CZ 457 Precision Varmint

richc

NES Member
I recently bought a CZ 457 Precision Varmint .22 rifle. I've been fiddling with it, including adjusting the trigger pull, the length of pull and height of the cheek rest. Also added a 3-9 Leupold rimfire scope and Harris bipod.

Shot today at 100 yards and was picking off small pieces of sporting clays with ease. Then I put up a target at 50 yards to get some results on paper. I guessed at 12 clicks down for 50 yards.

Here's the first group at 50 yards. That's 5 shots. I'm not that good a shot. It's all the rifle.

I think I'm in love!

:)

1619644817504.png

Wolf Match Target .22.
Yeah, that makes sense. Is that recent production (Eley) or older (SK)? That's solid - the rifle is a big part of that (so are you, don't underestimate your part). Good to see CZ still makes 'em right.

Yeah, that makes sense. Is that recent production (Eley) or older (SK)? That's solid - the rifle is a big part of that (so are you, don't underestimate your part). Good to see CZ still makes 'em right.

I've had the ammo for a while. Measured in 5+ years. Not sure who made it, though. It is quite oily.

Take it to 100yds and further- 457 is indeed amazing. I was very impressed with its groups, and the feeling is amazing when it places every shot where you aim it at.

There is a YouTube of a lady breaking an egg from 300yds with it.

It’s also surprisingly good with just CCI SV. Great bang for the buck.

They are kind of hard to find right now though

I recently bought a CZ 457 Precision Varmint .22 rifle. I've been fiddling with it, including adjusting the trigger pull, the length of pull and height of the cheek rest. Also added a 3-9 Leupold rimfire scope and Harris bipod.

Shot today at 100 yards and was picking off small pieces of sporting clays with ease. Then I put up a target at 50 yards to get some results on paper. I guessed at 12 clicks down for 50 yards.

Here's the first group at 50 yards. That's 5 shots. I'm not that good a shot. It's all the rifle.

I think I'm in love!

:)

View attachment 477376
I was just looking at one yesterday. You’re confirming my thoughts.

I picked up 500 rounds of the newest wolf match extra and it was a bit lacking vs some older production. I did not do a side by side so it could just be me getting old also
SK standard plus does well at the price point as does CCI most lots.
Its all in constancy , put some 22lr over a chrony and you will see. Cheap shit bulk you can hear and feel the differences in shot to shot inconstancy.

Last edited:
I picked up 500 rounds of the newest wolf match extra and it was a bit lacking vs some older production. I did not do a side by side so it could just be me getting old also
Thanks - I asked in part because people on rimfire boards have been commenting on the Eley-made Wolf Match not being quite as good as the earlier SK-made Wolf Match. Given that, with the SK-made stuff people often saw only marginal difference between the match and match-extra, my gut is SK was testing by lot, and assigning them to match or match-extra, and some of the regular match batches were pretty much match-extra. Eley may be making them with a bigger separation between match and match-extra. DUNNO. I'm surprised the Match Extra isn't about as good, but, it IS a different manufacturer, so it's a different round of sorts, so you may be back to square 1 of "What shoots best in my rifle?"

I have some CCI Green Tag in the basement. How's the quality and consistency of that?
I have not tried any, ever. It's a step up from CCI SV by definition but it seems to be one of those that shoots great out of some rifles and below-match-grade out of others per online posted testing results. A lot of tests of it show poor results compared to plain CCI SV. Some show it to be as accurate as it's intended. So, it's a "see how your rifle likes it" round; it seems to me more of a "try and see" round than Wolf Match/SK Standard Plus. I mean all 22LR is "see how your rifle likes it" but some rounds sure have a lot less variability across platforms.

I just bought a 457 two weeks ago and now and I haven't anjoyed shooting this much in ages. I bench rest shoot it with a 2-7x32 Vortex scope and get 3/4inch groups at 100 yards with good ammo. I can do the same at 50 with shite ammo all day long too. Problem is trying to find good ammo for it these days...

Anyone know a cz dealer with some 22 rifles in stock in ma or nh. Was looking at these lately and now i need one. Been looking at the 455,457 but now i want a varmint. Looks like fun.

Anyone know a cz dealer with some 22 rifles in stock in ma or nh. Was looking at these lately and now i need one. Been looking at the 455,457 but now i want a varmint. Looks like fun.
never saw it at a dealer, but, what for?

$729 is ok-ish, i got mine i think for $709, if you search more may be it can be possible to get even cheaper.

Cool thanks. Its in stock too.
the principle question is to decide upon the model, really, if you do want a chassis or not, and the barrel length. you can see on first link there are plenty of those in stock.
with .22 20" actually shoots slower then 18". anyway, i bet you know yourself what to look for, so i will shut up.

Appreciate it. Im new to these so not that knowledgeable yet on all the differences. Will need to do some research for sure. Did not know the 20” is slower.

Does it really need a new trigger? From what I'm reading, the 457s have superb triggers. Like, CZ really nailed it. Unlike the 452 where you either had to play with springs until you got something decent or, as I did, replace with a Rifle Basix... or the 455s where the same thing applied, but the set trigger pull was pretty awesome.

Back
Top Bottom