Damm Owl is Killing my Chickens

Yes they do. What surprised us the most is how brazen he was. He returned several times while we were looking for the ones that were hiding. He seemed to average 10 to 15' away from us when he landed and would not shoo.

Really? "Shooing" didn't take care of it. I'm at a loss. :)

Sadly, We've lost a few hens while they were out free ranging in the yard. It sucks.

The feeling Cowgirlup and I had was = we're their protectors, and we failed them...

It happened once when we were at church for a few hours and came back to find a hen we had raised (just getting to egg laying age), err, shall I say it was more like what was left of her. The others were hiding and a little traumatized.

Then we lost one of our favorites that we had raised. We really Don't know exactly what got her. Again, it happened while they were out free ranging.

I don't feel that we failed them but we are absolutely their protectors whenever possible. I only remember losing 2 to predators. One of them because she would not stay with the group and wandered off by herself. I think the bobcat got her. We knew it could happen and in all the years we've had them that's not too bad of a loss.

OP, If SSS is not an option and the owl is coming at dusk try to get the chickens in early. Netting is good if you have a fenced chicken yard. I have also read where people have strung wire or fishing line around the yard and hung old CD's in places to try and scare them away or deter them from attacking but that sounds like a lot of trouble to me.

It's odd the owl is not afraid of you. It makes me wonder if it had been injured, nursed back to health and released so it is used to people.
Now that it's had a few meals it will not go away until it has killed all your other chickens.

OP, do you know for sure it is an owl? Have you seen it? Can you ID it?

iu
?
iu
?
iu
?

iu
?

iu
?

Last edited:
Cover your stock up or face the reality: predators will come after a meal every time.
Can't blame the owl, really.
Related to birds of prey, I did see a winter owl snagging a New Yorker's pet cat at night time. That thing was yuge, my only regret is not taking a pic......a white silent killer.
Nature is awesome.

It's also against the law to do more than 65 on Rt 495. It's also against the law to sneak into this country. Laws don't mean shit anymore. Jack.

I agree. It seems that the more laws that are made, the less respect there is for them.

OP, good luck protecting your chickens. It seems like chickens are predator magnets. The learning curve is steep, you have to figure out how to protect your chickens before you run out of them. When you figure out what works best for you don't let us know, keep it as a proprietary secret.

I agree. It seems that the more laws that are made, the less respect there is for them.

OP, good luck protecting your chickens. It seems like chickens are predator magnets. The learning curve is steep, you have to figure out how to protect your chickens before you run out of them. When you figure out what works best for you don't let us know, keep it as a proprietary secret.
We had a smaller run that had a net over it, but we converted a wooden shed and let them free range right before winter because of over crowding. The door gets closed at night but we don't always get out there right at dark. You guys are absolutely right that we are their sole protection and we failed them.

All I have for an air rifle is an old crossman pellet gun. It's fairly accurate but the pellets just bounce off of most critters. He's been back.

Open a window.
.22 from inside the house has been offered as a suggestion for other pests where there might be neighbors around to hear a shot.

Back
Top Bottom