• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dagger with no guard, thoughts?

Mass-diver

NES Member
Unsafe, stupid design or totally fine as long as you have a strong grip and good technique?

Ya, I own a winkler hawk and it’s nice, but I’m just not sure about their daggers.

View attachment 715215
My take is dumb idea to skip at least some sort of minimal guard or grip design that keeps fingers off the blade if it might ever be used for self defense. Based on cleaning a lot of game once you start poking flesh and guts things get slippery. Could have at least put a little flare at the blade end of the handle.

i see this design occasionally. its the knife equivalent of carrying a .32 hold out pistol. you can't really fight with it, but as a deep concealment last ditch weapon it works. i usually carry 2 knives, one for utility and one no-compromise design for fighting, and don't see a void to fill with this. At least it has a heavily textured handle, unlike the Randall guardless dagger, which is beautiful and slippery.

usually knives with no handguard are made to be used with a shield. you're not parrying, you're not carrying a shield, so this only works as a 'don't touch my gun' knife. i like the karambit for this better

I have these in my collection, they're pretty cool but the lack of guard and sharp edges make you think. I'd go with the Fairbairn-Sykes or Gerber Mk2 if I had to use a dagger for some reason. I do like Winkler knives though. Wish I could find a rubber handled Operator (ETA: okay, yeah that sounds wrong).
BB0436E7-26DF-485D-A0E7-6255C4206AFE.jpeg
Entrek Bullet
18C1E584-B64F-48C3-B587-B2A03078C11F.jpeg
SOG Pentagon

How's it any "less safe" than any pocket knife or double edge OTF knife?

I think by virtue of self-classifying as a dagger, it is implied to be a thrusting weapon, where a hilt would be useful as a handstop. But if you were just using either side of the blade for craft work or daily chores, it is probably no more dangerous to the user than any other pocket knife. It would, however, then be an unusual pick for that type of work. So this is kind of a blade with no distinct function.

Ya, I own a winkler hawk and it’s nice, but I’m just not sure about their daggers.

View attachment 715215
Daniel Winkler is one of the better or more reputable makers. He’s been at it for a while. I had a Winkler collaboration once. It was a Damascus, slightly Persian style boot knife. The sheath was a pocket sheath that looked like a glasses case. If I remember right, there was nothing in the form of a guard. Yes I kick myself for trading it away.

i had a gerber boot knife back in the day in this style. it's only as good as the grip for the design to work.

How's it any "less safe" than any pocket knife or double edge OTF knife?

If it's a fighting blade it needs a guard so you can parry. It's a core technique to close distance or make space. I would have to retrain to fight with a knife with no guard. If you were to parry a club strike with that it would almost certainly result in a broken hand. Same against another knife and you'd lose some fingers. If you stab and hit something hard the knife will stop and your hand continue, cutting your hand mixing the person's blood whom you just stabbed with your own.

In
If it's a fighting blade it needs a guard so you can parry. It's a core technique to close distance or make space. I would have to retrain to fight with a knife with no guard. If you were to parry a club strike with that it would almost certainly result in a broken hand. Same against another knife and you'd lose some fingers. If you stab and hit something hard the knife will stop and your hand continue, cutting your hand mixing the person's blood whom you just stabbed with your own.
Ya, that’s what makes this knife so strange. Winkler makes stuff for SEALs and claims this was designed for SOF, but the design just seems to make no sense as it clearly is designed solely for stabbing

The Scottish Sgian-Dubh (skee-ən-DOO) "Black or Hidden Knife" is a dagger with no guard that was designed for concealed or low profile carry.

Typically it is worn tucked into the top of the kilt hose (tall socks) on the same side as the dominant hand, but they have also been concealed in the armpit.

Tradition and etiquette in Scotland called for leaving longer weapons (Claymore, axes, pole arms, spears, etc.) at the door when visiting or being a guest inside a home.

Carrying a Sgian-Dubh allowed one to still be armed and unnoticed while sitting at a table while enjoying whisky and haggis. :)

(Today we might do the same thing with our rifles and shotguns; leave them nearby, but still have a pistol on our person.)

Most of today's Sgian-Dubhs are ceremonial in nature; they are just mock ups or drones (pointy, but with a dull edge).

Dress-Sgian-Dubh-with-gemstone-and-clan-crest.jpg

My Sgian-Dubh is a custom by Ken Brock and I really like it.

It has some contour to the grip, but no guard really to speak of.

I haven't had the chance to carry it with my kilt yet, but I look forward to doing so soon.

Ken Brock Sgian dubh knife with sheath.jpg

Here’s a nice one for fairly short money.
View attachment 715435
Not too many years ago they were selling Eks all over the place. They’re probably worth some collector value now.
* edit* I just went to the Ek website. I guess Kabar either bought them out or they were collaborating for a while if I remember right. They have some special editions of the commando with the wooden handles. One of the manufacturer, either Ek or Applegate had little compartments in the scales when you unscrewed them you could stash fishing line and hooks and stuff.

Last edited:
Not too many years ago they were selling Eks all over the place. They’re probably worth some collector value now.
* edit* I just went to the Ek website. I guess Kabar either bought them out or they were collaborating for a while if I remember right. They have some special editions of the commando with the wooden handles. One of the manufacturer, either Ek or Applegate had little compartments in the scales when you unscrewed them you could stash fishing line and hooks and stuff.
I never had an EK, they do look nice, that one actually popped up in an email right after I read this thread so I had to post it. Hoping somebody else will buy one and I can live vicariously thru their knife pics here. lol [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom