CZ 550 in .308 questions.

I just picked up a CZ 550 varmint in .308 yesterday. The gun has a 26" barrel not the 25.5 like all the tech specs state. The gun has the H-S precision stock.

This is a second hand gun and upon further inspection the bolt has been lapped and the face trued. Trigger is the stock set trigger but it has also had work done to it as well. The stock after taking away from the action has been sanded and 1 pillar was glassed in at the tang area of the stock.

My question is 1 why would the just pillar that one hole and 2 does anyone have any knowledge of the throat depth on this style action and barrel?

Last edited:
Maybe call CZ and ask what reamer they use?
Maybe that one hole was to sloppy?
I have not personally seen a HS stock so don’t know if that’s a factory thing or a after thought

I think you'd be lucky to get any reamer specs from CZ. Easiest thing would be to smoke a long-seated dummy round and chamber it. Unless you have a Hornady OAL gauge.

Well, that sucks, I saw this and was thinking ooh, pleasant conversation. I just got a 557 Varmint recently but it was new. Personally I wonder if it would just be easier to reach out to CZ and see how much a replacement bolt would be, but that doesn't change the potential chamber and stock issue. My understanding is they are pretty good customer service, besides never know how they might answer (though the warranty is almost certainly void.)
Hopefully you get some good news and didn't pay too much for this.

Well, that sucks, I saw this and was thinking ooh, pleasant conversation. I just got a 557 Varmint recently but it was new. Personally I wonder if it would just be easier to reach out to CZ and see how much a replacement bolt would be, but that doesn't change the potential chamber and stock issue. My understanding is they are pretty good customer service, besides never know how they might answer (though the warranty is almost certainly void.)
Hopefully you get some good news and didn't pay too much for this.
There's no way any manufacturer will sell you a replacement bolt for one of their rifles. To much liability for the inevitable idiot who would just throw it in their gun and fire it.
I bet the rifle in question is fine as-is. 308 isn't a fussy round that requires specific data on the chamber to find a good load.

There's no way any manufacturer will sell you a replacement bolt for one of their rifles. To much liability for the inevitable idiot who would just throw it in their gun and fire it.
I bet the rifle in question is fine as-is. 308 isn't a fussy round that requires specific data on the chamber to find a good load.
A lot of manufacturers that may be the case, but CZ sells basically every part of every one of their guns except frames/receivers.
http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/537306313885_Bolt-Complete-550-Standard
https://shop.cz-usa.com/czpartslists/CZ550STANDARD.pdf is an interactive parts menu that lets you select what you need. Please note not everything has an option to select, but the complete bolt does.
Edit: That being said you are right that it probably is safe, but still would want to be sure.

Looking at the original post I don't think I understood the actual question.

Are you interested in finding out if the headspace is in spec? If your question is about headspace being in spec, either take it to a smith or borrow a set of go/no-go gauges and check it. It's easy the bolt closes on the go gauge and not on the no-go you are fine. If it closes on the no-go then the chamber is too long to the shoulder.

As for freebore get a Hornady OAL gauge setup with a 308 case, and get the Base to Ogive (BTO) measurement for the bullet you are loading; however, I would imagine that if you are loading bullets that are "normal" for a 308 (i.e., <185gr) and loading to mag length (<2.80 OAL) then you should be fine loading what ever you want by the loading manuals. If you get into single load competition shooting and loading bullets to longer than mag length then you need to know where your lands are and I don't know how you could reload w/o an OAL tool.

Looking at the original post I don't think I understood the actual question.

Are you interested in finding out if the headspace is in spec? If your question is about headspace being in spec, either take it to a smith or borrow a set of go/no-go gauges and check it. It's easy the bolt closes on the go gauge and not on the no-go you are fine. If it closes on the no-go then the chamber is too long to the shoulder.

As for freebore get a Hornady OAL gauge setup with a 308 case, and get the Base to Ogive (BTO) measurement for the bullet you are loading; however, I would imagine that if you are loading bullets that are "normal" for a 308 (i.e., <185gr) and loading to mag length (<2.80 OAL) then you should be fine loading what ever you want by the loading manuals. If you get into single load competition shooting and loading bullets to longer than mag length then you need to know where your lands are and I don't know how you could reload w/o an OAL tool.
you make a poor mans OAL gauge.

I just picked up a CZ 550 varmint in .308 yesterday. The gun has a 26" barrel not the 25.5 like all the tech specs state. The gun has the H-S precision stock.

This is a second hand gun and upon further inspection the bolt has been lapped and the face trued. Trigger is the stock set trigger but it has also had work done to it as well. The stock after taking away from the action has been sanded and 1 pillar was glassed in at the tang area of the stock.

My question is 1 why would the just pillar that one hole and 2 does anyone have any knowledge of the throat depth on this style action and barrel?
I would think that someone thought that lapping the bolt and truing the face was a accuracy upgrade?
How did you figure out this work was done.
I know a lot of old timers who would polish the bolt face ?
Lapping a bolt, did thet lap just the lugs or other parts as well.
The stock? HS stocks- are thier stocks glass bedded in any way? Yours was sanded to fit? How so. For $500 for a HS I would hope sanding would be minimum.

Back
Top Bottom