• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CW - For Real this Time

I haven't been keeping this up to date, but I've gotten pretty good with call signs, simple pleasantries (GM, TU, etc) and I've done a few POTA activations on CW. I want to get going on real QSOs, but as soon as someone goes off script I'm lost. Then they ask me a question and I have no idea. I've been listening to QSOs when I can find them, and of course youtube has a lot.

I keep looking for the basic SKCC exchange and from what I can tell, it depends. Is it a WES "contest"? Is it just a regular day? Is it some other event?

For you pros out there, is my best bet to write out a script to keep in front of me, and call CQ so I can control the QSO?

Listen and listen often. Tune around the lower part of all bands, listen to QSOs and contests faster than what you think you can copy and pick out what you can and then... continue listening.

Same way a new ham should listen to the local repeater to get the flow before engaging with a QSO.

So today (Wednesday) The 1-hour CWOps CWT contest at 8a, 2p and 10p- but those can be pretty fast...
but;
The SST events on Mondays and Fridays are well attended and perfect for what you are looking for, maybe.

Many prefer not-contesting; I am a 'contester' so guidance given as a contester who does not like to 'ragchew' very much at all.

Keep it up OM.

UJay

Thanks, I'm getting much better. I need to work on not trying to anticipate what they're sending so I don't get thrown off when it's not what I expected.

This weekend is the SKCC WES (Weekend Sprint) and NA QSO Party (North America). I'll see if I have the stones to start my journey to the first 100 QSOs.

My SK speed is limited by my sending. I actually copy better a little faster than I can send. I've been practicing with my little portable key which is more difficult to be smooth with, but I figured if I can get good with that, I can be good with a proper key, which for me is a J-38.

I was playing some videos in the background today and a guy did 2-letter combos, no spacing. AAABACADAE...ZZ. He was smooth as hell as far as I cared to listen. I gave it a try and was less smooth, but not awful. I think if I had the alphabet in front of me I'd do better. It became really obvious where I was starting to tense up. Relax again and everything smoothed out.

Good grief, I just spent over an hour trying to figure out the info for an SKCC special station. I think they were changing operators or something because sometimes they gave the club name and call, sometimes a personal name and number, sometimes the same guy's name with the club number; it just kept changing. I'd just get it down and they'd give a different one. And it sounded like their key wasn't working so they kept switching back and forth to a bug, which I cannot copy.

Anyway, I abandoned that, found someone else, and got my first SKCC contact in the log. Only 99 more to go for my goal this year.

Once I get better at copying the numbers I should be able to run a frequency for a while and rack up some QSOs. Their logging program is nice and fills in the info once you have one piece, but I'm trying to get good at copying so I want to copy it all myself.

NAQP - I'm out.

Alright, so I hiked up my panties and called CQ for a bit. I got a few, had contesters stomp me out a few times, then I got on a short run when suddenly the guy I had just worked started answering calls like it was him who was doing the calling. The heck? I figured it was time for supper anyway.

And I had a guy QRL? me. I sent back "C" twice. Then he started calling CQ right over me.

Straight key operating is some cutthroat shit, son.

I ended up with a whopping 20 QSOs in 8.5 hrs. Most recently I called CQ on 40 for almost half an hour straight before someone finally came back. The reverse beacon said I was getting out there loud, but people must have been having supper.

And if I'm gonna brag, my straight key game is tight. When I was calling CQ I started making my final "K" a little exaggerated lest someone should think I was cheating and using a keyer.

I've been doing the 2-letter combos everyday and I think it's helping. I don't do it like the guy I learned it from where AA-AZ is one word, but by the time halfway through the Bs I couldn't pass a field sobriety test... BL BM BR BW BF [hmmm]

Sweet.

When I was trying to build speed, along with a long work commute, I would convert some book or document to code. ~( lower 475-500 hz at the maximum speed where I missed most, 20 WPM min!) I remember the book I converted was something with much of the old English = thou art thee... And when I was tired of listening to that I would rattlle off all number plates and commercial truck lettering in my head before they passed...

didahdah didah didahdidit dahdah didah didahdit dah

Seemed to work.

3.5 hours in NAQP last night after helping in-laws move to a new house.

UJay

Sweet.

When I was trying to build speed, along with a long work commute, I would convert some book or document to code. ~( lower 475-500 hz at the maximum speed where I missed most, 20 WPM min!) I remember the book I converted was something with much of the old English = thou art thee... And when I was tired of listening to that I would rattlle off all number plates and commercial truck lettering in my head before they passed...

didahdah didah didahdidit dahdah didah didahdit dah

Seemed to work.

3.5 hours in NAQP last night after helping in-laws move to a new house.

UJay
I was hoping you were spelling something better [wink].

I put a little more time into the WES today from the Super Secret Squirrel Location. I got a few more in the log but not too crazy. I like the casual pace and slower speed, but if there's a pileup of even 3 people, you can be waiting 10 minutes for a QSO. But it's good practice copying what everyone is sending. And after one weekend I'm about 1/4 of the way toward my goal of 100 SKCC contacts this year.

I was testing the propane heater today, which seemed to raise the temp from 34 to 45 degrees in 3 hrs. In that same time it dropped from about 32 to 18 degrees outside, with whipping wind. If I hadn't worked up a sweat shoveling for 1.5 hrs first I would have been reasonably comfortable. The SSSL has a tall ceiling, so there's a lot of volume to warm up before you start to feel it. But I'm at least optimistic that I won't freeze to death this year for Winter Field Day.

