• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Daddy, wheres your shooting gun?

I just wanted to relay a quick cute kid moment that partents love and everyone else probally think are annoying[wink];

My wife just took my 2 1/2yo son for a walk and I decided this was perfect opportunity to clean my shotgun after last nights rounds of trap shooting. I cleaned the shotgun and put it and the cleaning supplies away well before they got back from their walk.

When they got home I picked up my son and gave him a hug. He looked at me and said "Daddy, wheres your shooting gun?" I asked why and he said "I can smell it."

How great is it that my 2 1/2yo knows what guns smell like (or at least that the smell of Hoppe's is the smell of guns). [smile]

There's all sorts of great carcinogenic smells of childhood I associate with my Dad .... charcoal grilling, cigarette smoke, plenty of different organic solvents, the smell of solder flux, epoxy, etc.

There's all sorts of great carcinogenic smells of childhood I associate with my Dad .... charcoal grilling, cigarette smoke, plenty of different organic solvents, the smell of solder flux, epoxy, etc.

Haha, it's too bad all of the good smelling stuff is so bad for you. I used to love the smell of gasoline.

Haha, it's too bad all of the good smelling stuff is so bad for you. I used to love the smell of gasoline.

+1

Tobacco, grilling meat, acetone, CLP, WD40, motor oil.....

And to stay on topic, that's cute. And i love the smell of gunpowder and solvent.

Oh, yeah... burning rosin. Takes me right back, it does.

And the smell of .22LR reminds me of summer camp.

Kids say some cool stuff!

Oh, remember this stuff?
SuperElastic.JPG

The "smell" would rot your brain right inside your skull![laugh]

How great is it that my 2 1/2yo knows what guns smell like (or at least that the smell of Hoppe's is the smell of guns). [smile]

After the TVI shoot, my son (just under 3yo) met me when I drove in and asked excitedly if he could help daddy carry the guns from the car to the safe. I asked if he could tell me the number of the MA law I would be breaking if I let him do it. "131L, daddy" "Yup, that's at least one of them" [grin]

(Ok, ok, so he's not a genius, it's just the only statute number he knows)

After the TVI shoot, my son (just under 3yo) met me when I drove in and asked excitedly if he could help daddy carry the guns from the car to the safe. I asked if he could tell me the number of the MA law I would be breaking if I let him do it. "131L, daddy" "Yup, that's at least one of them" [grin]
Just in case anyone was operating under the delusion that they could hide these things from the kids...

They see and hear everything...

MA shouldn't have written all those silly pamphlets and laws on how to keep your child away from the guns, they should have mandated a maximum age and minimum number of rounds per year that they fire[laugh]

When we lived in FL, I carried 100% of the time. One time, my son (4 at the time) and I were waiting in line some place and he put his hand in my "gun pocket". He said, "Daddy, I can see your gun!"

Some of the folks in the line looked a little nervous, some of the old time Floridians chuckled.

I was pulled over for having an expired inspection sticker ~ 8 years ago (who checks those anyway?) the lady cop is approaching the car and my son (whom some of you met at the TVI shoot) starts yelling from his car seat: "Daddy, drive away quick! She has a GUN!"

Fortunately she also had a sense of humor.

I was pulled over for having an expired inspection sticker ~ 8 years ago (who checks those anyway?) the lady cop is approaching the car and my son (whom some of you met at the TVI shoot) starts yelling from his car seat: "Daddy, drive away quick! She has a GUN!"

Fortunately she also had a sense of humor.
Now, THAT'S a well trained kid!! Did he get you out of the ticket? [smile]

I just wanted to relay a quick cute kid moment that partents love and everyone else probally think are annoying[wink];

My wife just took my 2 1/2yo son for a walk and I decided this was perfect opportunity to clean my shotgun after last nights rounds of trap shooting. I cleaned the shotgun and put it and the cleaning supplies away well before they got back from their walk.

When they got home I picked up my son and gave him a hug. He looked at me and said "Daddy, wheres your shooting gun?" I asked why and he said "I can smell it."

That's Awesome, every time I bring my stuff up from the safe, my 6yr old asks if he can go to the range. Keep raising him right.

Now, THAT'S a well trained kid!! Did he get you out of the ticket? [smile]

Yes, with the warning that if she nabbed me on that again I was in deep shit (to paraphrase)

Hmm, don't seem to remember him... was he the real shy, quiet one at the back? [wink]

We've... been trying to get him to come out of his shell... painfully shy, he is.

Sounds like it's time for some Henry Mini-Bolts for the lads :)
http://www.henryrepeating.com/h005_minibolt.cfm

The shy one's .22. Single shot, it breaks open like a shotgun. A "boy's" gun from ~1880 or so. Now if his mom will ever let me give it to him...

92-100_1494.jpg

Back
Top Bottom