Dallas PO enters wrong apartment, kills occupant

Number One Nephew is an original tenant
in a Very New apartment building outside the Hub,
two blocks from commuter rail/T.
Pretty damned swank,
especially compared to his last two apartments.
(Or anything any of my software engineering colleagues
ever rented at a similar age).

Saturday night I realized that his RFID frob door lock
is the same model as Botham Jean's (and Amber Guyger's).
Which is the same system used for the front door at
the Bride's Mother's building in Greater Morristown.

So this raised the question: upscale apartments,
or overly dramatic security in a sketchy district?

Here's the Dallas apartment complex:

Also damned swank to my eye. Definitely reminds me of #1 Nephew's flat:
those aren't some bait and switch photos of a model apartment,
where the real units come with lead paint on the kitchen trim.

I sense Real Estate Speak implying to me that it's in a gentrification zone.
(``... up-and-coming district ... which is positioned just south of
Downtown Dallas and adjacent to the vibrant Deep Ellum quarter'', etc.)
(Like #1N's building).

In other words, the best of both worlds.[rolleyes]
Sigh.

So this raised the question: upscale apartments,
or overly dramatic security in a sketchy district?

Here's the Dallas apartment complex:

Also damned swank to my eye. Definitely reminds me of #1 Nephew's flat:
those aren't some bait and switch photos of a model apartment,
where the real units come with lead paint on the kitchen trim.

I sense Real Estate Speak implying to me that it's in a gentrification zone.
(``... up-and-coming district ... which is positioned just south of
Downtown Dallas and adjacent to the vibrant Deep Ellum quarter'', etc.)
(Like #1N's building).

In other words, the best of both worlds.[rolleyes]
Sigh.

Definitely sketchy area. During the day it's not so bad. Good restaurants and bars etc. It's an "historic" part of Dallas and caters to sight seers and young hipsters at night. But there is no way I would go there at night (Deep Ellum). Even during the day the homeless and drug dealers are all over the place. If it wasn't for people working downtown, there would be no anything down there. On weekends, that whole area is like a ghost town except the ghosts down there will beg for money and harass you and that's the least of your worries. AFter the lights go down...no FRICKING way!

72553958_2672690039442472_7087415982292992000_n.jpg

When I enter the wrong apartment, I just assume the burglar decided to remove all my furniture and decorations and replace them with his own as part of the burglary.

.This was criminally fatal inattention to detail, combined with a conditioned police response that didn’t allow this convict to believe she could possibly be wrong, and that she should use lethal force without thinking

In my experience men/women who are conditioned to kill, Armed Forces, LE, whatever: do kill and ask questions later. In Vietnam we had no hi-tec ID, 'friend or foe' technology or person to person communication, GPS. Friendly fire happened, I saw it, as well as the lifetime of devastation it caused. I wouldn't wish it on anyone...a conditioned response by it's very definition happens without thinking, read Pavlov. My post was not about LE approved shot placement but about conditioned responses and the tragedies that follow

Definitely sketchy area. During the day it's not so bad. Good restaurants and bars etc. It's an "historic" part of Dallas and caters to sight seers and young hipsters at night. But there is no way I would go there at night (Deep Ellum). Even during the day the homeless and drug dealers are all over the place. If it wasn't for people working downtown, there would be no anything down there. On weekends, that whole area is like a ghost town except the ghosts down there will beg for money and harass you and that's the least of your worries. AFter the lights go down...no FRICKING way!
Agree Deep Ellum area is a pit. Boston equivalent would be the South End if the south end was full of trendy bars

In my experience men/women who are conditioned to kill, Armed Forces, LE, whatever: do kill and ask questions later. In Vietnam we had no hi-tec ID, 'friend or foe' technology or person to person communication, GPS. Friendly fire happened, I saw it, as well as the lifetime of devastation it caused. I wouldn't wish it on anyone...a conditioned response by it's very definition happens without thinking, read Pavlov. My post was not about LE approved shot placement but about conditioned responses and the tragedies that follow

Agreed.

I wasn’t talking about her shooting to kill, or even shooting at all. I was talking about her failing to consider she could possibly be in the wrong apartment. Because cops are never wrong.

Idiotic sentence. 10 years for an accident. It's horrific don't get me wrong. But shit happens. I say she gets 3 years and community service. 10 is ridiculous.

Sort of depends on which end of the "Accident" you are on.
Could have been you sitting on the couch watching TV and eating ice cream.
Worst yet, "Hello Mr. Nagant, we need you to come down to the Coroners office and ID your son's body."

Im going on vacation in Dallas this Nov. Small one. 4 days. What part are we talking here? Im gonna be in downtown dallas. Im a little worried now lol.

Then again I live in fall river. So I probably will feel home. Stockholm syndrome. The most dangerous city in MA supposidly although I think Brockton is worst. A 15 year old girl just murdered her granny a few days ago and its no surprise here. Atf raids all the time. I think Dallas might be tamer even in its harshest ghettos. But then again, home is home. And you're always safer in familiar land. I

I think the pecan lodge is deep ellum. I intend on roaming at night. If I see the junkies i'll compare them to Fall River ones. Judge the superior specimen. I hate those degenerates.

Last edited:
I think the pecan lodge is deep ellum. I intend on roaming at night. If I see the junkies i'll compare them to Fall River ones.
Might be better to avoid that situation. Two or more stupids suggests you should get out.
-- going stupid places
-- with stupid people
-- doing stupid things
-- at stupid times

Whatever you do, safe travels.

I was watching a youtube video about this. The guy claimed that in TX, if you are sentenced to 10 years and under, your bail can continue during the appeal process. In other words, she would't have to spend time in prison until the appeals are exhausted. Like I said, it was Youtube, so take it with a grain of salt. Has she actually been locked up yet?

Even if that were the case, after realizing her mistake her first thought was how to cover her ass instead of providing medical assistance.

Even if that were the case, after realizing her mistake her first thought was how to cover her ass instead of providing medical assistance.

That is key. I’m sure she has genuine remorse and sorrow for what she did, beyond just being upset about being caught. However, in those critical moments after the shooting, she only thought of herself rather than rendering aid.

I was watching a youtube video about this. The guy claimed that in TX, if you are sentenced to 10 years and under, your bail can continue during the appeal process. In other words, she would't have to spend time in prison until the appeals are exhausted. Like I said, it was Youtube, so take it with a grain of salt. Has she actually been locked up yet?

Basic fact checking would show that

1. She has already been transferred into the custody of the state and has begun her prison sentence.

2. Texas law prohibits her from being released on bail during appeal and must immediately start serving her time.

“Art. 44.04. BOND PENDING APPEAL. (a) Pending the determination of any motion for new trial or the appeal from any misdemeanor conviction, the defendant is entitled to be released on reasonable bail.

(b) The defendant may not be released on bail pending the appeal from any felony conviction where the punishment equals or exceeds 10 years confinement or where the defendant has been convicted of an offense listed under Article 42A.054(a), but shall immediately be placed in custody and the bail discharged.”

The first offense listed under 42A.054 is murder so the length of her sentence is moot. She’s not entitled to bail.

But god forbid you fact check anything. A YouTube video is surely good enough.

Back
Top Bottom