Daley hints he may drop fight to keep handgun ban

I hope he doesn't cave in on this, otherwise pro-RKBA groups will have to look elsewhere for an incorporation case. [thinking]

However... given Daleys reputation as pig-headed dictator, any concessions he makes probably won't be in line with the SCOTUS decision.

Daley hints he may drop fight to keep handgun ban

Mayor Daley on Friday cracked the door open to abandoning the costly fight to uphold Chicago's 1982 handgun freeze -- if he can fashion a replacement ordinance that protects the safety of first-responders.

Until now, Daley had promised to defend Chicago's ordinance all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, despite what he called the dangerous precedent set by the court.

Daley pushing new gun ban measure Chicago continues to enforce gun ban

On June 26, the Supreme Court overturned a Washington, D.C., handgun ban on grounds that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to possess a handgun in your home for self-defense.

The National Rifle Association then filed lawsuits seeking to overturn handgun bans in Chicago, Morton Grove, Evanston and Oak Park.

Wilmette and Morton Grove preemptively repealed their bans.

Now that both suburbs have thrown in the towel, and newspaper editorials have urged Daley to do the same to save millions in legal costs on a fight he can't win, he appears to be having second thoughts.

At a news conference called to tout the 6,848 guns collected at last week's gun turn-in program, Daley was asked point-blank whether he would continue the legal fight to keep Chicago's handgun ban.

"We don't know yet. ... We're not gonna run away. We're gonna try to figure this out," he said.

Under further questioning, the mayor said city attorneys would simultaneously contest the law and work on a possible replacement.

Chicagoans with guns in their homes might be required to have insurance to protect taxpayers from frivolous lawsuits, he said.

"We're talking about putting first-responders in a very, very delicate position of people being armed without being notified how many guns they have in their homes," Daley said. "We have to be able to fashion a law that truly protects first-responders and protects the citizens."

http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1087669,CST-NWS-guns02.article#

Hmm, the first responders in just about every other major city in the US don't seem to have a problem.

I find it sickening that 6848 guns were turned in. Think about how many WW2 era 1911s were probably in that batch. The idiotic owners probably got a $50 gift card to Target for their $2000 pistol.

"We're talking about putting first-responders in a very, very delicate position of people being armed without being notified how many guns they have in their homes," Daley said. "We have to be able to fashion a law that truly protects first-responders and protects the citizens."

How can someone that actually thinks like this be a mayor in a major city??? Completely and utterly clueless...

What is this fetish with first responders? Is there really a problem with people shooting at firefighters and EMTs??

WTF is that idiot smoking, anyway?

How can someone that actually thinks like this be a mayor in a major city??? Completely and utterly clueless...

Because when people call 911 they arm themselves and shoot it out w/ police...[thinking]

And, apparently people are octopuses and the number of firearms they own will directly impact the violence level. [rolleyes]

What is this fetish with first responders? Is there really a problem with people shooting at firefighters and EMTs??

Ross, a good friend of mine is a D.C. fireman and has told me that there are certain areas they won't go to without cops there first. People will throw anything out of their windows at them while they are trying to work. He has also said that a shooting victim won't even be approached by them until there are cops there because if the guy is just wounded there is a distinct possibilty of the shooter coming back to finish him off. Ambulances have been chased into traffic and guys have been shot in the back while being treated.

Ross, a good friend of mine is a D.C. fireman and has told me that there are certain areas they won't go to without cops there first. People will throw anything out of their windows at them while they are trying to work. He has also said that a shooting victim won't even be approached by them until there are cops there because if the guy is just wounded there is a distinct possibilty of the shooter coming back to finish him off. Ambulances have been chased into traffic and guys have been shot in the back while being treated.

Doesn't sound like a gun ban would solve the problem.

Of course you're right. Chicago has the same problems with first responders taking fire as DC... and the ban already does nothing; nor would registration, etc. The people shooting at them are already flagrant lawbreakers.

