CZ 527 Carbine ammo question.

Laura

NES Member
Shooting outdoors, which is the better 7.69X39 ammo for this gun?

123 grain FMJ steel case Wolf
122 grain cooper FMJ steel case
TulAmmo range friendly 122 grain FMJ steel case

In my general observation, Wolf ammo is more consistent than Tulammo. Consistent ammo is more likely to group better.

However, with the CZ 527, I'd try and shoot better quality ammo than Tula or Wolf steel unless its all you happen to have and you have a bunch of AKs to also satiate. The 527 is typically either a bench or hunting rifle; meaning, accuracy matters. Depends on what you're using the rifle for.

In my general observation, Wolf ammo is more consistent than Tulammo. Consistent ammo is more likely to group better.

However, with the CZ 527, I'd try and shoot better quality ammo than Tula or Wolf steel unless its all you happen to have and you have a bunch of AKs to also satiate. The 527 is typically either a bench or hunting rifle; meaning, accuracy matters. Depends on what you're using the rifle for.

Ammo choices these days are hard to come by; I'm just looking to shoot for enjoyment and accuracy and I'd like something that works well.

I'd say shoot all varieties and see if any outperform the other. I'd think they'd all work outdoors. Bullet and case composition may limit indoor applications, but outside I doubt most ranges prohibit any of your choices. If you intend to roll your own, I've seen Igman and Belom boxer-primed brass-cased ammo available for reasonable.

Ammo choices these days are hard to come by; I'm just looking to shoot for enjoyment and accuracy and I'd like something that works well.

If you really want to have fun with the 527 and get accurate results, try handloading for it. Otherwise, I'd try and stick with brass cased ammo made by mid-tier Euro manufacturers like PPU or S&B. I've never been impressed by American ammo in metric cartridges like 7.62x39 for how much they charge.

Wolf and Tula shoot about 3-4MOA on average from what I've seen. I'm sure someone will come along and say they get 1-2MOA with Wolf or Tula, but that hasn't been my observation.

Does your range restrict what kind of cases or bullets you can use?

Of the 3 choices...

110334.jpg

For a few pennies more...

111984.jpg

For a few pennies less...

I'd try this:

112093.jpg

If you really want to have fun with the 527 and get accurate results, try handloading for it. Otherwise, I'd try and stick with brass cased ammo made by mid-tier Euro manufacturers like PPU or S&B. I've never been impressed by American ammo in metric cartridges like 7.62x39 for how much they charge.

Wolf and Tula shoot about 3-4MOA on average from what I've seen. I'm sure someone will come along and say they get 1-2MOA with Wolf or Tula, but that hasn't been my observation.

Does your range restrict what kind of cases or bullets you can use?
I'm sure I'll find out soon enough....It will be outdoor shooting so I'll ask when I'm ready to head down to the club to use it.

When I owned a CZ527 [still kicking myself for parting with it] that thing spit out anything you put through it with remarkable accuracy - really shows you the potential of the 7.62x39 round. My best groups were with brass cased Prvi Partizan, close to 2 MOA cause I suck at range. The gun itself can probably do 1 MOA with that particular cartridge in a vice.

The 527 likes the .311 projectiles.
any steel case Russian stuff will shoot well.
if Tula and wolf are the same price you’d always choose wolf, but it’s not a big deal.

From my son's, I got the impression the thing is designed to excel with the cheap stuff, not that you can't do better, surely. He just has a receiver peep on his, so I'm not sure what the accuracy is at 100 yards. Hitting clays on the berm at 110 yards with Tula is not that difficult. Hard to know if the one that misses is your fault or not, I guess.

Shooting outdoors, which is the better 7.69X39 ammo for this gun?

123 grain FMJ steel case Wolf
122 grain cooper FMJ steel case
TulAmmo range friendly 122 grain FMJ steel case
That's a great rifle, and the one that got away for me- got rid of it in a very shortsighted trade

Some of the imported ammo brands have steel core bullets under a copper coating. They'll pockmark the hell out of a steel indoor range backstop, and you'll be persona non grata. Our club provides a magnet at each station to check. (Not talking about steel cases, just the bullet heads.)

Some of the imported ammo brands have steel core bullets under a copper coating. They'll pockmark the hell out of a steel indoor range backstop, and you'll be persona non grata. Our club provides a magnet at each station to check. (Not talking about steel cases, just the bullet heads.)
I don't plan on shooting it indoors.

Lots of import has steel jackets clad in copper and or zinc

My info says that the 527 was designed around Russian steel case ammo.
. I've 2 of them and the only thing I did to them is replace the firing pin springs as the factory springs tend to wear quickly.

It looks like they've discontinued the 527, and the only "600" model chambered in 7.62x39 is their pricey "trail" model.

The CZ 600 line is designed to have interchangeable barrels and bolt heads. The wood stocked version of the 600 is available in 7.62x39.

The wood stocked version of the 600 is available in 7.62x39.

Is it? It's not showing under the Lux model for me. However, I missed the less pricey plastic one yesterday: the Alpha will be available in 7.62x39. No irons on the Alpha, though. What I find really cool about the 527 with irons is how light and handy it is. Under the 600 line, it looks like the closest thing would be an Alpha with a red dot...or the Trail, which seems too pricey for what it is, but maybe I'm missing something there.

Savage rifles arevno different for the most part. Depending on the action size undo the action nut remove/ replace barrel set head space with head space gauges tighten action nut good to go. With the 600 you don't need head space gauges 3 torx screws to remove pop in new barrel tighten torx screws and done.

Back
Top Bottom