• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

D-Day 65 years later

Unfortunately fewer and fewer people remember the day. If not for those brave men the world would be much different than it is.

How many people remember the Battle of Midway, though?

As to Google, I'm moving to other search engines as I've had it with their refusal to acknowledge just about any US holidays.

They were indeed the greatest generation and I don't believe we will ever see their like again. The people of this nation rose up as one, united against tyranny and worked, fought , and sacrificed to defeat it. Society today has become so fragmented with everyone in their little niche that I wonder if we as a nation could ever unite again in a common cause to fight against anything.

Unfortunately fewer and fewer people remember the day. If not for those brave men the world would be much different than it is.

How many people remember the Battle of Midway, though?

As to Google, I'm moving to other search engines as I've had it with their refusal to acknowledge just about any US holidays.

Strangely, if not for the actions of those brave men, the world from that point until now would probably be a lot like what it's just starting to be here now.......

They were indeed the greatest generation and I don't believe we will ever see their like again. The people of this nation rose up as one, united against tyranny and worked, fought , and sacrificed to defeat it. Society today has become so fragmented with everyone in their little niche that I wonder if we as a nation could ever unite again in a common cause to fight against anything.

I disagree. I think that the people who are serving and fighting in a different and in some ways more difficult war are just as heroic. The problem with the current war is that President Bush didn't present it as the moral crusade (yeah I know that would piss our "friends" off) that FDR did. Obama is even worse since he thinks we should be giving in to them.

I disagree. I think that the people who are serving and fighting in a different and in some ways more difficult war are just as heroic. The problem with the current war is that President Bush didn't present it as the moral crusade (yeah I know that would piss our "friends" off) that FDR did. Obama is even worse since he thinks we should be giving in to them.

Read my post again. I said nothing derogatory about our heroic troops fighting today. I have nothing but respect for them and thank them from the bottom of my heart for what they are doing. I said that we AS A NATION rose up together ,united, to fight tyranny. Do you honestly believe we have that today in this country?

I went to the range today to try out my new M1 Garand. There is a gentleman at our club who was an officer in the Army in WWII. I asked him about D-day, and he told me that he had been in the Pacific, and had been involved in the battle of Manila, and had participated in the liberation of the San Tomas internment camp. I looked it up later and it is quite an amazing story. Manila was pretty much completely flattened, due to the Japanese violent resistance to the death.

Read my post again. I said nothing derogatory about our heroic troops fighting today. I have nothing but respect for them and thank them from the bottom of my heart for what they are doing. I said that we AS A NATION rose up together ,united, to fight tyranny. Do you honestly believe we have that today in this country?

I think Gary did miss the meaning of your post. I do agree with you. As a nation we are nothing like we were back then. I do know that our fighting men are just as hard and nasty as they were back then. The quality of guys who serve our country will never degrade, but the populace as a whole is fading fast.

I think Gary did miss the meaning of your post. I do agree with you. As a nation we are nothing like we were back then. I do know that our fighting men are just as hard and nasty as they were back then. The quality of guys who serve our country will never degrade, but the populace as a whole is fading fast.

Thank you. As you understood, I was talking about our nation as a whole. I wouldn't dare to estimate how many people today REALLY support our fighting men and women. I would probably get sick if I knew the truth. As far as our troops go, I think they are the best trained and equipped fighting force the world has ever known, performing impossible tasks as a matter of routine on a daily basis and I love them dearly.

I found out why some vets won't talk about their combat roles during war and I will never ask another man about it. My mom dated a vet who landed on Omaha and whose brother died by MG fire while parachuting inland with 82nd. He cried when he told me what they were ordered to do and I still tear up when I think of him and his generation.
God bless all who wear the uniform.

Hail to all our veterans who have served. I was highly disappointed in the globe today. No mention of D-Day on the front page. I had to say, i wasn't expecting much, and my expectations were as expected. No wonder they are going bankrupt.

I saw the American cemetery at Omaha beach on my first trip to Europe 18 years ago. It was truly humbling.

I was a bit surprised that a somewhat older Frenchman asked me if any were my ancestors. I told him no but that some had fought in Europe and Japan and he thanked me.

This morning as I was driving to NJ, I stopped at a rest area for a "rest stop" and a bite to eat. As I got in line at the BK, I suddenly heard Taps played on the overhead TV behind me. I instantly grabbed my ball cap and put it over my heart.

As I'm paying for my croissanwich, I look up at the monitor and see the caption "American Cemetery, France" - and that's when I realized that it was D-Day, and I said as much to the cashier (who did NOT take his hat off for Taps, I might add)... and he just looked confused. Like I was speaking a foreign language. And to him, I was. [sad]

Once we where done working on the chicken coop we took our 1944 (sept) Willys MB Jeep out for our D-day drive. at least the folks at the town polling place knew what day it was.
Here's to all the brave lads who gave it all that day in June.

My father and father in-law fought in WWII. I was drafted in 1971 and my son is a former marine. I don't forget. I had the opportunity to shoot an MG42 from a tripod and can't imagine facing one. I think that the French have forgotten that if not for the U.S. they'd be speaking German now.

Back
Top Bottom