Dakota Alert MURS MAT

F

Finalygotabeltfed

For anyone looking to beef up their outside or inside security in either an occupied or unoccupied building I highly recommend the Dakota Alert MURS motion sensor/transmitter.

I have been running the UHF version of this type for a couple of years now at my place down south and it has functioned very well. The output power of these UHF units is very low and range is limited and there's no external antenna jack. They are great for a close in driveway annunciator or through the door chime but not real great for distant perimeter security.

I'm now switching to the VHF MURS band transmitters for some extended range. These units have up to 2 watts output, have external antenna jack (SMA female) which is common to many available HT antennas if,you want to put a 1/4 wave ducks on it or adapt it to a BNC and run a cable up a tree to a wire ground plane or maybe a 5/8ths wave mobile antenna.

These MURS models will give me the capability to monitor a radio while out on the farm and hear if there is any activity on other parts of the property. The UHF models didn't have enough useable range to cover the property.

Operation on any of the five MURS frequencies and have 38 selectable PL tone(CTCSS) and selectable zones, 1-4.

They will also run on 12v from a sealed lead acid battery. They come with a battery pack that holds 6 AA penalties but this can be replaced and a 12v battery wired to it. The higher voltage will increase the power output also, which is usually factory set at 1.1W with a 9v source.

They transmit a voice message three times on the frequency you select, then reset. The reset time is selectable also. They can be used with the base station or with any VHF portable or scanner capable of receiving the MURS frequencies.

These units can be used out in the field while camping to set up a perimeter against undetected intrusion by man or animal.

I have no affiliation with this company other than being a satisfied user of their products.

Check them out, very versatile addition and great force multiplier for any location.

Dakotaalert.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what all that means but I think I ought to get some.

They are passive infrared motion sensors that transmit a signal over certain radio frequencies for a couple of miles.

You use them for monitoring real time activity on a driveway, a perimeter or inside a building. I'm sure you've got an application for them :D

They are passive infrared motion sensors that transmit a signal over certain radio frequencies for a couple of miles.

You use them for monitoring real time activity on a driveway, a perimeter or inside a building. I'm sure you've got an application for them :D

want to know if someone who is not welcome is at the end of your 1100 foot driveway? these will tell you.

There's also an option to recharge the 12v battery with a PV panel if you are so inclined, or are considering them for off grid/grid down use.

I will echo the sentiments above, these are solid performers.

Hi Folks. 1st post and new forum member.

I purchased a Dakota Alert Base Station and two UV sensors a month ago and deployed them. These are truly the 1st long range devices I've seen that are affordable, wireless and actually work. So I bought two more sensors and an outside antenna to extend the range. Our place is remote forest and the access is 4WD only so we need the sensors to alert us of activity.

My only remaining task is how to get a notification if there is a transmission on the MURS frequency. Still researching that.

Do any of these devices hook up to wifi so that I can get alerts when away? I recently got this weather station that actually let's me check my outdoor thermometet and windometer from away, plus get alerts. Something like this but with motion sensors would be good.

Do any of these devices hook up to wifi so that I can get alerts when away?
Dakota Alert has been saying "soon" on some sort of "smart" receiver for about a decade.

Their MURS base station has a relay that will close a circuit on receiving an alert (and website has a January 2019 message saying more new devices with relays are coming this spring/summer), so you could connect something that would send a message via Internet (e.g. Arduino, ESP32, or for real overkill, Raspberry Pi).

Dakota Alert has been saying "soon" on some sort of "smart" receiver for about a decade.

Their MURS base station has a relay that will close a circuit on receiving an alert (and website has a January 2019 message saying more new devices with relays are coming this spring/summer), so you could connect something that would send a message via Internet (e.g. Arduino, ESP32, or for real overkill, Raspberry Pi).

That could work... I do have a Raspberry Pi and could make that work easily enough. Yuck... Python programming...

I cant believe how little quality crap is available in this field. I have had Dakota products and they performed for the price point but damn someone needs to come out with a golden goose and be done with this game...

I utilize a large dog that detects motion and sound 24/7 and with the added feature can quel and potential issues should them come within a certain range

BWAHHAH, yes, that works. We have four Catahoulas ready to rock and roll at a moment's notice. But these sensors can be a different kind of reliable alert, long range. The dogs are too valuable to let outside the perimeter.

Do any of these devices hook up to wifi so that I can get alerts when away? I recently got this weather station that actually let's me check my outdoor thermometet and windometer from away, plus get alerts. Something like this but with motion sensors would be good.

Nope. They are are only as good as the base unit is close to hear. But there is a relay out the back that could trigger a horn, etc.

That could work... I do have a Raspberry Pi and could make that work easily enough. Yuck... Python programming...

