• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CZ SP-01 Tactical Malfunction

lel

NES Member
Have an CZ SP-01 Tactical and have shot around 3,000 rounds without a malfunction. At range today and had a malfunction about 1 out of every 6 times I shot. Racked slide, decocked hammer to half-cock position, pulled trigger and could tell immediately by trigger pull that it felt like the hammer didn't reset properly (far enough back) after decocking and hammer hit firing pin without enough momentum.

Gun has CGW competition package, which was installed at NH Guns and Ammo and has functioned flawlessly until today.

Three questions:

Has anyone experienced this decocker related malfunction? Is NH Guns and Ammo still open (didn't look like it via Google search)? Is there another gunsmith within driving distance of Boston that I could have troubleshoot gun?

Thanks in advance.

Racked slide, decocked hammer to half-cock position, pulled trigger and could tell immediately by trigger pull that it felt like the hammer didn't reset properly (far enough back) after decocking and hammer hit firing pin without enough momentum.
is the pistol suppose to fire from a half cocked position? don't know, never handled a cz.

Based on description is tough to render much of a diagnosis.

what is the actual malfunction?
FT fire?
cycling stoppage?
is the problem on DA only or both DA and SA?

if there’s a light strike issue on DA it’s more likely the hammer spring or trigger bar than the DA sear itself. In any case we need more info. despite their popularity, my experience w CZ-75’s has found a significant # of failure points Particularly the trigger bar, firing pin retaining pin and trigger return springs. They are excellent pistols for a few k rounds but with heavier use they require close attention.

personally I would send the pistol to CGW but there are some great smiths in NC who can probably fix it as well.

Last edited:
I have a non decocker SP-01. When I rack it, I ride the hammer down to de cock it. Most offten it rests in the half cock position.

Never had an issue like the op has. And I’ve added every Cajun part that still keeps it IDPA legal.

I’m guessing hammer spring issue. If not maybe the firing pin spring as suggested above.

OP Did you get the extended firing pin from Cajun? Also what is your hammer spring weight?

Did you change your ammo recently? Depending on what your running for a hammer spring weight and weather or not you have an extended firing pin...could mean that you need to use ammo with soft primers federal or Winchester federal having the softest primers.

Based on description is tough to render much of a diagnosis.

what is the actual malfunction?
FT fire?
cycling stoppage?
is the problem on DA only or both DA and SA?

if there’s a light strike issue on DA it’s more likely the hammer spring or trigger bar than the DA sear itself. In any case we need more info. despite their popularity, my experience w CZ-75’s has found a significant # of failure points Particularly the trigger bar, firing pin retaining pin and trigger return springs. They are excellent pistols for a few k rounds but with heavier use they require close attention.

personally I would send the pistol to CGW but there are some great smiths in NC who can probably fix it as well.

When I decock gun, hammer appears to drop too far forward in deckocked position and trigger presses well beyond normal break point, causing hammer to release without enough momentum, causing light strike. I don't believe CGW extended firing pin was installed and there have been no changes in ammo that previously functioned flawlessly.

It's hard to tell what is going on from your description, but my guess is that your hammer spring is too light and the gun might also be dirty.
If you installed the competition package you should have had an extended firing pin installed also.

When I decock gun, hammer appears to drop too far forward in deckocked position and trigger presses well beyond normal break point, causing hammer to release without enough momentum, causing light strike. I don't believe CGW extended firing pin was installed and there have been no changes in ammo that previously functioned flawlessly.

observations vs inferences. it sounds like you're observing light strikes. my sense is the inferences are inaccurate aka human factor. the pistol needs to be examined by a smith. hopefully in the process you've learned a bit about pistol mechanics, CZ's and aftermarket modifications. progress not perfection.

observations vs inferences. it sounds like you're observing light strikes. my sense is the inferences are inaccurate aka human factor. the pistol needs to be examined by a smith. hopefully in the process you've learned a bit about pistol mechanics, CZ's and aftermarket modifications. progress not perfection.

Thanks for observation. Yes, having it looked at by gunsmith on Tuesday.

Still at gunsmith. He got a list of 10 possible things it could be from CGW. I'll update as soon as I get it back.

Back
Top Bottom