Would that be a constructive (constructed?) silencer? [laugh]
The NFA definition includes the word "portable" -- fixed non-portable "silencers" are 100% legal, e.g. the length of tubing with internal sound-absorbing material used at ranges and for function testing at the gunsmith.

I like the great horned owl who lives on my property; s/he'll take down anything, including other owls.

The NFA definition includes the word "portable" -- fixed non-portable "silencers" are 100% legal, e.g. the length of tubing with internal sound-absorbing material used at ranges and for function testing at the gunsmith.

I was just kidding, but that's actually good, positive info to keep in the back of my mind.

I was so pissed last night that I didn't want to kill that owl. I wanted to kill all of the owls!

Wasn't this a plot of Star Trek TSG??? I think it was the Hoosnock people. Exterminated all of them.

This^^^^^^^

Netting is cheap and the owl isn't going away until ALL the food runs out.

Yep. Owl will keep coming back.

THAT said, some of you are real toolbags. Hope the neighborhood owls decide to crap all over your cars from now until eternity ends.

:i
Wasn't this a plot of Star Trek TSG??? I think it was the Hoosnock people. Exterminated all of them.

Yep. Owl will keep coming back.

THAT said, some of you are real toolbags. Hope the neighborhood owls decide to crap all over your cars from now until eternity ends.
i like my eggs fresh, my chicken fried and the owls flying free.

I actually like owls and one lives not far away. But I don't chickens!
You don't what chickens?
A verb, senator; we need a verb.

The NFA definition includes the word "portable" -- fixed non-portable "silencers" are 100% legal
Buzz Killington.
I was gonna ask...oh hell, I'll ask it anyhow:

Open a window.
.22 from inside the house has been offered as a suggestion for other pests where there might be neighbors around to hear a shot.
You got a tax stamp for that house?
=====

Come to think of it...
What if you open the window of an RV - is that "portable"?

How about a mobile home?
Is it "portable" if you have constructive possession of the wheels?

I haven't seen @Prepper post at all in this thread!
Burp!

You don't what chickens?
A verb, senator; we need a verb.

I blame my phone.

I don't HAVE chickens. I used to have pigeons, but a red tail hawk moved into the neighborhood a few years ago. I think he's moved but I hear an owl frequently and the pigeons have never returned, so I'm happy.

I did have a chicken coop, maybe 25 years ago, but I hired some illegal aliens to do some work (pulling down plaster and such), so they dumped the fridge from next door, dismantled the chicken coop and did something unspeakable in my china closet.

Please note that this is NOT Baseless Lies and every word of that is true.

Two of our 7 chickens are crazy. They both fly out of the fenced-in run every day and wander our neighborhood foraging and occasionally hanging out with the local group of wild turkey. I shit you not. I’ve seen it. I heard an owl near our house months back but it was only for a few nights. At night our chickens are well locked up in the coop. We lost three to a raccoon last year. Currently my problem is rats. I’ve killed two already and I know there has to more lurking around.
Seems to me that no matter what you do, owning chickens is going to attract other critters.

Son Lance in NH has chickens. He's off the beaten path and has to deal with racoons, yotes, foxes and bears. His chickens are in a very secure coop at nite. When they are allowed to roam around the yard, the dog guards them. Chickens will draw anything. Jack.

Back
Top Bottom