I love telling the few liberal people I talk with that they have had their way for a long time and it hasn't worked, time to try something else.

Of course you're right. Chicago has the same problems with first responders taking fire as DC... and the ban already does nothing; nor would registration, etc. The people shooting at them are already flagrant lawbreakers.

Which just goes to prove that modern "liberalism" is really a mental disease. That is, doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result each time.

if he can fashion a replacement ordinance that protects the safety of first-responders.

You mean a law prohibiting the use of a firearm on first-responders won't work?!?

Which just goes to prove that modern "liberalism" is really a mental disease. That is, doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result each time.

No doubt Mr. Mayor is seeking to save both his precious theory of urban violence... and face.

No Kidding. I find him one of the most inane and annoying figures in politics.

I think it will be unfortunate for us if Daley caves. We really need this case to get to SCOTUS for them to rule on incorporation of the 2nd Amendment.

It's actually a very clever ploy to maintain a foothold or establish a slippery slope. It's his version of "it's for the children."

He is neither ignorant nor stupid. His lawyers certainly know what could happen if he loses the court battle we want him to fight. We think we could win. His lawyers probably told him that we're right. So instead he's working an angle to get what he wants, which is to maintain his gun ban.

Big city politicians do not want to make any waves with the police, fire and EMS unions if there's a way to avoid it.

I think it will be unfortunate for us if Daley caves. We really need this case to get to SCOTUS for them to rule on incorporation of the 2nd Amendment.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Brady Campaign had something to do with Daleys revised position... they did try to talk Fenty out of appealing the DC case to the SCOTUS.

If Heller was just a bad dream for the antis... a potential Chicago case going to the high court will be their worst nightmare.

BRILLIANT! Tehy sHould p4ass iT immedIateli!!!1!#! Doobie 4 Chicago MAYOR!!5!%$!

Heck no.... 10 / 10 of the last Mayor's of Chicago are currently (or formerly) spending time in jail... Same with the gubanators.

Probably the ONLY excuse he could come up with, and an extremely lame one at that.

Look, the bozo is grasping for straws to keep a ban, or registration scheme going. He knows it's a losing proposition, so he tries to rally public opinion.

Maybe have a sign outside home to give responders a number of weapons inside......sign for infinity perhaps? [thinking]

Whether he's an idiot or not, it does happen.http://www.officer.com/web/online/Top-News-Stories/Two-Missouri-Officers-Shot--Firefighter-Killed-in-Standoff/1$42421

FWIW, I'm not the least bit worried about being shot at by a LTC holder. It's the people that aren't licensed, who by definition are criminals, that concern me. Daley's solution has nothing to do with that though.

Fortunately being shot at is pretty rare for firefighters and EMTs. Being assaulted by other means isn't, though. In fact it's fairly common.

That's pretty rare up here, and from what I've read it's pretty unusual everywhere. I've read of it happening, but it's actually a bigger problem in hospitals than in the street. Just about every shooting I've been at had a ton of cops on scene and the shooter was long gone. Except for one, and that was a pretty unusual case.

Prohibition of any kind never works. You'd think we would have learned that with the 18th Amendment, but liberals just aren't that bright in general.

I think there are other cities that will qualify. You'll note however that two smaller towns in IL already repealed their bans. That might be because they don't think they can win, but it might also be because they don't think they can afford to fight it win or lose.

Gary

I think there are other cities that will qualify. You'll note however that two smaller towns in IL already repealed their bans. That might be because they don't think they can win, but it might also be because they don't think they can afford to fight it win or lose.

I don't know of any cities other than those in IL that have similar bans. Morton Grove and Wilmette have already caved. Evanston is rewriting its gun ban. I predict Winnetka will fold if they are sued.

I don't know of any cities other than those in IL that have similar bans. Morton Grove and Wilmette have already caved. Evanston is rewriting its gun ban. I predict Winnetka will fold if they are sued.

Am I wrong in thinking that the San Francisco ban will qualify?

Back
Top Bottom