I've got a hair up (across?) my ass about making either a straight key or side swiper (cootie). I've been fascinated with torsion bar cooties since I heard about W1SFR making them on a podcast about a year ago. If you're an ARRL member there's an article with plans in the December 1982 issue of QST magazine.

They look really elegant but the parts don't seem terribly complicated to make. Without buying tools I'd likely be doing a lot of filing, but it's brass so it shouldn't be too awful for a fun hobby project. Mine probably wouldn't be quite so nice since I don't have all the tools, but I'm tempted to take a stab at it. Gotta find a source for brass. I've bought small metal pieces on ebay before.

Ones made by W1SFR, originally based on the article:

1705359279400.png

The Sideswiper he made (makes?) for SKCC members:

1705359094463.png

A more realistic version:

1705359431532.png

I was hoping you were spelling something better [wink].
LOL!! Sorry OM.

Was thinking of what I would rattle off on the highway. Not interesting, but built speed.

I have a little 12v diesel heater in the 12x12' external shack works awesome. Not fast, but once it catches up it is good.

UJay

LOL!! Sorry OM.

Was thinking of what I would rattle off on the highway. Not interesting, but built speed.

I have a little 12v diesel heater in the 12x12' external shack works awesome. Not fast, but once it catches up it is good.

UJay
;)

I tried out the little heater that screws to the top of the tank tonight in the freezing ass basement and it seem to throw a good amount of heat. I know they're not for indoors but I might use it to get a head start then switch to the other one to leave running.

I never heard of the diesel heaters until recently and now I hear a lot about them. I don't have power either, but if they don't need much maybe I could use my little battery "power station" or whatever those are called. Ideally I'd just get off my ass and make that propane tank wood stove I've been thinking about for years.

Propane heaters like the tank top one create shittons of moisture from what I recall.

The 12v Diesel heater does suck up loads of current 8-12A when the glow plug is firing up, but once it is going - it uses very little.
They must be vented outside. 2x <1.25" hoses intake and exhaust. The exhaust tube gets hot.

Before the diesel heater I wanted to get one of those propane heaters that are in RV's or pop-up campers, also need to be vented out.

I've got this style which doesn't need to be vented. I'm hoping if it doesn't have to compete with 18 degrees and windy it'll keep me warm.

1705414012689.png

Yeah, I've heard the top mount ones cause a lot of condensation. I don't really understand how one propane fire does and one doesn't, but I didn't have any trouble last weekend. But it didn't get terribly warm either.

Boy this got sidetracked.

I was out in the woods today with a QRP rig. Normally I do pretty well with it, but today not so much. I did work Sweden and Germany, so I guess it worked ;)

The radio has some decode capability which I normally ignore, but someone launched into a full QSO on me and it came in handy. Not only was I not prepared for that, I really don't know how to do them. Once I figured out what was going on, I tried to follow his lead but my sending got extra sloppy, my paddle started sticking, and I didn't really have any idea what I was doing. But I had been calling forever without any response so I just did my best to hack my way through the QSO.

Then a hiker showed up and started talking. I wasn't having much luck anyway so I talked to him for a while.

I really need my new paddle to get here. I'm sick of this one constantly giving me trouble. I'm not even sure I want to keep this around as a backup. It was sticking today, which is new.

I got the Bamatech BaMaKeY TP-III today. It didn't magically fix the mountain topper, but what a fantastic paddle it is. It's exactly what you'd expect from a German manufacturer.

I also ordered the leg strap which is little more than a metal plate with a strap, but playing around with it it's gonna work out nicely. Simple, but well done.

Third I got their knee board which looks like a piece of plastic with holes drilled in it, and it is. But they use little barbed elastics to hold your radio, a battery, whatever. Just feed the elastics through whichever holes work and you're golden. It has has a removable clipboard clip with a few different mounting options. That's gonna be nice to hold my log book open and keep it from blowing away. The only thing it doesn't have is a leg strap. If it turns out I want that I can just add that myself.

Overall: 5/5 stars. I would have liked it to fix my Mtn Topper, but I've already figured out that's a me vs keyer problem.

They don't give these away, but using it for five minutes you see why. Just a really nice piece of kit.

I just heard about this tonight. It's like Wordle in that you get a new word everyday. You get 21 guesses. It sends at 40wpm and every 3 guesses it drops by 5wpm.

I guess in some CW circles they post their scores everyday. I'm gonna start doing it in the morning. WA1GOV on X usually posts a sentence at a speed I can copy, and I try and get that early. It usually takes me two tries to get the whole thing.

I didn't quite understand how it worked, but I got today's at 30wpm.

I just heard about this tonight. It's like Wordle in that you get a new word everyday. You get 21 guesses. It sends at 40wpm and every 3 guesses it drops by 5wpm.

I guess in some CW circles they post their scores everyday. I'm gonna start doing it in the morning. WA1GOV on X usually posts a sentence at a speed I can copy, and I try and get that early. It usually takes me two tries to get the whole thing.

I didn't quite understand how it worked, but I got today's at 30wpm.

That is pretty cool, but on the first try, when I tried to type as I heard the characters, it played the letters as I typed them.... So you have to listen, remember, and then type it in.

Try Rufz for speed building. Same concept where it speeds up if you are correct and slows if you missed something.

UJay

Yeah, that's distracting and feels like cheating. You can turn off the sounds when you type. They must run off UTC because I can't get a new word this morning.

It's awful quiet in the Ham section lately, so I'll share my Morsle stats. One time I almost got it at 40wpm but was one letter short. I've tried a bunch of practice words too with similar results. Got one at 40 though.

1711546498873.png

Back
Top Bottom