D-Day 65 years later

I will be taking time to remember.

Thank You!! To all that have Served, are Serving and will Serve.

But Thank You Most To The People And Families That Have Paid The Ultimate Price.

You Are My Hero's.

May You Rest In Peace.

[halfmast]

Last edited:
My father-in-law landed in Normandy on D-Day. He was shot in the leg, patched up and sent back. Then he was wounded again by shrapnel in the back. And he got patched up again and sent back again, although they had to leave the shrapnel in him because it was so close to the spinal cord. It caused him pain his whole life. And he was one of the lucky ones...

He's been gone a while, but was a good guy. He never finished high school so he could go into the service. He was very proud of his service, and so were we. The stories he told about Normandy were fascinating.

Thanks for the reminder, Blitz1. I'll make sure to tell my wife.

Rich

I will be taking time to remember.

Thank You!! To all that have Served, are Serving and will Serve.

But Thank You Most To The People And Families That Have Paid The Ultimate Price.

You Are My Hero's.

My You Rest In Peace.

[halfmast]

+2 Great Post.

Thanks to all the Allied men that lived and died that day.

2nd that. I hate to admit this, but every time I think of Normandy and this day I think of the first 10 minutes of "Saving Private Ryan". Not for the move per se, but the all out chaos, the dead, the wounded, the sheer madness asked of our soldiers that day. Those that braved it, and fought on during that day, I really step back and wonder if I could have.

Honestly I probably would have crapped my pants and cried if I was lucky to still be alive after landing.

This embaressing and honest moment is dedicated to those braver and more courageous than I.[halfmast]

Kind of erked me that a some calenders don't even even have D-Day marked anymore.[frown]

If it was not for those American and British soldiers we would all be speaking German and/or Japanese.

Last edited:
I'm showing episodes of Band Of Brothers all this week on our home theater.

99% of the people here remember. 35% of our youth remember, 99% of the 35% is because their Parents taught them right.

The others went to liberal colleges. [thinking][hmmm]

A phrase I've heard more than once from old-timers who saw that war:

"That's when America was America."

Not that I don't love this country, and what it's supposed to stand for, but looking around at the general malaise that's been building and festering for as long as I've been an adult (I'm 29), I sometimes wish I was born 50 years earlier.

Bless all who've given all to fight for basic human rights.

Indeed we should never forget the sacrifices that our brave troops made to free Europe and stop a madman!

My late Father went over D+10 and fought thru to just outside of Berlin . . . waiting for the Russians to officially take Berlin from the East.

My Grandfather served aboard and LST after his destroyer was torpedoed and my uncle was dropped (82nd Airborne) in over Sainte-Mère-Église. My Grandfather was a 2nd class EM and my uncle was a medic. Both men never spoke of their experiences durning the war but later my uncle gave me a bunch of German uniform insignia taken from the captured soldiers he treated. One wounded soldier was so grateful to be "finished with Hitler's war" that he handed my uncle all the money in his wallet[rolleyes]. At least that was how my uncle explained it as he gave me the blood stained money.
God Bless the greatest generation and all those who served, past and present.

Last edited:
The men who fought in WWII were all heros in my book. I used to love my grandfather telling me how many Jap planes he shot down on his ship. It literally was a non-stop wave of aircraft trying to crash in to the ship.

The sad thing is our country has slid so far in the past 65 years. We still have brave men fighting for us that are just as bad ass as they were in WWII but society as a whole is not even close to the same.

God bless every one of them.

When God, guns saved us

By Kerry J. Byrne / As You Were Saying . . . | Saturday, June 6, 2009 | http://www.bostonherald.com | Op-Ed
If George Bush had invoked the kingdom of the Almighty, today’s so-called liberals would have destroyed him. But in 1944, a Democratic icon prayed for salvation and nobody blinked.

D-Day, June 6, 1944, is the defining moment in America’s imperfect but unending quest for human freedom: a day when the nation’s youth fell from the skies and crawled from the seas to liberate a continent.

D-Day also spotlights the radical shift to the left by the Democratic Party and the liberal media over the past 65 years. These forces that hold American traditionalists and Christian conservatives in such contempt today sang quite a different tune in 1944.

Consider Page 1 of The New York Times [NYT] on June 7, 1944. The first sentence of its top story after D-Day reported that “the entire country joined in solemn prayer.”

Next to this story was a dutiful transcription of President Roosevelt’s national prayer: “Almighty God: Our sons have set upon a mighty endeavor . . .

“Embrace these, Father, and receive them, Thy heroic servants, into Thy kingdom.”

If President Bush had invoked the kingdom of the Almighty, today’s so-called liberals would have destroyed him. But in 1944, a Democratic icon prayed for salvation and nobody blinked.

The Times did not limit its discussion of prayer to the news side. An editorial run the same day said:

“We pray for the boys . . . we pray for our country . . . the cause prays for itself, for it is the cause of the God who created man free and equal.”

This is a far cry from the anti-Christian screeds that have come to dominate the op-ed pages of many American newspapers.

Liberal voices today try to tell us that the right side of the political spectrum has grown too rigidly conservative, “clinging to their guns and religion,” as Barack Obama put it so derisively on the campaign trail last year.

These liberal voices are lying.

The truth is that Americans during the dark hours of D-Day turned to their Judeo-Christian God for strength and embraced Him. The truth is that the American left has abandoned these values in the 65 years since D-Day. The truth is that in 1944, a people “clinging to their guns and religion” set the world free.

World War II historian Stephen Ambrose chronicled the way a frightened but proudly religious nation reacted to the news of the invasion of Europe in his epic, “D-Day, June 6, 1944: the Climactic Battle of World War II.”

“The impulse to pray was overwhelming. Across the United States and Canada church bells rang as a solemn reminder of national unity and a call to formal prayer. Special services were held in every church and synagogue in the land. Pews were jammed with worshipers.”

D-Day was a Tuesday.

The Liberty Bell rang on D-Day for the first time in 109 years, wrote Ambrose. “Philadelphia Mayor Bernard Samuel tapped the bell with a wooden mallet, sending its voice throughout the country over a radio network. Then he offered a prayer.”

Supreme Allied Commander Dwight Eisenhower called D-Day “a great crusade.” Roosevelt called for “faith in our united crusade.”

Media, which crucified Bush for using the word “crusade” in 2001 offered no such criticism in 1944.

Consider this, too: 9,387 young Americans are buried in the cemetery at Colleville-sur-Mer in Normandy, above Omaha Beach, where so many were killed on D-Day. They’re not buried beneath “co-exist” bumper stickers. They’re buried beneath 9,387 pristine white marble symbols of Western faith: Stars of David and crosses.

American conservatives have not abandoned these roots. Quite the contrary. Today’s “right-wing radicals” believe what average Americans believed during this nation’s finest hour: That their God and their country are unique powers for good.

The Times shared this same view of the world on D-Day.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/opinion/op_ed/view.bg?articleid=1177111

The men who fought in WWII were all heros in my book. I used to love my grandfather telling me how many Jap planes he shot down on his ship. It literally was a non-stop wave of aircraft trying to crash in to the ship.

The sad thing is our country has slid so far in the past 65 years. We still have brave men fighting for us that are just as bad ass as they were in WWII but society as a whole is not even close to the same.

God bless every one of them.

Amen.

I also take time to reflect on the 750 men lost in little-known Exercise Tiger on this day. Their sacrifices contributed greatly to the success of Operation Overlord.

Back
Top Bottom