• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CZ Scorpion Handguard Setup Question / Opinions?

hyemb350

NES Member
Hi all. Need some advise on a CZ Scorpion hanguard setup. From what I understand, the only way to remove the factory handguard is to remove the barrel nut. Which isn’t practical since we need to pin & weld comps here. I do like the factory look but would like to have the option to change the handguard without removing the pin and redoing it. I’m thinking an HBI handguard would be the best option since it’s free float and can be removed but would like to be able to easily switch to factory if I wanted to. Is there anyway that can be accomplished that I’m missing or is that just the case with this gun? Thanks in advance.

Why does free float barrel matter for a 9mm carbine? Its not a precision rifle.

i shoot the snot out my CZ evo pistol. Leave the factory handguard alone. It’s fine. The HBI stuff looks nice and totally unnecessary from functional perspective. Their 15” handguard is an enormous amount of aluminum to have on a 9mm carbine. No thanks.

Why does free float barrel matter for a 9mm carbine? Its not a precision rifle.

i shoot the snot out my CZ evo pistol. Leave the factory handguard alone. It’s fine. The HBI stuff looks nice and totally unnecessary from functional perspective. Their 15” handguard is an enormous amount of aluminum to have on a 9mm carbine. No thanks.
I suppose you’re right. I just hate the idea of having something “permanent” that isn’t suppose to be. Good old Massachusetts.

On a somewhat different note, do you know a good gunsmith that can do a clean pin & weld without damaging the handguard? Since it needs to be done with the handguard already on.

Silver solder your brake on. Then you can remove it to change guards. HBI stuff is very nice. I have a shorter guard on mine and prefer it. If you have the faux suppressor, many came with only loctite and not pinned or soldered.

Silver solder your brake on. Then you can remove it to change guards. HBI stuff is very nice. I have a shorter guard on mine and prefer it. If you have the faux suppressor, many came with only loctite and not pinned or soldered.
Yea mine came with a faux suppressor and was a breeze to remove. I submitted a form 1 as soon as got it. I like how it looks with the short angled guard, almost like factory but still a bit different. Never considered silver soldering, I’ll look into it.

In that case, HBI all the way.

agreed
if going SBR then you’re going to either change or cut the barrel, so id imagine the oem handguard will be too long? if new to SBR, keep in mind it’s a PITA to ever transfer so whatever work is done one is stuck with that rifle. There are plenty of good smiths in MA. Id start with Steve at Northeast Arms but there are others who do great work as well. unfortunately I heard that Tim Gosling (G&N) is no longer in business as he was my go-to smith for years.

agreed
if going SBR then you’re going to either change or cut the barrel, so id imagine the oem handguard will be too long? if new to SBR, keep in mind it’s a PITA to ever transfer so whatever work is done one is stuck with that rifle. There are plenty of good smiths in MA. Id start with Steve at Northeast Arms but there are others who do great work as well. unfortunately I heard that Tim Gosling (G&N) is no longer in business as he was my go-to smith for years.
Thanks. Yeah this is one of the firearms I plan on keeping for a while. Unfortunately I submitted a form 1 for a HK USC that I never converted and now trying to get it removed from the registry to sell it. Funny you mentioned Northeast Arms, was going to give them a call today. Appreciate the info.

I'm sticking this in an existing Scorpion thread, not sure how much interest there may be. I have a 3D printed sleeve that allows you to use surplus UZI 32 round mags in a CZ Scorpion EVO 3. A guy I crossed paths with on the internet printed it for me and it works surprisingly well. He also printed a new follower which optimizes the feed angle just a bit. I used it while I was in MA and it's 100% OK as far as I can tell because it does not modify the original mag in any way - it's just an adapter sleeve.

CZ-UZI.jpg

In SC now and deep in OEM high caps so I don't have any use for it. I wasn't charged for the sleeve so I will pass it along to a MA Scorpion owner for the same $0 price ;) . If there's much interest I may move this over into a Karma with a mag.

Back
Top Bottom