D-Star, ZUMspot & Kenwood TH-D74a

MaverickNH

NES Member
I’m finally spending time to sort using my Kenwood TH-D74a HT with a ZUMspot hotspots on D-Star as well as by direct repeater - there’s one line-of-sight 5m away on a low mountain ~1000ft above my elevation.

It’s not a “simple” technology yet for me but might be after I’ve had some more practice. Anyone else use it? If so, we might keep this thread running.

N4SRN2A758A7B-93CA-4EA9-B051-E0CD88DB3446.png

I had setup a MMDVM hotspot in the past. Seems like it was longer than a year ago.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq7U6QQNspI

Never had a DStar rig to mess with, and the DMR HT was cheap, so tried an experiment with DMR.

Another local ham setup a DMR server so we could connect our hotspots to in a 'closed' type of net.

Maybe I can dig that thing up again, now on a pi-0, and update the video with something more than my excitement.

UJay

You can also link to DSTAR to DMR groups via as I recall XRF reflectors. I enjoy DSTAR mode better, most of the DMR talkgroups that I like to use Reddit DMR Talk Group and Quadnet can be linked via DSTAR. I Find DSTAR easier to use. Yes there are many more DMR repeaters.. I like programming radios.. however DMR is difficult compared to DSTAR.

Back
Top Bottom