CZ 82 refinish

mac1911

NES Member
I have committed to refinishing my CZ82. I have always needed/wanted an air compressor, small sand blaster and other related tools. Also doing this will set me up for the 3 or 4 shotguns that need do overs.

I plan on doing the home parkerize kit in black park. I'm going to attempt to rubberize my grips. If the final park job comes out well, I will order some wood CZ grips I have seen on line.
PICTURES SO FAR
#1 is what I started with
#2 is of the grips, left is original right is Loctite brand under coating. The other grip will be done in Plasti-grip spray on rubberizer.
#3 is of the receiver, it will be completely stripped for the park job barrel will be plugged. I also do not plan to completely submerge the receiver. up to the feed ramp is as far as I will go.
#4 The slide this is the most worn part, the end is almost polished where the holster strap has been rubbing for ?????

I will finish the other grip with plasti-dip. reassemble and test for durability as await the other items do in a few weeks. The next week or so is going to be for setting up shop and installing compressor. The sand blaster will be in 2 weeks. I will order the park kit when all is set up. I hope to have all done by end of April.
GRIP UPDATE. photo #5 finished the plati-dip coating on the other grip, I like the undercoat better. How well it will wear and hold up to solvents/oils ect ???

Last edited:
grip up date

I did the other grip in Plasti-grip, nice finish only a tad better gripping than the hard smooth original. The grip with under coat has a nice tackyness to it.
Will see in the near future which holds up better.

CZ82 is blasted

Getting close to the finish. I recieved the bench top blaster Thursday, finished up the blasting today. I have it coated in light gun oil for fear of rusting. I will super clean it just prior to parkerize. The kit I purchased comes with some precleaner that you soak the parts in for 15m then rinse then park. I will post more pics when done

You should have waited to blast it till just before you park. Now you have sprayed the lube all over it I would hit it with brake cleaner before you put it in the pre-cleaner.
Make sure to use distilled water for the solution. (walmart sells it cheap) any minerals int he water can cause streaking on the finish. Same with oil (and it will ruin the park solution.)

Get yourself a nice new clean 5 gal bucket and top to store the park solution in. It is reusable. Also get some thick rubber gloves and good eye protection.
It isn't real nasty stuff but it is an acid.

Glenn, I used distilled water for both the park and cleaner. Do to time and equipment location I had to blast friday then park sunday. I cleaned it with break clean very well, then just plain dish soap then the pre clean 2 times. I dont think It could have been cleaner, what I did not do is rinse with the distilled water and think that may have caused some streaking. I am assembling the gun later tonight. I had some other issues also that I will detail later. All in all for my first shot, Im happy.

I usually de-grease blast the part and then cook it in boiling water and a tablespoon of simple green for a few moments. then into the park. then back into a hot water bath for a few moments. then rinse and soak in oil. As long as you are happy thats what matters.
I was just passing on what works for me. (done several firearms.)

Ok no pics yet, I have the gun together. One problem I am haveing is some of the pins no longer fit with snugness. Especially the trigger gard pin, saftey pin and rear sight. I assume this is because of the lack of paint. I did not blast or park the pins. I how ever blasted the paint off the rear sight and dove tail? Love the learning! Anyone have any tips on getting pins a bit tighter? I will be test fire tonight then pics when I get home.

Final picture

OK here it is assembled and test fired.
I am happy with the out come on my first ever refinish. I did have my share of problems. All in all it was a great excuse to buy some tools I have wanted. Learn a few things, and start the leaning curve of gun refinishing. Now there is hope for some guns I would normally have passed up that look awful. Problems
1. As I was assembling the Parkerize stated to come off the small parts. Trigger, guard,hammer,sights,safety. blotchy and a light grey. I called the park kit supplier. He kind of giggled and welcomed me to the refinishing world.
His thoughts where. I did something wrong or out of sequence. Or the those parts need a longer soak in the park solution. I mixed the parkerize solution in the middle of the range in the instructions, cooked at a stiff boil for 30min. I am happy with the color of the slide and frame. over all I am happier with this look than the original. If this gun looked as well as the 2nd I purchased, I don't think I would have refinished it.
2. Although not easy, disassemble and reassemble was not Difficult. Frustrating YES. It took me 2 hours to get the auto safety spring in place.
3. After removal of all the paint, I have lost a snug fit on some of the pins and rear sight. Anyone have any tips to fix that??? Or how about a local pistol smith in the plymouth MA area.
4. With no dedicated area to do the complete job in.....dis/reassemble in my spare bed room on the floor with a flattened box, blasting done at my work, park do at my moms vacant new home. It is not for folk with out mechanical skills of some sort. Or for those in a rush.
5. As far as the grips go. The undercoated one feels nice and increases grip, but as I kind of knew. It is short lived and already breaking down. The other grip with Plasti-dip coating is holding up better. It is just not that much better than the plain plastic OEM grips. NEW grips either wood or plastic are in order.
Over all, It was a fun project. I will be doing more in the future. I have a few older savage field grade hunting guns in need of some cosmetic redoing.

One thing I see you possibly did wrong is the stiff boil. The park soulutions I have used said NOT to bring to a boil. but run around 180-190 deg F.
And the park coming off is likely due to not blasting the small parts. (or oil contamination.)
Ideally if it all works right you are etching the metal if blasted it just works better than a smooth finish.

It is a learning curve and I applaud your efforts to DIY. it not hard you just have to be carefull on the steps. Welcome to the world of home gunsmithing!

Something to consider with the pins is that you may have removed material from the holes opening them up...sand is an abrasive and can remove more than the finish.

Consider measuring the holes and pins - you may want to get new over sized pins. I'd maybe try some loc-tite first though - essentially gluing them in place.

Nice project

Back
Top Bottom