Go for it. The output is in place but will not differentiate between field transmitters. In my case there are four transmitters - in which direction do I deploy the Catahoulas? I will not risk them to an unknown.

I knew Tom (aka BeltFed...) pretty well. Great guy.

Some years ago after retiring he moved down to Kentucky or Tennessee. He and his wife bought some land and were building a home on a river IIRC. His son was living down there too.

I miss seeing the guy. Always a gentleman.

Awe, beltfed went Jose'...

Go for it. The output is in place but will not differentiate between field transmitters. In my case there are four transmitters - in which direction do I deploy the Catahoulas? I will not risk them to an unknown.
Dakota's old designs had four relays.

Their new MURS designs has multiple spoken voice alerts, so you just need to train the dogs to run to the north gate when they hear “Alert Zone Three" from the computer voice.

Their new MURS designs has multiple spoken voice alerts, so you just need to train the dogs to run to the north gate when they hear “Alert Zone Three" from the computer voice.

That gives me a ridiculous idea.... Get an Alexa and train that to recognize the murs voice alerts and then send me a notification.

He definitely look effective.

My dog would do an excellent job if you were made of sugar so he could lick you to death

Actually Catahoulas are really++ head strong, task oriented and people lovers unless you are a feral hog, squirrel, predator, etc. I'm sure someone could teach one to be people mean but it's just not normal. Fortunately the aggressive tendencies work well to keep people in their vehicle and that's just fine with me.

If you want an interesting read just look up Catahoula Leopard Dog history. "War dogs, Mastiffs, Greyhounds, Red Wolves, Louisiana."

But for the Dakota Alert MURS stuff, the Raspberry Pi idea seems most reasonable. With the activity/trigger relay on the base station there are some smart folks who could use this to send and alert via TCP/IP. I don't expect to see the solution on Amazon any time soon though.

Welcome to the forum.

TY. I'm certainly not of NE heritage and my NY wife continuously reminds that my that my perspective and roots are more than a few hundred years short of the original colonys' accomplishments. That being said, I just enjoy like minded people, wherever they might be.

Actually Catahoulas are really++ head strong, task oriented and people lovers unless you are a feral hog, squirrel, predator, etc. I'm sure someone could teach one to be people mean but it's just not normal. Fortunately the aggressive tendencies work well to keep people in their vehicle and that's just fine with me.

If you want an interesting read just look up Catahoula Leopard Dog history. "War dogs, Mastiffs, Greyhounds, Red Wolves, Louisiana."

But for the Dakota Alert MURS stuff, the Raspberry Pi idea seems most reasonable. With the activity/trigger relay on the base station there are some smart folks who could use this to send and alert via TCP/IP. I don't expect to see the solution on Amazon any time soon though.

Interestingly,,, i have a pit bull terrier and he's afraid of the declawed cat..... definitely not a Alpha Male and I love him

Neighbors have one and he pretty much goes nuts whenever someone approaches the house. We have family in LA and are familiar with Catahoulas. Neighbors dog does seem to be very nice to people once introduced. We have a GSD and a Rott. Our Rott is a real clown for anyone that is introduced as OK. Our GSD takes some extra work to be convinced that a guest is OK. Both are 'ready' for any uninvited strangers well before they reach the house.

I was wondering how this would work and it has played out: The Catahoulas have figured out that "Alert Zone (x)" is worth their attention - they wake up. They go to the glass door in waiting and watching. They already know a zone 1 announcement means someone is at the front gate and they can see them. I am still watching to detect if they can figure out the other zones but its not so easy as they can't correlate the message with the event from remte sensors. And so it is training a Catahola. If you want them to work animals then just have one (not more) with you when doing chores and say the commands while leading. The Cat will figure it out real fast. If you have 2 or more, oh dang, that doesn't work.

Now that the deciduous trees have leafed out along with everything else the MURS signal has faded. I did install a J-pole antenna for the receiver and that helped but my most distant transmitter is so close to the edge that some times it receives and some not. I don't have a good, concealable place closer - besides, that defeats the purpose. So I am thinking of an antenna for the remote. But that's a problem cause it would stick out terribly.

I was thinking of trying a length of coax with the braided shield stripped back to the right length and running it up the tree a ways. (243 / 151 x 12 = 19 5/16" exposed after the shield.) But this doesn't provide for the grounding plane needed for 1/4 wave antennas. Before I tried rounding up the stuff and climbing a tree in the forest I thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried something like this or had some other success?

Sure is a PITB that the Radio Shack store is gone....

Can't do better than a yagi if you can hide it.

I did some initial look-ups on the Yagi idea. I have some experience with them for the cell booster and know one for 151 mhz must be specific for the frequency. I found a design program but can't use it with a Linux Chromebook. I can conceal a Yagi due to other obstructions at ground level.

Back
Top Bottom