CVS and Walgreens announce changes to firearms policies, ask shoppers to not bring guns in

Walgreens owns rite aid so good luck there.
Walgreens owns slightly less than half of the Rite Aid stores. Another company put in a bid for the other 52%, but some stockholders got greedy and rejected that bid, so they wound up holding the bag without a buyout.

I've noticed that Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS all used similar language: "We request that customers not open carry firearms in our stores."

They didn't ban carry. They didn't ban open carry. They didn't even ban concealed carry.

I have seen an internal memo from another major chain that adopted the same "we request" language. It says (not verbatim), "We will not stop and question anyone who is openly carrying a weapon. If approached by other customers in one of our stores in an open carry state, we will thank them for their concern, but explain that open carry is legal in this state."

It also says that anyone carrying who seems nervous or otherwise a possible threat, should be dealt with exactly the same as anyone else who seems like a threat.

Last edited:
I agree 99%, but age is just a number... I'm in the 50+ club & IDGAF regarding their policies.
Otherwise, carry on.

The only reason I bring up age is there's basically an archetype on a bunch of gunboards where its like 50+ white males basically worshipping binding signage, etc. Not so much on NES but other places, as if some gnome with a metal detector is suddenly going to materialize out of the woodwork and bust them for dishonoring a sign. [laugh]

Walgreens owns slightly less than half of the Rite Aid stores. Another company put in a bid for the other 52%, but some stockholders got greedy and rejected that bid, so they wound up holding the bag without a buyout.

I've noticed that Walmart, Walgreens, and CVS all used similar language: "We request that customers not open carry firearms in our stores."

They didn't ban carry. They didn't even ban concealed carry.

I have seen an internal memo from another major chain that adopted the same "we request" language. It says (not verbatim), "We will not stop and question anyone who is openly carrying a weapon. If approached by other customers in one of our stores in an open carry state, we will thank them for their concern, but explain that open carry is legal in this state."

It also says that anyone carrying who seems nervous or otherwise a possible threat, should be dealt with exactly the same as anyone else who seems like a threat.

in other words it's just like the starbucks carry ban that really isn't an actual ban.....

My gun instructor when I went for the course to get my LTC-A taught us all about this. How sad just 3 years later and it has to come to use. I never forgot. Signs are to be ignored. Verbal warning must be given. A sign does not constitute verbal warning. Good luck telling me not to carry what you cant see in this concealed carry state.

f*** CVS

The only reason I bring up age is there's basically an archetype on a bunch of gunboards where its like 50+ white males basically worshipping binding signage, etc. Not so much on NES but other places, as if some gnome with a metal detector is suddenly going to materialize out of the woodwork and bust them for dishonoring a sign. [laugh]

in other words it's just like the starbucks carry ban that really isn't an actual ban.....

No blood no foul [cheers]
Certainly don't mean to sound like a friggin snowflake, just trying to remind folks that all 50+ are not fudds.
Hell, you want us on your side - we don't generally move as fast so well draw the fire [smile]
Then again, "Old Age And Cunning Will Overcome Youth And Skill Every Time"

(Post hoisted out of order for Teh Emphasis):
With the opioid problem being what it is, every time I am waiting for a prescription I wonder if I am going to find myself in the middle of an armed robbery.
^ THIS.

Bad things happen in Gun Free Zones.
I'd long ago concluded that if some addict tried robbing the pharmacy,
I'd nope out of there like a Nope Badger.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I'll just shelter in the candy aisle,
and open a bag of dark chocolate Dove nodes.

No blood no foul [cheers]
Certainly don't mean to sound like a friggin snowflake, just trying to remind folks that all 50+ are not fudds.
Hell, you want us on your side - we don't generally move as fast so well draw the fire [smile]
Then again, "Old Age And Cunning Will Overcome Youth And Skill Every Time"
Yup, we have nothing to lose. We’re going to die soon anyways.

With the opioid problem being what it is, every time I am waiting for a prescription I wonder if I am going to find myself in the middle of an armed robbery.

Hopefully not where you live or work (which is probably where you're picking up your prescriptions), or at least hopefully not during business hours. If this really is a concern, you can get prescriptions filled by mail, which is often less expensive and can be more convenient.

So they want to enact a policy that is guaranteed to get the most people killed if someone decides to commit mass murder in their stores. Idiots!

Yes. An awful lot, maybe most?, "mass" shootings seem to take place in places that are gun-free zones.

From the President of CVS, nothing about open carry or concealed. He is requesting that you do not bring firearms into the stores.

Attachments

• 0D64324A-95FF-4D94-9FBB-E6B796C2D087.jpeg
    0D64324A-95FF-4D94-9FBB-E6B796C2D087.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 8

With the .gov crackdown on pills I'm honestly surprised that they even sell them through regular pharmacies at all anymore. People are not getting scripts for pills like they
used to, unless they have an older doctor and a longtime patient and enough paperwork to back up that script. Lots of shit that isn't even opiiods is heavily regulated
now, too. Trying to rob a pharmacy for opiates, without some kind of insider knowledge about what is getting dropped there, is about as dumb as some guy trying to rob a 7-11 or a McdDoudenals. They're not exactly going to get a treasure trove.

-Mike

With the .gov crackdown on pills I'm honestly surprised that they even sell them through regular pharmacies at all anymore. People are not getting scripts for pills like they
used to, unless they have an older doctor and a longtime patient and enough paperwork to back up that script. Lots of shit that isn't even opiiods is heavily regulated
now, too. Trying to rob a pharmacy for opiates, without some kind of insider knowledge about what is getting dropped there, is about as dumb as some guy trying to rob a 7-11 or a McdDoudenals. They're not exactly going to get a treasure trove.

-Mike
OK I feel safer now.

Hopefully not where you live or work (which is probably where you're picking up your prescriptions), or at least hopefully not during business hours. If this really is a concern, you can get prescriptions filled by mail, which is often less expensive and can be more convenient.

Yes. An awful lot, maybe most?, "mass" shootings seem to take place in places that are gun-free zones.
Well yes it is a concern, but not enough so I am going to avoid prescription counters. But at the same time enough of a concern so I am still going to carry no matter how much the pharmacy may not like it.

I do understand your point though. There are many places I avoid because I don’t want to end up part of a crime scene. But I am still going to go the pharmacy for my prescriptions and anything else I might need.

So they want me to unholster the gun in their parking lot, pop out the mag and lock it up in the vehicle (possibly being seen while doing this)? Then, reverse that when I return to the vehicle? They didn't think this through.
Exactly the logic used when Hopkinton Sportsmens got rid of their "Complain about getting a restricted LTC if you want, but don't you dare carry in the clubhouse" rule. That was decades ago, so we're talking about a pre-clintonian era.

Concealed means concealed

If an establishment posts a "Gun Free Zone" sign and I ignore it, and then asks me to leave because they notice I'm concealed carrying, I would just put down whatever items I had intended to purchase and just leave. No big deal. There are plenty of places that will take my cash.

While this has never happened to me, and I carry all the time, I'm prepared to walk out at anytime.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom