• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

cz-52

magoo

NES Member
Just picked up a cz-52. It's in ex con. Blued small import marked. All # are the same. It came with two mags. It was a 53 on frame. Is It the date made or rebuilt date. Looks new No weir on slide Paid $285 out the door.[smile]

53 would be the original date.

I'm amazed at how expensive these guns are now. When they were first offered they were around $145 and a friend of mine got a non refurb in original parkerized finish just by asking the distributor for one. Mine came blued and thinking back I should have asked for a non refurb. It'd probably be worth at least over $300.

Luckily with surplus ammo so cheap, the price of comercial non-corrosive ammo is still very affordable. Thats great if you're lazy like me and don't like to clean your guns for a while after shooting.[grin]

Enjoy your range time with it. They are a lot of fun. Watch out for the brass though. Those CZs fling brass a good 10-15yards with authority. Oh, and watch out for the trigger slap. Yowsa!! [wink]

Did not shot it today try are fixing pistol range at my club. I got a case of ammo for my other gun. A Yugo m57 I will have to stock up on some cases. My gun dealer sells it for around $13.00 A box of 70 rd's you can find it at a better price if you look around.

Nice little firearm.

I bought mine from an (unnamed) online C&R vendor when they were easily available.

Cons: The sights are awful and take a bit of getting used to.

Avoid the temptation to dry fire it... the firing pin is brittle and can be prone to breaking. Stronger aftermarket firing pins can be found online.

The grips that came with mine looked like crap. I replaced them with a set of black ones that blend in nicely and really compliment the appearance (not a con really... just a matter of taste).

Unless absolutely necessary... do not disassemble the mag latch/hammer strut spring; it's a major PITA to get back on.

Pros: See USMA-82's post, any handgun ammo that can penetrate soft body armor and get the gun-grabbers in an uproar is worth owning on principle alone. [smile]

I always doubted the capability of the 7.62x25 round until I read this chapter from the "Box 'o Truth" website:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

Enjoy your range time with it. They are a lot of fun. Watch out for the brass though. Those CZs fling brass a good 10-15yards with authority. Oh, and watch out for the trigger slap. Yowsa!! [wink]

I've heard a lot of complaints about CZ52 trigger slap. Mine has none whatsoever.

I always doubted the capability of the 7.62x25 round until I read this chapter from the "Box 'o Truth" website:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot29.htm

There was an article in one of the Surplus Firearms magazines a few years ago on the TT33. The author did the same thing but with a WWII USGI helmet. 9mm round would not penetrate, .45 would not either. 7.62x25 punched right through one side and embedded in the other. It's a nasty little round and I would not want to carry it for SD as that round will go through many many things in it's path.

I've heard a lot of complaints about CZ52 trigger slap. Mine has none whatsoever.

You my friend are very lucky. That slap will numb your finger after a few mags. I've looked for fixes on a number of forums to try and fix it, but so far nobody has a sure fire way to resolve it. Great gun to shoot, but in short periods of time.

I found replacing the firing pin, plunger and plunger spring with Harrington's Competition Firing Pin and Trigger Enhancement kit greatly reduced the trigger pull and trigger slap. I did have to file the extractor for clearance as they suggest. However, I did not like the fact that it completely eliminated the firing pin safety.

The original plunger acts as both a firing pin safety and firing pin return which is why the plunger spring is so stiff and contributes greatly to both trigger weight and slap. The replacement plunger eliminates both of these functions and the replacement firing pin has no step for a safety. I figured that using the original plunger with a replacement plunger spring, firing pin spring and a firing pin that worked with the original plunger and a return spring would give the best of both.

To do this I machined the front of a hardened replacement firing pin to match the profile of the kit firing pin. The key here was to make sure the nose was thick enough for strength, but slim enough so as not to stick in the firing pin hole in the breech (can you say "full-auto"). Once this was done I reassembled it with the machined firing pin, the original plunger and the springs from the Harrington kit. It worked like a charm. The trigger pull is somewhere in the 5-7 lb range, much smoother with much less trigger slap, and the firing pin safety works.

Since I did this I see that Harrington has come out with a replacement firing pin that looks like what I made. I cannot say for sure that it works the exactly the same way, but it looks like it should. I think these two items, plus their replacement extractor, would allow someone to recreate what I did without having to cut (as much?) metal.

IANAGs, YMMV, CE

Careful... Saiga"s shotguns are addictive and multiply.[smile]

Very true, very very true!! Saiga do have that ability.

As to the CZ 52 you got a good deal. I have seen them as high as $395 with one magazine. As ray stated they were at one time very common and you could pick up a non refurb for short money. In fact I bought a crate , no not a crate of the pistols, but the crate they were shipped to the states in. When I picked the crate up from the local distributor here in Ma. he had them stated to the ceiling, they were full of pristine handguns. Ahh those were the days.

Do yourself a favor and buy an extra firing pin.The originals are a bit brittle and are prone to break. I have yet to have one break but I played it safe and bought a pack of two.

Enjoy your new addition.

Also surplus ammo is DIRT cheap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom